Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal Poly - GDT

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    What's especially infuriating to me is the whole one-step-forward-and-two-steps-back nature of this team.

They beat Wyoming. Great win, great start to the season. They play Purdue hard and close. Fantastic. They go into a shell for the next few games, dropping four straight.

Then they win their first conference road game in two years at Macomb. Nice. About damn time. They follow it up by whipping SW Minnesota. Whoop-te-doo. Then they simply don't show up in Reno, and from all accounts play a very lackluster game when they finally return home and get beat on their home court to a very, very average Cal Poly team (being charitable to CP).

It seems like the team will actually achieve something, and then get satisfied and relax for the next few games. The problem is that they're nowhere near good enough to do that and succeed. It's like they have a little taste of success, then think "OK, we're there now" and pull back on the throttle, or something. You just can't do that. That's what I find so maddening. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
    I continue to hear how great the win over Wyoming was? Last time I looked Wyoming had three wins. Peru State, Peperdine and U. N. Colorado. Not necessarily three BB schools that pop up while talking BB powers. It would appear we put to much significance on the Wyoming win.

Last night was a game this team absolutely had to win and we did not. The last 7+ minutes this team did not score from the floor.

Time to step up gentlemen.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      I, first would like to see some excitement from the guys coming out of the player introductions. I understand everyone has their own way of getting fired up for a basketball game, but during pre-game introductions I ask myself sometimes am I really at a Div I basketball game.

The crowd wants to get excited but they are waiting for the players to show some excitement first. Maybe this needs to be reversed.
      I agree. Show some emotion at intro's. It's almost like they are afraid to show excitement and than lose? Well, guess what? Were losing anyway. NOTHING creates excitement like winning. You look back at the Megan Vogel or Brenda Davis fist pumps after knocking down a three. These gentlemen knock down a three and simply jog down to the other end of the court. Better stop!

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        A team of 10 Griffan Callahan clones would beat this team 9 times out of 10, and he isn't the most talented player on the team. He seems like the only player who goes hard after EVERY rebound, defends tough EVERY time down the court, and isn't afraid to get a little physical and dare bigger/stronger/faster players to beat him.

IMHO, this team is the most physically talented SDSU has ever had. The just aren't playing hard enough, and they aren't mentally tough.
        IMO not even close....Ling, Walker, Winz, Mac.....would have eaten them for an appetizer.
        Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
        Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
          I agree. Show some emotion at intro's. It's almost like they are afraid to show excitement and than lose? Well, guess what? Were losing anyway. NOTHING creates excitement like winning. You look back at the Megan Vogel or Brenda Davis fist pumps after knocking down a three. These gentlemen knock down a three and simply jog down to the other end of the court. Better stop!
          I get it that many people want to see some emotion from the players. But the fact of the matter is you don't get style points in basketball, you don't get points for pumping your fist, and you don't get points for celebrations. However, I do know that emotions and excitement plays a role in sports. I think if our guys were winning and not pumping fists nobody would be saying anything. Because we are not winning it becomes an issue. I think our problems are deeper than pumping a fist after a score or good play.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
            I think our problems are deeper than pumping a fist after a score or good play.
            BINGO! I think the problems on this team lie (sp?) much deeper than anybody knows.
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
              IMO not even close....Ling, Walker, Winz, Mac.....would have eaten them for an appetizer.
              I was talking about pure physical ability. Maybe several teams from the past could eat these guys up on the court, but when have we ever had players with this much height, speed, strength, and jumping ability at the same time?
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                BINGO! I think the problems on this team lie (sp?) much deeper than anybody knows.
                OOOO a mystery! YES
                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                  OOOO a mystery! YES
                  ....but, nobody's ever accused me of thinking
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I think Nagy should go back to starting Tivis, as I felt it was successful when it was tried after a rough start last year. Tivis will help set the tone from the start and remind everyone on the team that this is how you are suppose to play basketball and force everyone else to match his intensity.
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                      You know what? I don't care.

I'm tired of the soap opera. I'm tired of the drama. I don't care which player is upset with which other player or coach, has girlfriend problems, has a nagging injury, whatever. I don't care.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who's starting to pull the drama queen act on this team should be excused from further requirements to participate in the men's basketball program. The ones that instead choose to come together as a team, fight through this and come out the other side better basketball players and better men will have my admiration and support.

Now, let's go stomp on Central Michigan!
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        If anyone watched the video of the postgame conference the demeanor of Scott Nagy said it all. He would not look up or make any kind of eye contact and was as demoralized as I have ever seen. I actually thought he was going to say I'm done and walk out. I know he is not a quitter and will somehow get this turned around as he aluded too, but clearly this group of players is different than any he has coached and is causing him much angst. He told the players he can't ever remember a game where they were out rebounded by 10 to an opponent at Frost and that is about effort and desire.
                        So, if several viewers noticed the same thing in Coach's body language do you think the players are seeing anything different?

The old saying goes - your team is a reflection of the Coach. To his own admission Coach needs to be more positive and supportive.

Houston, we have a problem! We need wins and it needs to start Saturday.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          I'm not going to blame Coach Nagy for the team's lack of effort. That's on them. If anybody on that bench defines toughness, it's Coach Nagy. And you can tell it's killing him to watch so many of these guys slouch through games with no fire.
                          JJ I have to respectfully disagree with you a bit. It is Coach Nagy's job to put the best team on the floor every night. If someone isn't putting forth a good effort and he continues to allow that then that is on him.

In the situations I have been in it only takes one guy that doesn't want to run the plays, or just does what he wants to completely take the life out of a team. At that point the coach has to make a decision whether he is willing to put up with it and chance losing everyone or take that one person out of the situation and make things go. I have no idea or inside information whether that is the case or not just what I have seen in my past.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

You can't coach people who dont want to listen. Nagy has tried and is at wits end. Some care for their own statistics than the teams.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                              JJ I have to respectfully disagree with you a bit. It is Coach Nagy's job to put the best team on the floor every night. If someone isn't putting forth a good effort and he continues to allow that then that is on him.

In the situations I have been in it only takes one guy that doesn't want to run the plays, or just does what he wants to completely take the life out of a team. At that point the coach has to make a decision whether he is willing to put up with it and chance losing everyone or take that one person out of the situation and make things go. I have no idea or inside information whether that is the case or not just what I have seen in my past.
                              I definitely agree with the second part.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Maybe others felt this way, but when the season started, I thought we were excitied for this team. the chance to finally get better and win those games we have been on the loosing end of for the last few years. We thought the team would be as excited and ready to prove it also. Now I feel like the team just knows its identity as a losing team. They lost heart i think. Not saying they gave up, well, kind of. What i am trying to say is, after so many years of getting knocked down, we were expecting them to finally prove what we have been waiting for. There are moments on Offense that give us hope, untill the end of the game. The way I see it is, we are giving up and lack of effort for the fact we are getting out rebounded. I hope they figure it out. WE have 2 great recruits coming in next year. I would hate to see Nagy gone and the chance to lose those recruits. It just seems like they are not having fun, they are not intense or energiezed at all. Maybe confrence play will change that around but Im not couting on it right now. How do we play purdont so close, yet loose at home to very beatable CP team? I just dont get it. I thought the purdue game was the turning point for this club, and maybe it was untill the second half of the ECU game. We were up huge in the first yet still found a way to lose it. Maybe that 1 half really took the wind out of the proverbial sails of this team.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X