Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Last scholarship???

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    Sorry about that. Good luck in the battle for Wolters!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
      I had a chance to see Wolters twice this past high school season. My opinion is if we get him he'd be able to help as a freshman. I love his game.
      He will definitely help SDSU as a freshman. I've never seen a 6'4 kid handle the basketball as good as Wolters. He would be an awesome pick up for SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzie679 View Post
        He will definitely help SDSU as a freshman. I've never seen a 6'4 kid handle the basketball as good as Wolters. He would be an awesome pick up for SDSU.
        Walters recruitment has been the oddest thing I think I have ever seen.... We offered early, he said no way, no how.... we left.... he had some low D-I looks, but he said he was going D-II..... Then he has a good post season, a really good all-star type of game and CSU, NDSU and SDSU come back..... and now its between SDSU, CSU, and Augie.....

Comment

Walters recruitment has been the oddest thing I think I have ever seen.... We offered early, he said no way, no how.... we left.... he had some low D-I looks, but he said he was going D-II..... Then he has a good post season, a really good all-star type of game and CSU, NDSU and SDSU come back..... and now its between SDSU, CSU, and Augie.....
          I would guess at least some of the confusion could be attributed to an over-zealous home town newspaper as well as hearsay from people not really in the know. It's pretty difficult for any of us to know where this young man was at any stage along the way, and as is the case most of the time, the truth is more dull than the speculation.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            I would guess at least some of the confusion could be attributed to an over-zealous home town newspaper as well as hearsay from people not really in the know. It's pretty difficult for any of us to know where this young man was at any stage along the way, and as is the case most of the time, the truth is more dull than the speculation.
            Exactly, and when you go to a high school that ends in the word Tech, is that not a engneering mind that we are recruiting? The Engineering school might have made a good impression and we might have something or some course that is of interest to this young man. Of course Colorado State may have the same. Hard to say what this is all about until he signs and makes some public statements. Even then, we still may not be clear on explantions and it just might be none of our business.

Comment

Well first of all Joe, most of what you posted is 2nd or 3rd hand information. I'm not ripping you for posting this, it has been posted on here so much that it has taken a life of its own.

The biggest issue I have with your post though is stating that Wolters said "no way, no how". Apparently that is not true.

Someone did post here representing Nate's dad and he did state this

Just a couple of things regarding my son, Nate Wolters.

First, the earlier posting about Nate having narrowed his choices to two colleges was not true.

Also, it is true that Nate will not be going to South Dakota State. Basically, SDSU wanted Nate to sign early, but we had some concerns that could not be addressed until after the basketball season. SDSU was aware of our concerns, but continued to push for Nate to sign early and even sent the National Letter of Intent to him last week. Finally, this past weekend, it became clear that there was no reason to continue the recruiting process with them. As far as we were concerned, it ended Saturday evening with an email to the SDSU coach.

Roger Wolters

It looks like SDSU is going to sign a very good player from Brookings. Best of luck to Brayden. Nate's AAU team played the Schoolers two times this past spring. They were a great team. I don't remember Brayden specifically, but I'm sure he must be a quality player.
              If I had to read between the lines here I think that the Wolters were concerned about committing to SDSU without assurances that Nagy would be around if SDSU had another bad season and was dismissed. That is probably why he did not want to commit early and want to wait until after the season.

At the end of his post, it sounds like he is congratulating Brayden for getting the last available scholarship for the Class of '09. It was later announced that Brayden would be given a Class of '10 scholarship and that SDSU still had an '09 Scholarship to hand out.

Now that the season is over and SDSU had a good enough season for Nagy and staff to stay, they decided to open up the recruitment of Nate again. It sounds like Nate has been receptive in opening up the lines of communication with SDSU again and they are one of three teams that he will play for next year.

I'm sure that Nate will make the best decision for him and his family. And I wish him the best in whatever decision he makes.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                Well first of all Joe, most of what you posted is 2nd or 3rd hand information. I'm not ripping you for posting this, it has been posted on here so much that it has taken a life of its own.

The biggest issue I have with your post though is stating that Wolters said "no way, no how". Apparently that is not true.

Someone did post here representing Nate's dad and he did state this

If I had to read between the lines here I think that the Wolters were concerned about committing to SDSU without assurances that Nagy would be around if SDSU had another bad season and was dismissed. That is probably why he did not want to commit early and want to wait until after the season.

At the end of his post, it sounds like he is congratulating Brayden for getting the last available scholarship for the Class of '09. It was later announced that Brayden would be given a Class of '10 scholarship and that SDSU still had an '09 Scholarship to hand out.

Now that the season is over and SDSU had a good enough season for Nagy and staff to stay, they decided to open up the recruitment of Nate again. It sounds like Nate has been receptive in opening up the lines of communication with SDSU again and they are one of three teams that he will play for next year.

I'm sure that Nate will make the best decision for him and his family. And I wish him the best in whatever decision he makes.
                Ok..... no way no how is a little hard but the guy has given like 3 final 3's for his final 3 teams he is looking at..... And I understand that it is a lot of 2nd and 3rd hand info but i'm just comenting on how wierd his recruitment has seemed..... It appeared that there was problems with early recruitment both parties went different ways and its appeared both have came back....... I hope he comes here and has a good career here.... It seems like coach Nagy really wants him, which can't be a bad thing.... and if Tim Miles wants him he can't be a recruit to sneeze at.....

Comment

Maybe Wolters is a little jerk and he like screwing with the different programs recruiting him.

Comment

We just don't know what's going on here. My guess is this little dance is not all that unusual in the world of recruiting. These are big decisions for young people and their families. Probably it's only unusual in that so much of their deliberation process has been publicized.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

• Re: Last scholarship???

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      We just don't know what's going on here. My guess is this little dance is not all that unusual in the world of recruiting. These are big decisions for young people and their families. Probably it's only unusual in that so much of their deliberation process has been publicized.
                      I agree totatly.... if you want 3 different answers to the same question just ask a 17 year old 3 different times..... I'm just saying that his recruitment has been odd, and quite public, for a lower D-I/D-II recruit.....

Comment

Ok..... no way no how is a little hard but the guy has given like 3 final 3's for his final 3 teams he is looking at..... And I understand that it is a lot of 2nd and 3rd hand info but i'm just comenting on how wierd his recruitment has seemed..... It appeared that there was problems with early recruitment both parties went different ways and its appeared both have came back....... I hope he comes here and has a good career here.... It seems like coach Nagy really wants him, which can't be a bad thing.... and if Tim Miles wants him he can't be a recruit to sneeze at.....
                        The recruiting of this young man has really taken on a life of its own like NorCalJack stated above. At the end of the day none of us really know what has been said on either part. I am glad to hear we are back in the running for two reasons. First, judging by reports on here this is the type of player we need to move forward. Second, it is a great opportunity for a freshman to come in and get major playing time versus sitting and waiting their turn.

I copied joboo22 on this reply because I thought it was curious that he put such high value on Tim Miles' opinion. My thought is that it isn't going to be long before we hold Coach Nagy in much higher esteem then he is right now. I didn't take the time to look it up but Coach Miles had a real struggle beating SDSU teams until the very end (thank you Ben Woodside). My guess is that Nagy is ahead of Miles in the win column and may be substantially ahead.

Best of luck to Mr. Wolters whatever his decision. I hope to see him sporting the Jackrabbit Yellow and Blue next year.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                          The recruiting of this young man has really taken on a life of its own like NorCalJack stated above. At the end of the day none of us really know what has been said on either part. I am glad to hear we are back in the running for two reasons. First, judging by reports on here this is the type of player we need to move forward. Second, it is a great opportunity for a freshman to come in and get major playing time versus sitting and waiting their turn.

I copied joboo22 on this reply because I thought it was curious that he put such high value on Tim Miles' opinion. My thought is that it isn't going to be long before we hold Coach Nagy in much higher esteem then he is right now. I didn't take the time to look it up but Coach Miles had a real struggle beating SDSU teams until the very end (thank you Ben Woodside). My guess is that Nagy is ahead of Miles in the win column and may be substantially ahead.

Best of luck to Mr. Wolters whatever his decision. I hope to see him sporting the Jackrabbit Yellow and Blue next year.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                          Did you ever consider Coach Nagy has been head coach a lot longer than Miles?

Let's face it, Miles is a good coach. Many people put a high value in Tim Miles' opinion and rightfully so.

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
                            Did you ever consider Coach Nagy has been head coach a lot longer than Miles?

Let's face it, Miles is a good coach. Many people put a high value in Tim Miles' opinion and rightfully so.
                            Agreed; Miles seems to have a pretty good ability to evaluate talent, for he did recruit Woodside, Winkleman, and Nelson all in the same class during a transitional period. There's a chance that could have been just luck, but I doubt it.

Also, I think Nagy and Co. are really starting to find a niche in recruiting at the DI level now that the transitional period is over, and quite frankly I am incredibly excited about next season and beyond. Sticking by Nagy is going to pay huge dividends here in the very near future!
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Some stuff missing from the 'Nate's dad post'.

So Nate was interested enough in signing with SDSU that he was willing to hold off committing early because of 'concerns that could not be addressed until after the season', and SDSU reps pressed him to sign anyway?

Weird stuff. I suppose we'll never know what really happened.

Comment

The whole Wolters saga so far has the feel of some weird combination of disinformation, along with the more understandable kid's difficulty making a very serious decision, I guess.

We'll know for sure when he signs a letter of intent with someone, I guess, and not a second before.

"All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X