2012 recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 recruits

One more thought, just being in a power conference doesn't make you a power team. Northwestern is a Charter member of the Big 10 and has never been to the NCAA Tournament - oh and by the way was a heck of a lot better then Nebraska last year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/standings

Big Ten Standings

TEAM CONF OVERALL
    Ohio State 13-5 31-8
    Michigan State 13-5 29-8
    Michigan 13-5 24-10
    Wisconsin 12-6 26-10
    Indiana 11-7 27-9
    Purdue 10-8 22-13
    Northwestern 8-10 19-14
    Iowa 8-10 18-17
    Minnesota 6-12 23-15
    Illinois 6-12 17-15
    Nebraska 4-14 12-18
    Penn State 4-14 12-20
    Last edited by LakeJack; 04-19-2012, 08:50 AM.

Comment

We're all aware that Nebraska beat us last year in basketball, right? Yes?
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        Yup on our 4th game in 6 days all on the road (we won 3 out of 4) with Dykstra and Heemstra out with injuries. We are also all aware that we went to the dance this year and the last time Nebraska went Bill Clinton was President, Scott Nagy was in his third season with the Jackrabbits winning his 3rd straight NCC Title, and Matt Donlan the recruit we are both after was about 4 years old .
        Last edited by LakeJack; 04-19-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          Yup on our 4th game in 6 days all on the road (we won 3 out of 4). We are also all aware that we went to the dance this year and the last time Nebraska went Bill Clinton was President, Scott Nagy was in his third season with the Jackrabbits winning his 3rd straight NCC Title, and Matt Donlan the recruit we are both after was about 4 years old .
          Nebraska can say to a recruit, you will play Texas twice, Kansas twice, etc. The atmosphere and the idea of playing those programs is worth something.

I don't think you can say our basketball program is better than Nebraska's. We have made the NCAA tourney once and have zero wins, the same number of wins Nebraska has. You also can't say that Nebraska's program is better than ours. I think you could argue that Utah has a better program (historically) than both us and Nebraska. Back in the 90's Rick Majerus had some very very good teams at Utah. If I recall correctly, they were either in a final four or within a game.

I do think we can compete with recruits with both schools. They both have strengths and weaknesses, SDSU also has strengths and weaknesses. At the end of the day, it comes down to what that potential recruit is looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            I do think we can compete with recruits with both schools. They both have strengths and weaknesses, SDSU also has strengths and weaknesses. At the end of the day, it comes down to what that potential recruit is looking for.
            Exactly. SDSU and Nebraska both have something to offer that the other one can't, and the value is set by the individual player's perspective. There is not a "one size fits all" choice when it comes to choosing a university whether it's in athletics or academics.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              Nebraska can say to a recruit, you will play Texas twice, Kansas twice, etc. The atmosphere and the idea of playing those programs is worth something.

I don't think you can say our basketball program is better than Nebraska's. We have made the NCAA tourney once and have zero wins, the same number of wins Nebraska has. You also can't say that Nebraska's program is better than ours. I think you could argue that Utah has a better program (historically) than both us and Nebraska. Back in the 90's Rick Majerus had some very very good teams at Utah. If I recall correctly, they were either in a final four or within a game.

They are in the Big 10 not the Big 12 anymore, but get your point.

Comment

One of the biggest advantages that Big Ten and Pac !2 schools have over us is the exposure they have because of national TV networks that broadcast almost all of their games throughout the country. This is especially true of recruits outside of our geographic area (like California) because that allows family members to see their son's games on television,rather than relying on iffy internet feeds.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                  So did USD, but does that make USD better then us? not a chance. one game after a long road trip with out one of our best players. My guess if we got to take on neb or the goofers after then had injuries, the scores very well could easily be in our favor.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    They are in the Big 10 not the Big 12 anymore, but get your point.
                    Oops. So, Ohio State, Michigan State, etc.

Comment

Yup I sure do. It is really sad that you think that Nebraska is better then SDSU by default. Ask anyone who has the better dairy program, as just one example. How about Women's basketball? Tell me, when was the last time that Nebraska's Men's Basketball team made the NCAA Tournament? Here is a hint, they have not been to the Tournament this century (Answer is 1998 and before that 1994). They have only been to the NCAA's 6 times in their history and they have never won a game (They have lost to Western Kentucky, Xavier, UConn, New Mexico State, Penn, and Arkansas) in the NCAA's. We are not talking about football.
                      And I'm not just talking about RPI and how they've done on the court the past few years. You do realize what they're building down there right now right?

I follow the basketball team a ton and love the sport, but if Nebraska offered me and my other choice was SDSU I'd be an idiot not to go to Nebraska and play for Miles. There is no comparison.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                        And I'm not just talking about RPI and how they've done on the court the past few years. You do realize what they're building down there right now right?

I follow the basketball team a ton and love the sport, but if Nebraska offered me and my other choice was SDSU I'd be an idiot not to go to Nebraska and play for Miles. There is no comparison.
                        I can't possibly disagree with your assertion more then I already do, so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

P.S. it hasn't been the last few years that Nebraska has been irrelevant in college hoops. They haven't been good in Men's hoops since they fired Danny Nee. They have had all the advantages that a power conference team can have - lots of dollars, facilities, fan support, etc. and still haven't been able to get the job done. They can build new building and throw even more money at their program and I still don't think they will get in the top half of the Big 10. Lincoln is where college basketball coaching careers go to die IMO. Big Red has been, is, and always will be a football school. It just is.
                        Last edited by LakeJack; 04-19-2012, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post

So as a SDSU fan, you're honestly saying that you would consider anyone that was offered by Nebraska in men's basketball and decided to go with the offer from SDSU is an idiot because of a new building and an unproven and overrated(IMO) new coach??

It's my sincere hope is that our coaches are out there trying to out-recruit every program in the nation, especially bottom of the barrel BCS conference teams like Nebraska. They should go coach in the NSIC if they're not.

Go Jacks!!
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                            So as a SDSU fan, you're honestly saying that you would consider anyone that was offered by Nebraska in men's basketball and decided to go with the offer from SDSU is an idiot because of a new building and an unproven and overrated(IMO) new coach??

It's my sincere hope is that our coaches are out there trying to out-recruit every program in the nation, especially bottom of the barrel BCS conference teams like Nebraska. They should go coach in the NSIC if they're not.

Go Jacks!!
                            I wonder if SDSUAlum08 thinks Jordan Dykstra is an idiot for choosing SDSU over Iowa State?

Comment

I can't possibly disagree with your assertion more then I already do, so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.P.S. it hasn't been the last few years that Nebraska has been irrelevant in college hoops. They haven't been good in Men's hoops since they fired Danny Nee. They have had all the advantages that a power conference team can have - lots of dollars, facilities, fan support, etc. and still haven't been able to get the job done. They can build new building and throw even more money at their program and I still don't think they will get in the top half of the Big 10. Lincoln is where college basketball coaching careers go to die IMO. Big Red has been, is, and always will be a football school. It just is.
                              I completely disagree too. It is what it is.

I just think with just joining the Big Ten, adding Tim Miles as your coach, and builiding the brand new basketball arena you're going to have a ton of success down there. That's my opinion. Obviously you don't agree and apparently you have a problem with it.

(http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=204989029)

(http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/p...4102&id=720856)
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I wonder if SDSUAlum08 thinks Jordan Dykstra is an idiot for choosing SDSU over Iowa State?
                                Well ... he did choose Iowa State. Only after the coach that he committed to got fired/left (I forget) did he change.

I don't think anyone is an idiot for choosing SDSU over Nebraska. But I do think if we are going after the same recruits as NEB (which I think we should be) we will lose more recruits than we sign, especially with Miles there.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X