Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU Big Win

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
    It may wake some of these conferences up and motivate them to make an investment in SDSU/NDSU. I think the closer we get to our 5 year reclassification the hotter the commodity we may become. It's first come first serve.
    It's one win, considered by many to be a fluke.  Not minimizing the win but they have to put more than one together against High Majors to shake up conferences.  Come on be realistic here, the Badgers shot 22%.  Even Coach Miles knows that it takes a certain amount of luck to beat a team the quality of the Badgers in the Kohl Center where Bo Ryan has only lost 4 times in his career.  NDSU caught UW at a great time, when they are spinning their heels with suspensions and had a player leave the team.  They played last saturday with 7 scholarship athletes.  Not exactly what I would consider a squad that will continue to contend for the Big 10 title.  Expect the UW squad to suffer more defeats down the road.  NDSU had a great game and deserves the attention.  In a few weeks it will die down.

Be realistic and look at NDSU's schedule.  UW was the highlight of the season for them and their national championship game.  They had to be loose as they had nothing to lose.  It's that way in every underdog situtation and believe me I've seen plenty of games where a team with less talent knocks off a highly touted, highly rated team because they play a solid game and the other team stumbles.  If the two teams played 10 times with both teams at full strength it's safe to say that UW wins many of the games.  Yet last Saturday was NDSU's day and something they need to move past as they can't bask in the glory forever or else they will be the next team upset by a team they should have beaten.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker
      Thanks MilwaukeeJacksalum.  I just take offense to some people who refuse to give credit and say it was all dumb luck.  Either way its a good win for both programs in my opinion.
      Bisonbacker I believe it is you who is living in a world that is tainted. You won one game against a high major. Congrats, your team proved on one day that you were better that day. You are 11-9 this season. If you were 19-1 you could back your claims up. I don't hear Coach Miles echoing your remarks. He's smart enough to know that things go right your way some time. Maybe the Big 10 will dump Wisconsin and invite NDSU into the league next year. Don't hold your breath.

Comment

It is being blown out of proportion.

When NDSU called cold pizza and lobbied to get Miles on the show, they are going overboard.

When NDSU called Vitale and Bilas, and demanded to be named within the day of upsets, and have an article written up about them, they went overboard.

When NDSU called PTI, sportscenter, and all the other national gameday shows and demanded to be put in their highlights, they totally went overboard.

When NDSU backed away on every shot that Wisconsin took, and Wisconsin only made 20% of their fg's on open looks all day long because the Bison defense was so terrible it gave them open looks, they should have called the game a tie.

Bison has 1 message board devoted to NDSU basketball. One. UNC probably has over 100. There goes that argument.

It won't help recruiting one bit. Recruits won't look at the program, and see a win over Wisconsin and say, "hey, this is a program that could possibly do some good things, with a likeable coach that knows what he's doing". In fact it will hurt, because next to our Wisconsin 'win', they will see the fact that Wisconsin did in fact lose the game, and the Bison can't play any defense whatsoever. What else could have possibly attributed to Wisconsin shooting 20%.

My favorite comment was NDSU fans talking about the undefeated season they will have next year. How the NBA will come calling, and every Big 10 should go to Fargo, and how they will completely crumble next year because of the pressure. "It will happen, trust me". Yeah uhmm, no it won't. And you say NDSU fans are 'overexaggerating'.

And as far as the NDSU fans, what a bunch of jackass'. SO you beat Wisconsin. big f'n deal. You got your name spread all over the national scene in the same sentences as Duke, Florida, UCONN, etc... Big deal, you beat the 15th ranked team in the nation, at their house where they just don't lose (3 total losses at home by Bo Ryan). Quit acting like jackazzes and act like you've been there before. Oh wait...you haven't. And neither 99% of any other independant, provisional, D2 team making the transition to D1.

Big Deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev

Bisonbacker I believe it is you who is living in a world that is tainted.  You won one game against a high major.  Congrats, your team proved on one day that you were better that day.  You are 11-9 this season.  If you were 19-1 you could back your claims up.  I don't hear Coach Miles echoing your remarks.  He's smart enough to know that things go right your way some time.  Maybe the Big 10 will dump Wisconsin and invite NDSU into the league next year.  Don't hold your breath.
          Whatever, I'm done talking about this, I don't live in the past. NDSU should just thank Wisconsin for giving the game to them. Who is NDSU to think they should even be on the same court as Wisconsin or any other top 25 team? I am going to call NDSU tomorrow and lobby that they go back to DII and tell them to ask SDSU as well because you say it was totally dumb luck and I don't know anything. On a more serious note, you sir are an idiot and I know are not representative of most SDSU fans. Did the Bison have some luck yes. They also have alot of talent. As one other SDSU fan has said this will not be the last win by either NDSU or SDSU against a highly rated team. Will I come to expect they will win all of them? Absolutely not but unlike you I do believe in my team and do expect they will prove themselves in the years to come. As far as their record they have been in every game but one this year and many they could have and probably should have won. Either way I support my team and won't belittle a win by them as just dumb luck. Now I am done posting on this topic and will move on. You can do what you want but by looking at your posts I won't hold my breath as far as expecting anything different but the same old garbage. Jealousy is an ugly thing though.

Comment

Originally posted by ballz

Look, the only reason I said something is because there are 54 pages on bisonville that have been posted on this win.  That doesn't seem like a bit much?  For reference, thats more pages then were posted on the National championship game on a tarheels board I follow.  If you think thats how it should be, congratulations.
            ++++

I dont' think anybody said this wasn't an out of this world win, it does just seem like a little much. BTW, i admitted my jealousy.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev

Bisonbacker I believe it is you who is living in a world that is tainted. You won one game against a high major. Congrats, your team proved on one day that you were better that day. You are 11-9 this season. If you were 19-1 you could back your claims up. I don't hear Coach Miles echoing your remarks. He's smart enough to know that things go right your way some time. Maybe the Big 10 will dump Wisconsin and invite NDSU into the league next year. Don't hold your breath.
              There's nothing easier than attacking straw men, is there?

Bison fans are not acting as if their team is 19-1. If the Bison were 19-1, they would be ranked in the top 10. No one has suggested that the Bison are a possibility for Big Ten expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonico

When NDSU called cold pizza and lobbied to get Miles on the show, they are going overboard.

When NDSU called Vitale and Bilas, and demanded to be named within the day of upsets, and have an article written up about them, they went overboard.

When NDSU called PTI, sportscenter, and all the other national gameday shows and demanded to be put in their highlights, they totally went overboard.

When NDSU backed away on every shot that Wisconsin took, and Wisconsin only made 20% of their fg's on open looks all day long because the Bison defense was so terrible it gave them open looks, they should have called the game a tie.

Bison has 1 message board devoted to NDSU basketball. One. UNC probably has over 100. There goes that argument.

It won't help recruiting one bit. Recruits won't look at the program, and see a win over Wisconsin and say, "hey, this is a program that could possibly do some good things, with a likeable coach that knows what he's doing". In fact it will hurt, because next to our Wisconsin 'win', they will see the fact that Wisconsin did in fact lose the game, and the Bison can't play any defense whatsoever. What else could have possibly attributed to Wisconsin shooting 20%.

My favorite comment was NDSU fans talking about the undefeated season they will have next year. How the NBA will come calling, and every Big 10 should go to Fargo, and how they will completely crumble next year because of the pressure. "It will happen, trust me". Yeah uhmm, no it won't. And you say NDSU fans are 'overexaggerating'.

And as far as the NDSU fans, what a bunch of jackass'. SO you beat Wisconsin. big f'n deal. You got your name spread all over the national scene in the same sentences as Duke, Florida, UCONN, etc... Big deal, you beat the 15th ranked team in the nation, at their house where they just don't lose (3 total losses at home by Bo Ryan). Quit acting like jackazzes and act like you've been there before. Oh wait...you haven't. And neither 99% of any other independant, provisional, D2 team making the transition to D1.

Big Deal.

You're right, NDSU is more talented then Wisconsin. Sorry I said anything.

Comment

Originally posted by RodentiaX

There's nothing easier than attacking straw men, is there?

Bison fans are not acting as if their team is 19-1. If the Bison were 19-1, they would be ranked in the top 10. No one has suggested that the Bison are a possibility for Big Ten expansion.
                  Well . . . actually . . .

Big 10 Wonk argues (tongue firmly in cheek) that very thing.

I can't believe I'm contributing to the further existence of this thread. ???
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

Well . . . actually . . .

Big 10 Wonk argues (tongue firmly in cheek) that very thing.

I can't believe I'm contributing to the further existence of this thread.   ???
                    My final contribution to this thread. Congradulations to the NDSU and Bison fans, alums and anyone else I may have left out. Being I spent a few days here in the Fargo area, I can understand their joy and pride in this win. It was big. : : :

Between a special interview on ND PBS of President Champman and his appearence on the WDAY TV sports segment, I have developed a great deal of respect for President Champman. He gives the appearnance of a beign  and nice smiley grand uncle, but the truth of the matter he is very competent and smart. He knows what is going on at NDSU, and he is the guy that pushed for D1 along with our President Miller. If any one should be very proud and happy it should be President Chapman.

It was reported in the Fargo Forum, that AD Gene Taylor broke down in tears when the Wisconsin game ended. If  consider all the hate mail and mean spirited comments these two gentleman have received over the past 5 years or so, don't these two have a good reason to be overwhelmed emotionally?

How would it be different if SDSU got a win like this? We we would probably let our neighbors to the south point out to us that the opponent shot 22 per cent. Lets not be like them. :-X

I had some of this feeling last Wednesday when the SDSU men took care of Central Florida team, and the Olrando reporter mistook SDSU for a high school team. Soon it will be our turn to be prideful. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by ballz

You're right, NDSU is more talented then Wisconsin.  Sorry I said anything.  

Talent doesn't get you anywhere if you don't transfer it out onto the court in games. See Wisconsin.

Comment

More than anything this win was a watershed, the final nail in the coffin for those that advised against Division I and even resisted the move.  Now some of those universities are rushing in against their own best advice.  

The SUs have now defined DI success and others are starting to see the way no matter how ill advised they insisted it might be.  What do they know now?

1)  You can be competitive
                        2)  The sooner you start your transition the better
                        3)  The local and regional kids arent shut out
                        4)  DI isnt so scandalous as to discourage them from thinking about it
                        5)  DII may raise football scholarships to 44
                        6)  There is a lot of travel and it costs money
                        7)  You wont be winning any national championships but national exposure is good

What do they have going for them?

1)  The UBC

Whats the biggest unknown?

1)  The GWFC
                        www.bisonsports.net

www.gobison.com

Comment

It looks like the big game at Wisconsin has impacted attendance at NDSU. Tonight NDSU had a close one with U of Idaho, but hung on to win by 8 pts or something like that. What caught my ear was the attendance, remember this is Tuesday Night, 3531.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonico

And as far as the NDSU fans, what a bunch of jackass'.  SO you beat Wisconsin. big f'n deal.  You got your name spread all over the national scene in the same sentences as Duke, Florida, UCONN, etc...  Big deal, you beat the 15th ranked team in the nation, at their house where they just don't lose (3 total losses at home by Bo Ryan).  Quit acting like jackazzes and act like you've been there before.  Oh wait...you haven't.  And neither 99% of any other independant, provisional, D2 team making the transition to D1.

Big Deal.
                            I'm not trying to be a d*ck, but wow you sound jealous.  Do I think that NDSU would beat Wisc 9 out of 10 times?  Of course not.  In fact I know we would get beat probably 99 out of 100.  So we pulled one off and we are the media darling for the 3rd week in January. It's not going to last forever and your pissed b/c NDSU is being talked on every college basketball show.   What I don't get is how your slamming us for ESPN contacting our media department and wanting to set up interviews with the coach.  Here's a news flash for you, ESPN covers the stories that they want to, they cover stories that they think will have broad national appeal.  They don't cover stories just b/c someone at a university calls them up and demands that they mention them.  What a load of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonmike

I'm not trying to be a d*ck, but wow you sound jealous.  Do I think that NDSU would beat Wisc 9 out of 10 times?  Of course not.  In fact I know we would get beat probably 99 out of 100.  So we pulled one off and we are the media darling for the 3rd week in January. It's not going to last forever and your pissed b/c NDSU is being talked on every college basketball show.   What I don't get is how your slamming us for ESPN contacting our media department and wanting to set up interviews with the coach.  Here's a news flash for you, ESPN covers the stories that they want to, they cover stories that they think will have broad national appeal.  They don't cover stories just b/c someone at a university calls them up and demands that they mention them.  What a load of crap.
                              BisonMike,
                              Silk... is a bison fan. I think he was trying to be sarcastic, but i may be mistaken.
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979

BisonMike,
                                Silk... is a bison fan.  I think he was trying to be sarcastic, but i may be mistaken.  
                                jackrabbit1979 is very correct. Silk is indeed a NDSU Bison fan, but a good guy. It has to be sarcasm. Now I am turning into a Bison fan. I listened to the game last night. The young Bison are definitely playing good ball and are off cloud 9. The Jacks need to be ready on February 18th.

Comment

Working...
                                X