New Era (or whatever you wanna call it with a new coach) OPENING DAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    I've seen their schedule, they've beat a good many teams way worse than us, and they used 3 of their best pitchers in the process.They are #3 in the Country for good reason. I think we showed fairly well, maybe we just weren't quite on enough to score some runs, but we held them down some what defensively. It was a good learning experience.
    FOR SURE!! they are very good, OBVIOUSLY!! and there is really nothing about our performance to be ashamed of. we did a lot of good things in the two games. also we were playing in stillwater and i feel like it is probably reasonable to think the ump might be a bit respectful of their reputation as opposed to ours

at the same time, i think these girls have the potential to be really really good and i hope they never settle for any moral victories and they find a way to grow from every challenge from either a loss or a victory

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

cannot remember now. maybe i can go back and look, but i believe they began the inning with 3 singles. like i said not super important, just found it a bit interesting
      I saw a box score where a team (FLA I think it was) scored 7 runs on 7 hits, then I've seen a thing where a team doesn't score any runs on multiple hits. So , although not that important ( the team either wins or loses) but very intriguing sometimes, and hard to figure out how sometimes too , just going by the box score and your not their to witness the game in real time.I don't worry about not remembering at all, as i've experienced that quite often the last 10-15 yrs ...

Comment

Jacks start the Conference season with the 3-0 sweep of St Thomas, after the unfortunate postponing of the 3 game series with W, Illinois. I watched the last game of the series and it was very enjoyable thanks to St Thomas for providing it at no cost on their web site, they have a very nice field, artificial turf installed . Started out scoreless for the first 4 innings, then the Jacks got the bats going, scored 2 runs in the 4th, 5 in the 6th, and a HR in the 7th , the final score being 8-0 Jacks. St Thomas is win less so far this season, but Omaha, the next series, will be a bigger challenge, currently at 4-1 in the Summit. We are the defending champs so it was good to see the team start off on the right foot by getting the sweep on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
          Jacks start the Conference season with the 3-0 sweep of St Thomas, after the unfortunate postponing of the 3 game series with W, Illinois. I watched the last game of the series and it was very enjoyable thanks to St Thomas for providing it at no cost on their web site, they have a very nice field, artificial turf installed . Started out scoreless for the first 4 innings, then the Jacks got the bats going, scored 2 runs in the 4th, 5 in the 6th, and a HR in the 7th , the final score being 8-0 Jacks. St Thomas is win less so far this season, but Omaha, the next series, will be a bigger challenge, currently at 4-1 in the Summit. We are the defending champs so it was good to see the team start off on the right foot by getting the sweep on the road.
          I see the game is moved to Sioux Falls. can someone tell us where Bowden field is? supposed to be in the 60s on friday and saturday. could be a nice spring weekend to see some softball

AND for those familiar with this field, i am curious what type of condition is it in at the moment. i have heard that some of the ball fields in the SF area will still be unplayable for another week or more

beyond all that, three games against UNO should give us a much more solid idea of where we are at as a team. at the moment we are SIGNIFICANTLY down statistically speaking in the areas of hitting, pitching, and fielding compared to the last 2 years
          and we have already lost more games than we lost all of last year

BUT we have also played 7 games against teams ranked in the top 25. so maybe that accounts for a big chunk of the statistical difference? at the moment i would not offer what i feel is a useful opinion about if that is true or not

Kamryn Meyer, UNO's #1 pitcher is OUTSTANDING and has given us trouble even on our best days. so this will be a challenge, but hopefully we continue to improve in every area. anyway should be nice weather and i think i will try to get out and see some ball. anyone else gonna go?

Comment

I see the game is moved to Sioux Falls. can someone tell us where Bowden field is? supposed to be in the 60s on friday and saturday. could be a nice spring weekend to see some softball

AND for those familiar with this field, i am curious what type of condition is it in at the moment. i have heard that some of the ball fields in the SF area will still be unplayable for another week or more

beyond all that, three games against UNO should give us a much more solid idea of where we are at as a team. at the moment we are SIGNIFICANTLY down statistically speaking in the areas of hitting, pitching, and fielding compared to the last 2 years

BUT we have also played 7 games against teams ranked in the top 25. so maybe that accounts for a big chunk of the statistical difference? at the moment i would not offer what i feel is a useful opinion about if that is true or not

Kamryn Meyer, UNO's #1 pitcher is OUTSTANDING and has given us trouble even on our best days. so this will be a challenge, but hopefully we continue to improve in every area. anyway should be nice weather and i think i will try to get out and see some ball. anyone else gonna go?
            Bowden Field is Augie's fairly newly-renovated stadium, and it has an artificial turf playing surface.

Been a few days since I've driven by the area, but they're still constructing the hockey arena nearby, so I'd recommend arriving early to scope out parking or plan on parking a few blocks away and walking.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Bowden Field is Augie's fairly newly-renovated stadium, and it has an artificial turf playing surface.

Been a few days since I've driven by the area, but they're still constructing the hockey arena nearby, so I'd recommend arriving early to scope out parking or plan on parking a few blocks away and walking.
              i wondered if it was their field. i am pretty sure i saw they were playing games there this past weekend

i am curious, and hopefully i am not stupidly forgetting someone obvious, but who is Bowden. DEFINITELY NOT an augie fan so surely i wouldnt know all of their prominent names but as a life long jackrabbit i have certainly seen my share of augie athletes and connected others

i kind of would have thought their field would have been named after HOF coach sandy jerstad. or maybe bowden is a donor, obviously that is pretty common as well

Comment

I'm going to blame the dropoff in performance on the fact that last time I looked the diamond was under two feet of snow! Hard on the mojo when you don't get to even practice on your normal field.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post

I'm going to blame the dropoff in performance on the fact that last time I looked the diamond was under two feet of snow! Hard on the mojo when you don't get to even practice on your normal field.
                  I am willing to accept any hypothesis that says we still have a reasonable shot to win a regional. not having a career < 2.0 ERA pitcher certainly does not do anything to help either

Comment

stuck at the office
                    hoping i might make it to the second game

am listening and watching what i can

TK 16 Ks thru 7 innings still tied at 0 with the jacks coming up in the bottom of 7

jacks have hit many hard balls against Meyer but have only 3 hits to show for it, but they have hit the ball MUCH MUCH harder against Meyer than UNO has off of TK. mavs have put less than a handful of balls into play even and from what i have seen and / or heard 1 or 2 hit anything close to hard

Comment

BTW Jake
                      Senior infielder Chiara Bassi from Italy has I Feel Like a Woman, from one of your leading ladies, as her walkup music. thought you needed to know in case you didnt)

Comment

0-0 after 7

Comment

TK faces the 2-4 batters in top of 8. they go down K, K, very weak dribbler to 3b

the jacks have top of order coming to the plate

Jarecki already has one ball hit to the warning track today and does have one career HR off of Meyer
                          Osmundson has hit the ball all 3 times and 2 of them very hard today
                          Roz who has less than 10 K on the year has struck out 3 times today. i bet that is first time all year. safe to say Roz is due

Jarecki gets on to start the inning

Comment

and here is a perfect scenario where i TOTALLY TOTALLY disagree with Coach McSweeney love of the bunt (

we have Mia on to start the inning and we have Emma bunt, again Emma has HIT the ball hard ALL DAY. pop up to catcher.
                            i honestly cannot think OF ONE TIME i have seen the runner moved to second this year when they scored in a way that they would not have scored anyway. i have no doubt it has happened once or twice but it is NOT a lot. and i also think it is FAR different to have one of the bottom of order hitters bunting as opposed one of you UNQUESTIONED best hitters giving away outs

the Carillo girls rescue the questionable strategy

Roz flies to literally the top of the wall in left. Jarecki tags and moves to second
                            Joc gets her second hit of the day and drives in the winning run

jacks win. game 2 should start in about 30 minutes
                            Last edited by LetsGoRabbits; 04-07-2023, 03:32 PM.

Comment

LOTS of connections with these two teams

UNO Freshman starting LF Ava Rongisch is sister of L Rongisch who graduated from Jacks WBB last year. also was aau teammates with several Jacks

Abby Flanagan JR pitcher from Des Moines who was committed to the jacks. apparently changed her mind with the coaching change?? now at UNO gotta say i am a bit surprised she has pitched very little. of course she was not gonna be the #1 with Meyer around but she was dominant in Juco. i would have guessed she would be the clear #2 for them

they have multiple other players who were high school, college, or aau teammates with our girls

Comment

well not getting out of office yet. could leave soon but now i might just watch from here

Yoder is not in lineup for either game today???
                                UNO with 2 hits and a walk in the top of first, leads 2-0

Comment

Working...
                                X