Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Last scholarship???

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
    If Nate wants to coach someday, I would think he would want to attend a D-1 school. In my eyes playing D-1 has more prestige in this field than a lower level of competition. If that were the case, it would be between Colorado St. and SDSU.

Now I'm going to speculate even further here, but reading all of these posts I get the sense that Nate also wants stability in the coaching staff that is recruiting him. I believe that is why Nate did not want to sign early, to see how SDSU did this season. At this point I don't see Nagy going anywhere over the next 4 years that Nate would play here.

Colorado St. on the other hand, I could see Miles leaving if he got a better offer. He has left for better offers before and I think he would do it again if he could. But CSU has not had much success during Miles tenure and maybe they will replace him in a couple of years if things don't turn around for them.

There are pluses and minuses to each school that he is considering, but I think SDSU has as good a chance, if not a better chance than the other two schools. But then again I am slightly biased in my opinion. I'm sure it is not going to be an easy choice for Nate, but his decision will be what is best for him.

Go State!!!
    Go Jacks!!!
    Miles has been at CSU, what, two years? And he had to clean house when he got there. CSU is not getting rid of Miles anytime soon. I also don't think you can blame Miles for wanting to coach Colorado State over NDSU. Better conference, more national name recognition, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
      Miles has been at CSU, what, two years? And he had to clean house when he got there. CSU is not getting rid of Miles anytime soon. I also don't think you can blame Miles for wanting to coach Colorado State over NDSU. Better conference, more national name recognition, etc.
      There was also that $300,000 raise in salary. Also remember that Tim turned down a job at UNC-Wilmington, he won't just jump for the sake of moving up, it has to be the right fit.

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
        Well basically Miles has never stayed at one school longer than 6 years. Every time his teams have lost less than 10 games, he has parlaid that into a new job. In all of the years that Miles has coached, he has never lost 20 or more games in a season until he arrived at CSU. He now has the distiction of accomplishing that twice in both years he has coached at CSU. I'm sure if they lose another 20 games next year, he will be on the hot seat. It could go either way. If he is successful, he will leave. If he struggles, he will be forced out. Either way I don't see him being there the rest of his career.

Nagy on the other had has only been a head coach at one university and has been at SDSU for 14 years. He is well rooted into the university and the community. He is not going anywhere. If Nagy had been offered the CSU job, he would have turned it down. He is not using SDSU as a springboard to get a higher profile job.

So to get back on topic, if I'm a recruit and I look at both of these coaches, I know that Nagy will be there for his entire career. Miles, not real sure, but probably not.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Nagy on the other had has only been a head coach at one university and has been at SDSU for 14 years. He is well rooted into the university and the community. He is not going anywhere. If Nagy had been offered the CSU job, he would have turned it down. He is not using SDSU as a springboard to get a higher profile job.
          I believe Coach Nagy applied for the Bradley University job awhile back (7 years ago?). Right?

Comment

Well basically Miles has never stayed at one school longer than 6 years. Every time his teams have lost less than 10 games, he has parlaid that into a new job. In all of the years that Miles has coached, he has never lost 20 or more games in a season until he arrived at CSU. He now has the distiction of accomplishing that twice in both years he has coached at CSU. I'm sure if they lose another 20 games next year, he will be on the hot seat. It could go either way. If he is successful, he will leave. If he struggles, he will be forced out. Either way I don't see him being there the rest of his career.

So to get back on topic, if I'm a recruit and I look at both of these coaches, I know that Nagy will be there for his entire career. Miles, not real sure, but probably not.
            Nagy would have turned down a $450-500k salary and a job in what basically is a high-major conference? I find that very hard to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
              Nagy would have turned down a $450-500k salary and a job in what basically is a high-major conference? I find that very hard to believe.
              thread drift

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                I believe Coach Nagy applied for the Bradley University job awhile back (7 years ago?). Right?
                Nagy was on a short list of candidates but never got an interview. I watched the Peoria newspaper message board for several weeks. Nagy's name never came up as a possibilty. I cant remember who got the job, but our coach was not even close for consideration. There were about seven or eight candidates on the short list as I recall.

Also Coach Scott Nagy's dad's best friend and assistant ahead of Nagy's dad at U of Illinois, Jimmy Collins, got an interview and was never close. Scott's record at SDSU got him on the short list but thats about all. I think because the Bradley job would bring him home to his roots was about his only interest.

If Coach Nagy has a couple 20 win season, his marketablity will go up considerably, and if a 500k job comes down the pike, he might just take it.

Comment

I do too, but fortunately for SDSU, I don't think there has been any thing resembling this kind of offer out there for consideration. That could change. Yes Coach Nagy is attached to Brookings, but that can change with the right offer.

Comment

Anyone else find it ironic that we had to listen to talk of firing Nagy all of this season and now we are talking about him leaving for a couple 100k advancement in pay?
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Are you serious? You really believe Nagy wouldn't take a job at a higher profile school, with a bigger recruiting base, a better conference and a $300,000 raise if he was offered it? Nagy would increase his salary by 4 times or more with that move. I guarantee if we were at Cubby's right now having a beer and talking about this ... you would have the biggest smirk on your face because you couldn't say what you said with a straight face.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                        Anyone else find it ironic that we had to listen to talk of firing Nagy all of this season and now we are talking about him leaving for a couple 100k advancement in pay?
                        I find it ironic and funny.

Comment

I wouldn't count the Mountain West as a high-major conference. I would call the ACC, Big East, SEC, Big Twelve, etc. high major conferences.

Comment

Lets get back on topic. Anyone heard anything about Nate?

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                              Lets get back on topic. Anyone heard anything about Nate?
                              Right. Wasn't today the day?
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                                Right. Wasn't today the day?
                                He should have already announced his intentions. They must be waiting for the national news to get up to St Cloud for the live press conference. Maybe Duke is in the picture

Comment

Working...
                                X