Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008-09 Season about to Tip off

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    I listened to several of the players after the game and they were disappointed in their effort. Many comments about the lack of intensity, being out-hustled on the boards and for loose balls. Why do parents and athletes get so defensive when someone points out their deficiencies these days? If someone doesn't tell you the effort isn't what is expected how do you know you need to improve?

I'm tired of people taking offense when a poor performance is recognized and called what it is. Don't perform on a stage if you don't want the criticism and don't look for praise if you can't handle the critique. No one forces these athletes to sign for and accept scholarship money.

If you can't recognize what I'm trying to say I don't know how to make it any more clear. Being critical of the poor performance on Monday is not the same as not being supportive. I teach medical students every day and the worse thing you can do is never give a negative evaluation. Heck, that applies to my peers at the hospital and clinic as well.
    For the most part the people who take the time to post on this board care. At the DI level there is a higher level of attention and debate both when things are going well and not so well. There are plenty of schools out there where apathy for what is happening on the athletic playground runs rampant. Perhaps if players and parents can't stomach critcism when it may be warranted they should have chose a non-scholarship DIII opportunity. If parents and players show up on this board to read about how great Johnny is then you came to the wrong place, because the reality we should be able praise and critique without sensorship. When the times comes when we are chastised for having expectations for the team and coaches than I will stop posting and buying seasons tickets as there are plenty of other athletic entertainment options where there should be no expectations, but the college level is not one of them. Players and Parents come and go. Some decide to stay the course and be a fan and others move on with there life and that's fine. Most of the folks on this board are fans for the long hall and are entitled to speak their mind.

Comment

Men's Preview from the Register is up:
      http://www.brookingsregister.com/V2_...d=3363&page=77

The Jacks return three starters, led by 6-6 junior Kai Williams. Williams led the team in points (14.0 per game) and rebounds (7.8) last season, and will be asked to do the same this year. Williams' key is to have options available so defenses can't key on and double-team him.

"We expect a lot from him," says Nagy. "What we need and what we're getting right now more than the rebounding and scoring is leadership. The best teams have their best players be the leader."

Junior point guard Garrett Callahan was the only other double-digit scorer that returns. Callahan has had some problems with passing and ball control that needs to be solved. Sophomore Clint Sargent returns next to Callahan and looks to have a breakout year. Sargent looks to step up with point production , particularly from behind the arc, where he struggled last year.

"They are both different players than they were last year," says Nagy. "They are playing with more confidence."
      Plus a quick brief from Monday's Game:
      http://www.brookingsregister.com/V2_...d=3372&page=77
      Although the Jackrabbits controlled the scoreboard through much of the game, they were never quite able to pull away. The Mustangs took advantage, taking their first lead with just over three minutes left in the game and closing out the exhibition.

"One thing that our players saw tonight was that if we are going to be small, which we may be for most of the year, that we've still got to play hard," SDSU Coach Scott Nagy said.

Comment

I'm sure everybody is disappointed with Mondays game. I think that Nagy's approach to exhibition games should worry everyone. He hasn't had a positive outcome in one of those games, that I can remember. I know our teams haven't been good either but you can tell that he doesn't care about those games. They play somewhat better during the season. How much better, nobody knows. I know you all go by W's and L's. They haven't had many W's and it gets frustrating. Play isn't as sloppy as it was a couple years ago. Still not the best but you should see a difference. I'm(like everybody else) hoping for a bigger jump than last year.
        I never take a exhibition games seriously. I think our team should have won but their team outplayed ours. I'll wait until the 1st month of the season is over before I judge the team. There are several questions that should be answered by then.
        1) Is Davis out the whole year?
        2) How soon will Cassaday and Sargent get healthy?
        3) Will this team shoot the 3 pointer better?
        4) Will Michael get healthy and play or will they redshirt him?
        5) I hear that Griffan is the best shooter on the team. Is that true?
        The exhibition game didn't have any answers for any of these question. The answer to #3 would be no but it could be just an off night. Otherwise, Davis, Cassaday, Michael, Griffan and Sargent(quit a bit) didn't even play. If all these guys are out the whole year, it could be a really long season. I guess we know that Griffan will be back(after the 1st month) but you get my point.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
          1) Is Davis out the whole year?
          2) How soon will Cassaday and Sargent get healthy?
          3) Will this team shoot the 3 pointer better?
          4) Will Michael get healthy and play or will they redshirt him?
          5) I hear that Griffan is the best shooter on the team. Is that true?
          1) I don't believe so. He wasn't on crutches at the exhibition game.
          2) Cassaday, don't know. Sargent--he was at the women's game last night and it didn't look like he was hurting anymore. I thought it looked like his back on Monday night but I don't know for sure what was hurting.
          3) I think they will shoot better this year. Mac, Kai, Clint, Garrett, and Griffan(after the holidays) should be able to shoot the 3's. Cassaday seemed more like a slasher to me and he has been hurt so I haven't seen what his outside shot looks like. They just need to hit their first shot and feel confident about taking another shot.
          4) Can't help you with that one.
          5) Griffan took 2 three point shots during Midnight Madness and made both. His shot looks pretty good.
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

If Griffan begins playing in January I believe he will have 2 years left. If he sits out the whole year he will have 3 years left. Tough call!

Comment

From what I've heard they are hoping to have Palarca back for the season opener versus San Jose State. If not, I would think shortly thereafter. Cassaday I'm not sure and Sargent shouldn't be out very long.

Comment

Cassaday has a nice jump shot. He can definitely hit the 3, contested or not. That said, I don't think we are going outshoot a lot of our opponents. We need to defend the 3-point line better. If there is one thing I'd like to see Coach Nagy change its his belief that he would rather give up an open 3 than a shot from the block or in the lane. The 3 point shot has often swung games where we had a solid lead and resulted in a loss. Take Monday night as one example. We need to close out on guys and make the pass or dribble at the 3-point line.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  If Griffan begins playing in January I believe he will have 2 years left. If he sits out the whole year he will have 3 years left. Tough call!
                  Seems like he should have more than that. Can anybody verify for sure? He didn't play at UND, so he burned his redshirt last year up there and then here last spring. He sat out his transfer ineligible year from December of Last year to December of this year.

To me, it seems he should have 3.5 years left if he starts playing in January. But it is the NCAA, so who really knows for sure.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                    Seems like he should have more than that. Can anybody verify for sure? He didn't play at UND, so he burned his redshirt last year up there and then here last spring. He sat out his transfer ineligible year from December of Last year to December of this year.

To me, it seems he should have 3.5 years left if he starts playing in January. But it is the NCAA, so who really knows for sure.
                    From what I know, this is true. He will have 3.5 years of eligibility come the end of this semester. He essentially lost a half-year of eligibility because he transferred in the middle of his freshman/redshirt year.

He has to play this year due to the 10-semester rule. If he waited until next fall he would technically have 4 years left but only 3 years to complete those 4 years per the 10-semester rule. The 10-semester rule states that you have to use up your 4 years (8 semsters) of eligibility up within 5 years (10 semesters). Another example is Monke on the football team. A medical redshirt for this year does him no good because he redshirted and he has to abide by the 10-semester rule as well.

Comment

• Re: 2008-09 Season about to Tip off

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                      From what I know, this is true. He will have 3.5 years of eligibility come the end of this semester. He essentially lost a half-year of eligibility because he transferred in the middle of his freshman/redshirt year.

He has to play this year due to the 10-semester rule. If he waited until next fall he would technically have 4 years left but only 3 years to complete those 4 years per the 10-semester rule. The 10-semester rule states that you have to use up your 4 years (8 semsters) of eligibility up within 5 years (10 semesters). Another example is Monke on the football team. A medical redshirt for this year does him no good because he redshirted and he has to abide by the 10-semester rule as well.
                      In D1, it's 5 consecutive years from the time you enroll full-time at a post-secondary institution. In D2, it's the first 10-semester. In D2, they do not have to be consecutive. The 5 year and 10 semester rules are time frames that a student-athlete can exhaust his or her eligibility in. If he redshirted last year, he would have three years of eligibility after this. His participation in the second semester would be counted as a full year of eligibility used and not just "a semester". I know you touched on the 5 year rule, but your reference to the 10 semester rule could confuse some with the D1 and D2 differences.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Cassaday has a nice jump shot. He can definitely hit the 3, contested or not. That said, I don't think we are going outshoot a lot of our opponents. We need to defend the 3-point line better. If there is one thing I'd like to see Coach Nagy change its his belief that he would rather give up an open 3 than a shot from the block or in the lane. The 3 point shot has often swung games where we had a solid lead and resulted in a loss. Take Monday night as one example. We need to close out on guys and make the pass or dribble at the 3-point line.
                        SMSU only made 4 of 16 3-pointers. They killed us down low. They ended up with 20 offensive rebounds. Covering the 3 the last couple of years has hurt State but this year might be the rebounding. We need some of the big guys to get healthy to help out on this.
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

The players are not happy at all. Nagy better get this fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                            SMSU only made 4 of 16 3-pointers. They killed us down low. They ended up with 20 offensive rebounds. Covering the 3 the last couple of years has hurt State but this year might be the rebounding. We need some of the big guys to get healthy to help out on this.
                            I definitely agree that rebounding could be a huge issue if it doesn't improve dramatically. Offensive rebounds often lead to wide-open 3-point looks as well.

I also know they only made 4 of them but 2 of them came during their run at the end of the game. One to pull within 2 at 59-57 and one to go ahead 64-63.

06:21 59-57 H 2 GOOD! 3 PTR by Peschong, Andrew

03:19 63-64 V 1 GOOD! 3 PTR by Beilke, Andy
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                              How can you judge a team when 3 players were on the bench hurt, Clint sits out most of the second half (probably with an injury and not wanting it to get worse), and 2 more who aren't able to play until Jan.? The players heard enough about the intensity from the coaches after the 'exhibition' game and I'm sure practice so far this week. Then they have to hear about posts on the SDSU "fans" forum about how horrible they are. I could say more but a lot of it would need to be censored so I'll stop now. Let the dinged rep points commence (like I pay attention to them anyways).
                              look who we played! Would any of them make our team? If so, how did they get away?

Comment

When 3 walk-ons (i'm including Casey) are of the 9 players playing. Its going to be a long season. Nothing against them but on a D-I team they shouldn't be playing those types of minutes. Where hurt pretty bad. Anthony Davis would be a huge help and is quite possibly out for the year. Cassidy will fill a huge void but has struggled with injuries with his time here. Sargent doesn't appear to be 100%, and this team has to get better from the perimitor. and has to get better on the boards.

Unlike past years though, I think this roster is good enough to be competitive with most teams. The question is will the full roster ever be available? I think when Griffen is ellgible he will help, and when Cassidy comes back he will help. The qustion wll be if Davis can play and if he can, to what extent. If he can play 100% this will be a pretty good year. If he doesn't play and if Cassidy is on again off again health wise this year it could be a long year.

Comment

Working...
                                X