NDSU Big Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU Big Win

NDSU landed a big upset over Wisconsin today. 62-55.

I heard two of Wisconsins starters were out with injuries, but it is still
    a big win. I think Wisconsin was rated #13 or #14, and the game was
    at Wisconsin.

Re: NDSU Big Win

Breaking news in the Fargo Forum

Bison upset Badgers in Madison
    The Forum
    Published Saturday, January 21, 2006

MADISON, Wis. – North Dakota State University’s men’s basketball team upset No. 15-ranked Wisconsin 62-55 today at the Kohl Center in Madison.

Freshman guard Ben Wood-side lead the scoring for the Bison with 24 points. Junior forward Andre Smith scored 16 points and lead the team with 13 rebounds.

The Bison held an 18-point advantage into the final seven minutes, but the Badgers were able to cut the lead to seven with two minutes remaining.

But the Badgers’ Alando Tucker missed two free throws with 1:46 remaining, and Woodside intercepted Joe Krabbenhoft's inbounds pass with 1:31 remaining.

He was fouled by Taylor on the play, and made two free throws to put the Bison (11-9) ahead 56-47.

The Badgers (14-4) had their chances in the final minutes. But as was the case all game, they couldn't make their shots. Wisconsin shot 16-for-72, including 4-for-27 from 3-point range.

The loss added to an already rough week for the Badgers.

The Badgers lost their first Big Ten game at Ohio State Wednesday night, and will be missing two key reserves for an indefinite period of time.

Wisconsin was 1-for-10 from 3-point range in the first half – including two airball 3-point attempts on the same posses-sion by Ray Nixon and Taylor.

The Bison took a 13-11 lead on Andre Smith's putback, and extended the lead when guard Mike Nelson, a native of Madison, hit a layup to put them ahead 15-11 with 7:19 remaining in the half.

After making only three of their first 13 shots, the Bison made 11 of their last 15 to end the first half. Woodside led the Bison with 11 first-half points.

Wisconsin had one field goal in the final 11:50 before halftime.

An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
    US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Wisconsin had Greg Stiemsma and Marcus Landry out but they have never started. Landry was first off the bench though - Landry averaged 15 minutes and 6 pts a game, Stiemsma averaged 12 minutes / 3 points / 3 rebounds. They were both out for Ohio State too.

Comment

Great win for the Bison!!

Comment

Congradualations to the NDSU Bison.

This helps some people notice that D1 Basketball is being played in the Dakotas. It would be nice to see SDSU win in this way but this will not hurt us. ;D

Comment

Very impressive win for NDSU. Hopefully the Jacks will be able to pull off an upset or two like that next season. SDSU is on the right course, though progress is slow. The Bison, to their credit, are proving on a regular basis that this D-1 stuff is do-able. Despite the inferiority complex that inflicts many South Dakotans, SDSU can succeed, too, and even excell.
            This space for lease.

Comment

The two players who were out for the Badgers are not starters but were solid contributors off the bench. Marcus Landry is a freshman and isn't the first player off the bench but was a contributor who has seen his playing minutes dwindle once Big 10 play has begun. Greg Stiemsma backs up Brian Butch who was injured during the Ohio State game and was also out for today's game. Both Landry and Stiemsma have been suspended for academic reasons and most likely may not return to the Badger lineup this season. With two quality reserves out the Badgers were basically down to 9 scholarship players and a lean bench. Still that isn't any excuse for loosing to a team the calibar of NDSU when you are the #1 team currently in the big 10. Not many teams will win games when they shoot 16 of 72 from the field or 22%. May be a long remainder of the season for the Badgers with a depleted bench and starters having to carry the load.

On a bright note Joe Krabbenhoft played another solid game and posted 11 points, 7 rebounds and 2 assists.

Comment

I think it's all bright and trying to minimize the Bison's wonderful win is weak!

Comment

I would agree, its impossible to win when you shoot 22 per cent which is nearly unheard of.

I do give NDSU for their ability to play as a unit. For 4 red shirt freshman playing together as unit and supplemented with a Andre Smith and Phil Hahn both Juco's they seem to heading in the right direction.

SDSU needs a near perfect game on February 18th to come away with a win. Here is a chance to see what NDSU is all about. I think the Jacks fans need to show up in full force for the NDSU-SDSU game. Lets hope its a close won game and not another blow out.

Yes I was surprised that Krabbenhoft played as much and had a great game. Losing the two reserves I suppose gave Krabbenhoft some more playing time.

Comment

Thanks for reminding me why I should refrain from posting on this site.  I wasn't minimizing the NDSU win......horay for the Bison!  There I hope you feel better.  They still won't be in an NCAA Tourney for a long, long, long, long, long time.  Um, neither will SDSU.  Reality sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev
                      Thanks for reminding me why I should refrain from posting on this site.  I wasn't minimizing the NDSU win......horay for the Bison!  There I hope you feel better.  They still won't be in an NCAA Tourney for a long, long, long, long, long time.  Um, neither will SDSU.  Reality sucks.

Maybe so, but as it stands right now, no other team in South Dakota will ever be in the "Big Dance". Our reality is just fine.

SDSU, South Dakota's ONLY D-I University! 8)
                      Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                        I would agree, its impossible to win when you shoot 22 per cent which is nearly unheard of.

I do give NDSU for their ability to play as a unit. For 4 red shirt freshman playing together as unit and supplemented with a Andre Smith and Phil Hahn both Juco's they seem to heading in the right direction.

SDSU needs a near perfect game on February 18th to come away with a win. Here is a chance to see what NDSU is all about.  I think the Jacks fans need to show up in full force for the NDSU-SDSU game. Lets hope its a close won game and not another blow out.

Yes I was surprised that Krabbenhoft played as much and had a great game. Losing the two reserves I suppose gave Krabbenhoft some more playing time.
                        Krabenhoft has been getting more playing time then the two reserves who are out. He has been finishing most games.

Comment

Thanks and good for Joe, I really had not followed his career, but am glad he is doing well. I have never seen him play to be truthful, plus today's game was not televised.

Apparently Bo Ryan felt he could count on Krabenhoft as a true freshman and I guess thats all that matters.

Comment

Joe was never very healthy in high school and is showing in college what many of the top college talent evaluators saw in Joe and that is a player that does everything pretty well. I don't think many in South Dakota really apreciated how fundamentally sound this kid is at a young age.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev
                              You just never know.

Comment

Working...
                              X