Dear ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dear ESPN

So I wonder if ESPN will address this issue, or will they pass this off as nothing but a bunch of disgruntled "local yokels"?

Because I'm sure Fox Sports Net would LOVE to take over the contract.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

They "should" give us good coverage in our first game at least to "atone" for screwing up our conference tourament coverage to half the nation.Here's link to their "planned " coverage.
      http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...80%99s-tourney

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
        Let's hope the bigwigs at ESPN don't read this... they might just hire Tyler out from under us... although that would present an opportunity for another radio announcer... maybe one from SDSU... who has covered SDSU for his station... who is a 40-minute drive from Brookings? LOL
        Tyler does a fine job, but it is a long way to being called up to ESPN.

That being said, it wasn't the woman doing the play-by-play that screwed up. It was the color commentator who was inept. The PBP gal tried her best to repeatedly say South Dakota State whenever the other gal screwed up.

Evidently the ESPN crew did everything they could before, and during, the game to get the newbie to use the correct school. I hate that a hard working crew gets labeled as terrible because one idiot can't read the note on her monitor!
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          Tyler does a fine job, but it is a long way to being called up to ESPN.
          And the analyst's qualifications were what exactly? Graduating from Stanford?

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
            Might have to give Rosalyn Gold-Onwude a pass here. Recent women's basketball player grad. out of Stanford. The other SDSU was right up the road and she was the one who made the mistake. I guess it could work both ways, if I was doing a University of San Diego game I might slip and call them South Dakota.

People forget how big California is. San Diego State is not "right up the road" from Palo Alto; it's almost 500 miles away, about the same distance as it is between the real SDSU in Brookings and Western Illinois in Macomb.

Comment

Mistake #1 that ESPN made was having a person one year removed from college on a national broadcast. Does anyone pay their dues anymore? I would guess the woman in question here had at least a meeting about it.

The "non athlete" broadcasters at ESPN are all extremely professional and do a fantastic job. Most often when someone screws up like in our title game (or our Big 10 network games), it is a former athlete color person who does an awful job.

With that being said, Tyler (and TV) are both very young in the grand scheme and do a very good job, especially for someone their age. I think they both have very bright futures and wouldn't rule out jobs like ESPN at some point in the future.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                And the analyst's qualifications were what exactly? Graduating from Stanford?
                Well, as far as I know, Tyler never played basketball. Let alone women's basketball.

I would say that Megan Vogel would be a better fit. She has always done and excellent job doing color commentary and her love for the game really comes thru in her analysis.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Well, as far as I know, Tyler never played basketball. Let alone women's basketball.

I would say that Megan Vogel would be a better fit. She has always done and excellent job doing color commentary and her love for the game really comes thru in her analysis.
                  I think Megan Vogel would do fine as a color commentator,but she's really a coach first.She's going to be a really good head coach someday.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    Mistake #1 that ESPN made was having a person one year removed from college on a national broadcast. Does anyone pay their dues anymore? I would guess the woman in question here had at least a meeting about it.

The "non athlete" broadcasters at ESPN are all extremely professional and do a fantastic job. Most often when someone screws up like in our title game (or our Big 10 network games), it is a former athlete color person who does an awful job.

With that being said, Tyler (and TV) are both very young in the grand scheme and do a very good job, especially for someone their age. I think they both have very bright futures and wouldn't rule out jobs like ESPN at some point in the future.
                    I can barely stand to watch any ESPN broadcasts. I feel like most of their "national" broadcasters feel the need to interject themselves into the broadcast, much like a ref that thinks people come to the game to watch them ref. ESPN has gone down the drain for the past 10 years.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I do really enjoy ESPN game day crews for football and basketball. I enjoy those more then any NFL pregame shows.

Still not sure what I think about Mike Patrick and Len Elmore(SP). Mike gets a little to animated about some things IMO and Lens bias towards hating Duke seems pretty obvious. I like Dicky V, Jay Bilas Digger Phelps and Bob Knight doing games.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        I do really enjoy ESPN game day crews for football and basketball. I enjoy those more then any NFL pregame shows.

Still not sure what I think about Mike Patrick and Len Elmore(SP). Mike gets a little to animated about some things IMO and Lens bias towards hating Duke seems pretty obvious. I like Dicky V, Jay Bilas Digger Phelps and Bob Knight doing games.
                        Jay Bilas is as good as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

Interesting.

As a person with relatively neutral feelings about Duke basketball, I almost throw up watching Dicky V or Jay Bilas talk about Duke because they are so obviously in love with Duke and Coach K. Vitale could be calling an Oklahoma/Florida game, and he would talk about Duke at least half the game.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            No offense, but the game in question here was on ESPNU on a Tuesday afternoon, for a lower level league championship game. In the big picture for ESPN, this is exaclty the situation they are looking for to 'get someone's feet wet', or give someone a trial run, prior to the tournament.

Comment

And how would that qualify her for a job that requires speaking?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                                And how would that qualify her for a job that requires speaking?
                                Insight. Look at all the ex-players and coaches that have jobs with ESPN solely because of the insight they have. Most do not public speaking backgrounds and many aren't that great on TV (see: Smith, Emmitt) so it's not like ESPN is breaking precedent.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X