• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dear ESPN

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    Insight.
    I don't understand:

Is it your contention that playing basketball provides you with sufficient experience in the realm of 'not screwing up on air', or that 'not screwing up on air' is an overrated aspect of the business?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      I don't understand:

Is it your contention that playing basketball provides you with sufficient experience in the realm of 'not screwing up on air', or that 'not screwing up on air' is an overrated aspect of the business?
      Man, I missed you.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I don't understand:

I think that what is being said is that ESPN seems to enjoy hiring people that have experience and then hope that they pan out on the air.

As someone that is on the air everyday live, there isn't really anything that can prepare someone for what happens when the game starts.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I guess if your this little school from South Dakota your not supposed to have expectations that the talent hired to cover your event did their homework and knows how to correctly identify your team.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            I guess if your this little school from South Dakota your not supposed to have expectations that the talent hired to cover your event did their homework and knows how to correctly identify your team.
            The crew and the Play-by-Play announcer did their jobs great. It was the color commentator that screwed up and ruined everything. Sucks that we have to lump them all together...

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              I think that what is being said is that ESPN seems to enjoy hiring people that have experience and then hope that they pan out on the air.
              He knows the point I was making. He's just being Zooropa. That was a textbook post out of him. Good to see that after being gone for so long he's already back in form.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                Interesting.

As a person with relatively neutral feelings about Duke basketball, I almost throw up watching Dicky V or Jay Bilas talk about Duke because they are so obviously in love with Duke and Coach K. Vitale could be calling an Oklahoma/Florida game, and he would talk about Duke at least half the game.
                Dicky V loves a lot. I cant go a Duke game with him with out him mentioning North carolina or the Yankees, I dont see him showing favorites to duke over their opponents. Jay is fair, he talks a lot about duke because he played there but he does not pick them there year, every time to win. Heubert Davis is more of a homer for UNC and he is not affraid to show it but i still like him.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

He knows the point I was making. He's just being Zooropa. That was a textbook post out of him. Good to see that after being gone for so long he's already back in form.
                  You are right. I had forgotten the "ask questions because the post really doesn't have any substance tactic." I guess I will have to relearn it all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    Dicky V loves a lot. I cant go a Duke game with him with out him mentioning North carolina or the Yankees, I dont see him showing favorites to duke over their opponents. Jay is fair, he talks a lot about duke because he played there but he does not pick them there year, every time to win. Heubert Davis is more of a homer for UNC and he is not affraid to show it but i still like him.
                    Then you are a Duke fan. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                      The crew and the Play-by-Play announcer did their jobs great. It was the color commentator that screwed up and ruined everything. Sucks that we have to lump them all together...
                      In my eyes it's one production just like a team and the body of work is measured by the whole and not the individual parts.

Comment

Man, I missed you.
                        Here's the point, in a single declarative sentence:

It's not enough to know the basics of the game.

And you're still a jackass.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                          Jay Bilas is as good as it gets.
                          I agree - on the ESPN Bracketology show last night,you could tell he had really done his homework,even on the lesser known teams that were on the borderline of making the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            I agree - on the ESPN Bracketology show last night,you could tell he had really done his homework,even on the lesser known teams that were on the borderline of making the tournament.
                            Not saying Bilas doesn't work hard or do his homework, but his list of interns is probably longer than the entire ESPN crew in Sioux Falls last week.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Here's the point, in a single declarative sentence:

It's not enough to know the basics of the game.

And you're still a jackass.
                              And I didn't state that it was. I just stated ESPN's track record on hiring broadcasters.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                Interesting.

As a person with relatively neutral feelings about Duke basketball, I almost throw up watching Dicky V or Jay Bilas talk about Duke because they are so obviously in love with Duke and Coach K. Vitale could be calling an Oklahoma/Florida game, and he would talk about Duke at least half the game.
                                One of my friends actually sent Jay a message asking him this exact thing. He replied with a message and said that basically he is in a lose lose situation. If he picks Duke he's a homer and if he doesn't he's going against his team. I think he's absolutely fantastic and his twitter feed is one of the best out there. He's actually a really funny guy.
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X