NDSU Big Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU Big Win

You have to remember that we never had the kind of success in Basketball that you did. That being said yes it was huge, apparently not only do the people around here think it was big, look nationally, its being talked about by alot of people so the folks in Fargo certainly have the right to be excited about it, lots of water cooler talk going on about Bison Basketball. ;D
    To answer your question about the recruiting only time will tell but one things for sure, it can't hurt NDSU, now SDSU on the other hand??? Who knows how much it will affect them but potential recruits will surely remember Tim Miles and this win when he talks to them

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
      Maybe it's just sour grapes on my part, but does anybody else think this is just a little much for the win the bison had. Check out their board, you would think they just won the NCAA's.

I was one of the first to congratulate them, i think, but if we would ever pull off an upset like this, i would hope it wouldn't turn into all of this hoopla. Tim Miles is on Cold Pizza tommorrow, PA and Dubay today, etc. etc. etc. It was the regular season right, it was just one win right?

Again, Congrats Bison. It was a great win. Am i happy for you, yes. Am i a little pissed it wasn't SDSU, yes. Will it effect the progression of our programs with recruiting, conference membership, who knows. Just my .02.

I've got to agree with you, and its not sour grapes from me. Just being realistic here, Wisconsin shot 23% or whatever for the game. If you tell me that any team will shot 23% against the Jacks, Duke, Illinois etc., I will tell you that the jacks will win. Not to be negative here, but statistically, the Bison had turnovers 30% of their possesions, this should have been a blow out, but the planets aligned correctly I guess. Congratulations bison. As for their board, I thought about posting but decided not to. Just wait over the summer, their will be talk about an undefeated season, how the big 10 schools should be coming to fargo, the missouri valley wants NDSU bad, there's several basketball recruits deciding between the NBA and NDSU etc. Just let them get rediculously high expectations for next year, and then watch their team crumble under the impossible pressure. It will happen, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker
        You have to remember that we never had the kind of success in Basketball that you did. That being said yes it was huge, apparently not only do the people around here think it was big, look nationally, its being talked about by alot of people so the folks in Fargo certainly have the right to be excited about it, lots of water cooler talk going on about Bison Basketball. ;D
        To answer your question about the recruiting only time will tell but one things for sure, it can't hurt NDSU, now SDSU on the other hand??? Who knows how much it will affect them but potential recruits will surely remember Tim Miles and this win when he talks to them

This won't effect recruiting. The idea is to show recruits the quality of your program. This was pretty much a case of unprecendented luck. I'm not trying to bring the win down, but seriously, 20% shooting? Thats rediculous. If this was going to be such a giant boon for recruiting why isn't bucknell, manhatten etc. getting these great recruits? They've had more upsets then this one. Again great win, but I'm not really sure what this proves to recruits. I guess if that single win over wisconsin is more important then academics, facilities, coaches, current players, scheduling, position needs, playing time available, etc. then good luck to them. I don't think so though.

Comment

If SDSU beat Kentucky or even Wisconsin for that matter, I would be the first guy in line to blow the win out of proportion. I have a feeling the number of "so who thinks going D1 is a mistake now?" posts on this site and the argus site would probably close the sites down because of the incredibly high traffic levels. I have no problem with NDSU using every millisecond of their 15 minutes of fame. That's some crazy free advertising. I would beat that dead horse until that dead horse's offspring were dead. So would everyone on this site.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I think if SDSU had won over Wisconsin, we would be no less jubliant than the NDSU fans are on Bisonville. I do remember when USD beat Wisconsin, I believe it was 1956 or 1957, very early in the season, and it probably did not get as much publicity as it did in Sunday's Fargo Forum and elsewhere in the media.  As the USD win did then and as NDSU's win now prove that NDSU has a very good basketball team that can definitely compete.
            I dont think anyone would disagree on that point.

The USD team  of the 1950's is one of the few things about USD that I respect. I believe the next day or so the Yotes when to Columbia Missouri and played Misszo close and then won the D2 championship the next year.

Other than that its hard to put NDSU's win in perspective. Its easy to say they are overdoing the celebration, but maybe not.  Its a big win in terms of marketing a product. Lets see what their home attendence will be for the Idaho game that comes up this week. If 3500 or more show up, its had an affect on the improvement of attendance. NDSU has been drawing roughly 2300 as an average up to this point.  

Saturday night NDSU women outdrew SDSU against IPFW, NDSU got 2300 and we got maybe 1500 so maybe the earlier win in the day brought in a few more fans who knows.

I think what make the win big is the dollars that the Big Dance gives to D1 institutions and the coverage that ESPN and other media have for D1 basketball. Thats would explain why the Fargo Media thinks this is the biggest ever and that the Montana win in Football is not even in the same book in terms of significance.

NDSU made a splash that is noticable with this win and might be the start of something big for them. The partnership that we have had so far with NDSU may help us out too. Who knows.

Comment

It may wake some of these conferences up and motivate them to make an investment in SDSU/NDSU. I think the closer we get to our 5 year reclassification the hotter the commodity we may become. It's first come first serve.

Comment

Originally posted by ballz

This won't effect recruiting.  The idea is to show recruits the quality of your program.  This was pretty much a case of unprecendented luck.  I'm not trying to bring the win down, but seriously, 20% shooting?  Thats rediculous.  If this was going to be such a giant boon for recruiting why isn't bucknell, manhatten etc. getting these great recruits?  They've had more upsets then this one.  Again great win, but I'm not really sure what this proves to recruits.  I guess if that single win over wisconsin is more important then academics, facilities, coaches, current players, scheduling, position needs, playing time available, etc. then good luck to them.  I don't think so though.
                Sorry to burst your bubble but if you look at all the opponents the bison have played this year you can go accross the board and see they had a lower then normal shooting percentage. Now you can make all the claims that the planets alinged blah blah blah, and don't give any credit to a good defensive effort by the Bison. We will see when we play you down there again. I agree that we need more then one win against a good team but hey I'm not going to apologize for a great effort by the Bison and the affects it has had already. You don't think it will affect recruiting fine live in your world with rose colored glasses. I'll take Coach Miles and his recruits over what you guys have anytime. I didn't want to post smack and maybe this whole section should be moved over there but you want to claim this was all luck and all due to the alignment of the planets and nothing to do with either coaching or having some dam good players with alot of potential fine. I'll believe the latter and you can pin your hopes on the planets alinging for your programs future. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                  If SDSU beat Kentucky or even Wisconsin for that matter, I would be the first guy in line to blow the win out of proportion.  I have a feeling the number of "so who thinks going D1 is a mistake now?" posts on this site and the argus site would probably close the sites down because of the incredibly high traffic levels.  I have no problem with NDSU using every millisecond of their 15 minutes of fame.  That's some crazy free advertising.  I would beat that dead horse until that dead horse's offspring were dead.  So would everyone on this site.
                  Thanks MilwaukeeJacksalum. I just take offense to some people who refuse to give credit and say it was all dumb luck. Either way its a good win for both programs in my opinion.

Comment

I'm not sure what the hubbub is about.

Saturday's win was a fantastic, stunning win by a brand new D-I program over the 15th rated team in the country.

The Bison are playing very, very, very good basketball right now. They've definitely elevated their play. SDSU needs to do the same.

The win adds to the attractiveness of the NDSU-SDSU partnership for some lucky conference somewhere. Just think, it could be the Big Sky right now bragging that their newbie member just knocked off a Big 10 team. Darn the luck.

This won't be the last win over a "major" conference team by either NDSU or SDSU. Take that to the bank.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Oh, and lest we forget:

SDSU 68, Wisconsin 65, December 8, 2005.

The Dakotas have been tough on Badger basketball this year.

Heh, heh, heh.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                        Oh, and lest we forget:

SDSU 68, Wisconsin 65, December 8, 2005.

The Dakotas have been tough on Badger basketball this year.

Heh, heh, heh.
                        Good point to bring up, but remember the fanfare that win got...practially none outside of this board and the Argus leader. Shows the importance of 1. WBB and 2. beating a crappy team no matter what conference affiliation.

I for one think the Bison win was huge and don't care how the other team played or who was or wasn't playing for them. A win, on the road, against the #15 team in the nation is big no matter who you are (unless of course you're ranked #1-14 and are expected to win).

I also think it's BS if anyone in their own slight way is trying to downplay the victory. Not saying anyone is, but I'm sure there are poeple (on this board or on the street) not giving credit where credit is due. It's called jealousy.

I also think it's crazy that we're on page four of this discussion. Game over, the Bison fans have defended themselves enough, everyone says good game and we move on. Too bad our WBB team doesn't get this kind of attention from the posters on this board.

And now I've contributed to page four. I'm just as guilty as the rest of you now. Great.

Comment

Yep, good win by the Bison, time to move on.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker
                            Sorry to burst your bubble but if you look at all the opponents the bison have played this year you can go accross the board and see they had a lower then normal shooting percentage. Now you can make all the claims that the planets alinged blah blah blah, and don't give any credit to a good defensive effort by the Bison. We will see when we play you down there again. I agree that we need more then one win against a good team but hey I'm not going to apologize for a great effort by the Bison and the affects it has had already. You don't think it will affect recruiting fine live in your world with rose colored glasses. I'll take Coach Miles and his recruits over what you guys have anytime. I didn't want to post smack and maybe this whole section should be moved over there but you want to claim this was all luck and all due to the alignment of the planets and nothing to do with either coaching or having some dam good players with alot of potential fine. I'll believe the latter and you can pin your hopes on the planets alinging for your programs future. ;D
                            Just calm down. I don't know what your point is. This was a huge UPSET, hence you had luck in winning it. I don't know where the insult is in pointing that out. Do you have better players then Wisconsin. Have you outrecruited them the last couple of years? No, then obviously some luck was involved.

About recruting, If you think that all of sudden recruits are going to be choosing NDSU over missouri valley, or even mid cont. schoos because of one game then you don't understand college basketball. Sorry if thats seeing things through my rose colored glasses.

Look, the only reason I said something is because there are 54 pages on bisonville that have been posted on this win. That doesn't seem like a bit much? For reference, thats more pages then were posted on the National championship game on a tarheels board I follow. If you think thats how it should be, congratulations.

Comment

Nothing like a good ole fashioned upset to propel your team into the national spot light. I received this email today and hopefully the NDSU backers and those who question my loyalties settle down:

Check out ESPN2 tomorrow morning (Tuesday). Coach Tim Miles our head
                              coach is going to be on "Cold Pizza" their morning show. Should be
                              entertaining and great for Bison Athletics!

Go Bison,
                              David Richman

Comment

This game is very likely to affect recruiting. If NDSU is one of the schools a recruit is considering, then this game will certainally be a factor. Also, NDSU is an above-average D-I team.

Comment

Working...
                                X