Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 recruits

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    Well ... he did choose Iowa State. Only after the coach that he committed to got fired/left (I forget) did he change.I don't think anyone is an idiot for choosing SDSU over Nebraska. But I do think if we are going after the same recruits as NEB (which I think we should be) we will lose more recruits than we sign, especially with Miles there.
    OU coach Greg Kampe stated it best. "If we get every kid we recruit, we aren't recruiting the right kids." And personally I would choose SDSU over UNL. Best chance to go to the tournament? SDSU. Best chance to compete on a nightly basis and win more games? SDSU. Most likely to be a star and not just another guy? SDSU. Not to mention that at UNL you will always be 2nd fiddle at UNL and almost be behind football. Because lets be honest, nobody cares about basketball at UNL, just football.
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I know we love our Jackrabbits and want them to compete on a national scale, but the truth is we can't compete with power conference teams on a day in day out basis.

Yep, we can sneak up on a Washington and beat them by 20+, but probably only if we hit our first 7 3 pt'ers of the game and have their starting center out for that game.
      Yep, we can give Baylor a scare when when hit 3 three's in a row to start the game and get off to a 12 point lead, of course they outscored us by 20 the rest of the way.

The truth is, we lost to Georgia, Minnesota and Nebraska all by double digits and they all finished at or near the bottom of their conference. It doesn't make me a Jackrabbit hater or a Nebraska apologist, I prefer to think it makes me a realist. To take an honest look at it, we quite possibly had our best team ever and Nebraska wasn't far from one of their worst ever and they still beat us by double digits....thats a fact.

If you are a recruit, do you want to play for Nebraska against Ohio State on national television, or for SDSU against IUPUI on GoJacks? Do you want to play in Frost or state of the art facilities in Lincoln? Nebraska at this point will be able to offer more playing time than we will with the amount of scholarship players they are down to. I think Miles is on the right track, he's looking for talent out of high school.....Doc Sadler kept trying the quick band aid with JUCO players and it just never worked out. Miles process will be slow and they will be god awful this year, but I think 4 years from now they will be on the right track.

Comment

Well ... he did choose Iowa State. Only after the coach that he committed to got fired/left (I forget) did he change.

I don't think anyone is an idiot for choosing SDSU over Nebraska. But I do think if we are going after the same recruits as NEB (which I think we should be) we will lose more recruits than we sign, especially with Miles there.
        Another way of looking at this is do you think that Miles will be successful in the Big 10 going after the same guy that SDSU, IUPUI, and Stetson -his other official visits so far - are going after?

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
          I know we love our Jackrabbits and want them to compete on a national scale, but the truth is we can't compete with power conference teams on a day in day out basis.

Yep, we can sneak up on a Washington and beat them by 20+, but probably only if we hit our first 7 3 pt'ers of the game and have their starting center out for that game.
          Yep, we can give Baylor a scare when when hit 3 three's in a row to start the game and get off to a 12 point lead, of course they outscored us by 20 the rest of the way.

The truth is, we lost to Georgia, Minnesota and Nebraska all by double digits and they all finished at or near the bottom of their conference. It doesn't make me a Jackrabbit hater or a Nebraska apologist, I prefer to think it makes me a realist. To take an honest look at it, we quite possibly had our best team ever and Nebraska wasn't far from one of their worst ever and they still beat us by double digits....thats a fact.

If you are a recruit, do you want to play for Nebraska against Ohio State on national television, or for SDSU against IUPUI on GoJacks? Do you want to play in Frost or state of the art facilities in Lincoln? Nebraska at this point will be able to offer more playing time than we will with the amount of scholarship players they are down to. I think Miles is on the right track, he's looking for talent out of high school.....Doc Sadler kept trying the quick band aid with JUCO players and it just never worked out. Miles process will be slow and they will be god awful this year, but I think 4 years from now they will be on the right track.
          THANK YOU!

Truthfully, there are always circumstances that would make a player choose SDSU over Nebraska, but there aren't very many.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
            Another way of looking at this is do you think that Miles will be successful in the Big 10 going after the same guy that SDSU, IUPUI, and Stetson -his other official visits so far - are going after?
            Who says Nebraska offered him a scholarship?
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              Who says Nebraska offered him a scholarship?
              Who says that SDSU has offered him a scholarship?

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                OU coach Greg Kampe stated it best. "If we get every kid we recruit, we aren't recruiting the right kids." And personally I would choose SDSU over UNL. Best chance to go to the tournament? SDSU. Best chance to compete on a nightly basis and win more games? SDSU. Most likely to be a star and not just another guy? SDSU. Not to mention that at UNL you will always be 2nd fiddle at UNL and almost be behind football. Because lets be honest, nobody cares about basketball at UNL, just football.
                THANK YOU!

For pointing out a number of circumstances that would make a player choose SDSU over Nebraska

Comment

Put me in this camp.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Who says that SDSU has offered him a scholarship?
                    Really? I'm not really in to make this personal with all the posts. We disagree. Grow up. I'm out.

Comment

Put me in this camp.
                      What recruit wants to play for a school who's alumni (not all) don't even think SDSU is good enough for you?I wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                        What recruit wants to play for a school who's alumni (not all) don't even think SDSU is good enough for you?I wouldn't.
                        Edit: I don't care anymore.

Comment

Miles got into the recruiting game at Nebraska pretty late to be real selective about the level of recruits this year. He very well may have been recruiting this player when he still was at CSU. I would think that in the future we won't be competing for the same recruits very often,unless they are high level South Dakota players,like the kid from Pierre.

Comment

So why would any kid choose gonzaga or creighton when many were probably looked at and offered from power confrences. A mid major is only a small time program if you make it that way. I don't feel or think we are second class to anybody when it comes to our programs. Its going to be moot anyway once confrence affiliation means nothing. The summit will probably be eaten by the big east while horizon goes big 10 ohio valley goes big twelve the wac and wcc and 12 pac merge. Frankly I think sdsu is selling it self short if we are only going after guys who are looking at nebraska. If our best recruits biggest option is nebraska then our coaches aren't doing their job.

Perception is what you make of it. Sdsu is at the launching point of great things. Unfortunately I don't think everyone sees that. Maybe in the big 10 neb might get better but I just don't see it. Where I see sdsu constantly being ranked top 100 rpi while neb will be lucky to sniff it every few years.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Do not understand the defeatism inherent in this and bet the fandom/players/coaches at VCU or Gonzaga don't agree with this. ...

Comment

SDSU is better than Kentucky. There. I said it. If only Anthony Davis would have recognized the fact that Kentucky hadn't won a National Championship since the 90s (DID YOU KNOW THAT WAS WHEN BILL CLINTON WAS PRESIDENT?!?!) he might have came to SDSU.

If you don't agree with what I said then you hate SDSU. If we as fans and alums don't believe that we can beat Kentucky then why would any recruit EVER come to our university!?

Comment

Working...
                                X