New Era (or whatever you wanna call it with a new coach) OPENING DAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Era (or whatever you wanna call it with a new coach) OPENING DAY

Jacks return SS, 2b, 3b, CF, RF, both catchers and two stud pitchers from last years 2x defending regular season and tournament champs

Who will take the at bats at 1b, LF, and DH?

not impossible to imagine L Culver moving to the OF but they also have other options

could see C Masterson or one of the two catchers playing at least some 1b

feel like we could often see the other catcher getting ABs at DH since both of them were top of the league in many hitting categories

based on last year, you would think M Jarecki has the first crack to start at one of the open spots. seems most likely to play 1b or 2b if they decide to move Culver, but Jarecki could also play LF or get DH ABs

some of the new Jacks or returners who got much more limited ABs last year will have to take on big roles to replace departed 1b (transfer), LF, and DH (graduates)

The Jacks open today at 12:30 in Houston. they play the Huskers, who are the defending Big 10 champs

Jacks preseason RPI is 48
    Huskers are 30
    the jacks play Houston at 3pm today their RPI is 79

the Jacks open with 10 games in the state of Texas between today and the 19. they play Texas State on their home field in San Marcos (between san antonio and austin) 3 games on the 17, 18, and 19 of this month. Texas St is RPI of 50

not going to go over the entire schedule, but later in pre conference schedule they play

Central Arkansas RPI 68
    Loyola Marymount RPI 55

Highlights in early March (4th and 5th) they have two games vs Oklahoma State ranked preseason top 5 with RPI of 4, and a national semifinalist from last year

March 17 and 19 they play the gophers in Wichita. gophers RPI 41

April 11 they take a one game break from the conference schedule to play ISU in Ames. Cyclones current RPI is 58

highest summit league preseason RPI Omaha is in the 90s and NDSU in the 130s

should be interesting and fun!!

not claiming i can tell you exactly what will be required, but it does look like the Husker game has a viewing option today and the Houston game at 3pm is on espn+

GO RABBITS!!!!!!

Watching a little of the game vs. Nebraska over lunch. Announcer has a great voice…..but has no clue about softball. Jacks up 1-0 after one inning.

Comment

Gojacks.com has streaming link to the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Route 12 Jack View Post
        Watching a little of the game vs. Nebraska over lunch. Announcer has a great voice…..but has no clue about softball. Jacks up 1-0 after one inning.
        Holy crap. Saying he doesn't know anything is an understatement. Reminds me of Ron Burgandy. You pooped in the refrigerator? I'm not even mad.

He's actually quite entertaining. "67 degrees is the perfect temperature in this room to be freezing without your coat on and boiling with it on".

Comment

Originally posted by Route 12 Jack View Post
          hahhahaha

yes, i think this might have been the first game he ever watched. dont know why but he did not announce the final two innings. strictly let you watch the game with no commentary at all

and aaahh OH YEAH

JACKS WIN 1-0
          complete game from TK

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Holy crap. Saying he doesn't know anything is an understatement. Reminds me of Ron Burgandy. You pooped in the refrigerator? I'm not even mad.

He's actually quite entertaining. "67 degrees is the perfect temperature in this room to be freezing without your coat on and boiling with it on".
            yea he was pretty funny, but he gave you absolutely ZERO useful information about the game)))

and did you happen to catch the name?? something like Vincent Von Sinkterfuus. i am sure i am not saying it or spelling it right but i am spelling phonetically what i think i heard))))

every time he came back from a break between innings- "Hello I am your host Vincent Von Sinkterfuus"

Comment

I will be interested to see the box score!! i was in a meeting and unable to catch the beginning and as you might have heard the commentator was totally unhelpful as to what happened in the game))

but from what I could tell:

the Jacks moved Lindsay Culver to LF (from her usual 2b position from last year)
              Mia Jarecki played 2b
              Both of our tandem stud catchers from last year also started "apparently??"
              Yoder caught and Brooke Dumont played 1b
              from what I could tell Senior Chiara Bassi played DH

so none of the newcomers started. Bassi has been on the team for several years, but played sparingly

Jarecki and Dumont are sophomores from Papillion La Vista. stellar high school and aau careers and teammates of last year ncaa freshman of the year from national champ OU, Jordy Bahl

I did see Freshman Emma Christensen pinch ran
              and Junior Tori Tollefson came in as a defensive sub in the top of the 7th

if anyone else played i did not see or hear about it

Comment

Roz Carillo batting second, hit a homerun in the bottom of the first. So basically our two best players carried the load in this one. Roz supplied the offense and TK shut down the huskers offense

also in the top of the 6th (i think) Jocelyn Carillo CF made an outstanding catch at the wall. I dont think it was gonna go over but at the least it was an extra base hit and she made a great play to take it away. dont know if there was anything before i was watching but that was the most significant defensive play I saw. the huskers RF made multiple nice plays to rob the jacks of hits

GREAT WIN against a good team and regional rival. FWIW we have beaten the huskers 3 of the last 4

also from the part of the game i saw, despite having only 4 hits, the jacks had a lot of hard contact

Comment

Game 2
                  vs U of Houston Lady Cougars
                  starting in 5 minutes on ESPN+

Comment

Jacks up 2-0 heading to bottom of 2nd

Comment

Must be a different announcer for game 2. This one talked to coaches beforehand and seems to know what he is talking about. Good quality camera work with replays.

Comment

going to the 8th tied at 3
                        YES YES totally different announcer

UH getting plenty of help from the umps. totally different strike zone for Grace than the UH pitcher

Comment

Looked like Glanzer was out of gas at the end. It did appear that she threw a bunch of pitches throughout the game that were right at the knees that were called balls.

Comment

Jacks lose 4-5 in 9 innings

early in the season obviously, but not a particularly good loss

Jacks were ahead 3-0 after 2 and a third. UH switches pitchers

if i understood correctly the new pitcher is the preseason POY in their conference and she did pitch well. switched speeds and moved the ball up and down, but she also got a lot of called strikes on the outside edge of the plate on her right side (pitching hand side) and plenty off the plate. Grace definitely did not get that same corner.

beyond that the jacks had plenty of hard hit balls that were not able to find the grass in fair territory, but they still needed to find a way to get one more run in the final 4 and 2/3 and that probably wins them the game

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              Looked like Glanzer was out of gas at the end. It did appear that she threw a bunch of pitches throughout the game that were right at the knees that were called balls.
                              that started with the first batter of the game. she threw two of those to her and I definitely agree with you. but that was called that way the whole game. i cannot say if it was the same for the UH pitchers or not as they really did not work at the bottom of the zone much

but they did get called strikes on the edge and outside the edge on right handed batters box side of the plate that Grace did not get

Comment

Working...
                              X