Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008-09 Season about to Tip off

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    When 3 walk-ons (i'm including Casey) are of the 9 players playing. Its going to be a long season. Nothing against them but on a D-I team they shouldn't be playing those types of minutes. Where hurt pretty bad. Anthony Davis would be a huge help and is quite possibly out for the year. Cassidy will fill a huge void but has struggled with injuries with his time here. Sargent doesn't appear to be 100%, and this team has to get better from the perimitor. and has to get better on the boards.

Unlike past years though, I think this roster is good enough to be competitive with most teams. The question is will the full roster ever be available? I think when Griffen is ellgible he will help, and when Cassidy comes back he will help. The qustion wll be if Davis can play and if he can, to what extent. If he can play 100% this will be a pretty good year. If he doesn't play and if Cassidy is on again off again health wise this year it could be a long year.
    As I've said on other threads... Davis is out for the year. I have heard directly from him. He told me they are looking to see if he can get a medical redshirt.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      As I've said on other threads... Davis is out for the year. I have heard directly from him. He told me they are looking to see if he can get a medical redshirt.
      Would he need a medical redshirt if this is his first season at SDSU and at this level? I would think he could take a traditional redshirt like Casey did last year. Not that that changes the fact that he's out for the year, just curious on clarification.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Doesn't it seem like ever since Matt Jones mysterious illness this team has been snakebitten?

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
          The players are not happy at all. Nagy better get this fixed.
          Its a good thing the players are upset. They should be. But I can't agree with the 'Nagy better get this fixed' comment. Untimately, the players need to overcome and show the motivation to maximize the talent that they do have on the court. Nagy and the staff share in the responsibility to be sure, but ultimately the playes have to strap it up and play.

There's no benefit to worrying about who is injured, what players aren't on the team. The Jacks do have some talent, but with thier troubling combination of a lack of size down low and inconsistent perimeter play offensively, the tale of this season will be told strictly on how much they study and prepare and then how much sheer will and effort they bring to the court each night.

That's all they can control. Their will to not get beat defensively and to strive to scratch and claw and hustle their way to every rebound and loose ball on the court. That's what they have, and that's where they need to start rebuilding this program is with sheer will and extreme effort.
          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            Doesn't it seem like ever since Matt Jones mysterious illness this team has been snakebitten?
            Yes it makes me wonder too, but I think too, that Coach Nagy would not be doing his job if he could not get all the intensity he can out of the team. Most of us would not last 5 minutes in his practice. I know I won't.

I always had the theory that basketball is a very hard on feet in general. Plus when they start flying in the air without pads like they have in football and where they land and what they land on makes for injuries of sprains and broken bones. Any team that can make it through a season without an injury, is indeed very very fortunate. We are yet to have that season.

Comment

A brief post on the "criticize" and "not criticize" issue: I don't have a problem with criticism as long as it isn't overboard. But I do have a problem with jumping on the players and the coaches after one exhibition game (yes, I understand the "we haven't been good before and so now we must be bad again" temptation). The "if we don't get it fixed right now we will have a horrible season" attitude doesn't add a thing to the discussion IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                Hopefully, they come out of their closed practice Thursday against the Mavs of UNO looking alright.
                I heard the men smoked UNO by 30 yesterday. I doubt this bit of info will cause a few here to ease back from the edge,but i thought i would pass it along.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                  I heard the men smoked UNO by 30 yesterday. I doubt this bit of info will cause a few here to ease back from the edge,but i thought i would pass it along.
                  I'm not aware of anybody thats needs to ease back from the edge based on the performance of the men's team, maybe the stock market, the election results, or some other major issue. Many are aware that the team really needs to improve, hopefully that will happen. A good performance against UNO in a scrimmage would be a positive.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Who is UNO ?? PLEASE

Comment

A D-2 nobody known as the University of Nebraska-Omaha. They were a former member of the NCC, who's old head coach was good friends with DC.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        I'm not aware of anybody thats needs to ease back from the edge based on the performance of the men's team, maybe the stock market, the election results, or some other major issue. Many are aware that the team really needs to improve, hopefully that will happen. A good performance against UNO in a scrimmage would be a positive.
                        Well,we one say we need a new coach, one said he about lost hope after the loss to SMS, and one talked to some "fans" that probably won't come to anymore games after that loss.

My point is : If a loss in a freaking exhibition game is your tipping point than you must already be out on the ledge.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                          A D-2 nobody known as the University of Nebraska-Omaha. They were a former member of the NCC, who's old head coach was good friends with DC.
                          Blue...don't know if you're description of UNO is trying to minimize the team we scrimmaged (probably), but for bballfan 54, I would prefer to note that they were an NCC school with us for many years, gone now to the Missouri Conference, since the NCC broke up with the move to D-I by USD and North Dakota. I have no idea how good or bad they are right now...but would expect them to be as good as the Southwest Minnesota State U team we played in the exhibition game.

Comment

I know they were pretty good last year, over 20 wins and won the NCC conference tourney. I believe they have their top 2 returning scorers back. I used to live in Omaha and got a chance to see them play from time to time.

Beating UNO should be expected as was Southwest Minnesota State. But, with all the L's these players have experienced, any win no matter who the team can only help.

But, saying "Who is UNO. PLEASE" doesn't make much sense. They are normally a pretty solid DII school (over 20 wins quite a few times over the last 6 or so years) that were able to split with SDSU the last two seasons they played. With the struggles we've had of late, I don't think bagging on other teams is very smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              Blue...don't know if you're description of UNO is trying to minimize the team we scrimmaged (probably), but for bballfan 54, I would prefer to note that they were an NCC school with us for many years, gone now to the Missouri Conference, since the NCC broke up with the move to D-I by USD and North Dakota. I have no idea how good or bad they are right now...but would expect them to be as good as the Southwest Minnesota State U team we played in the exhibition game.

I just wanted to know who the team was meaning where they were from , thanks anyway .

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFroshFan View Post
                                I know they were pretty good last year, over 20 wins and won the NCC conference tourney. I believe they have their top 2 returning scorers back. I used to live in Omaha and got a chance to see them play from time to time.

Beating UNO should be expected as was Southwest Minnesota State. But, with all the L's these players have experienced, any win no matter who the team can only help.

But, saying "Who is UNO. PLEASE" doesn't make much sense. They are normally a pretty solid DII school (over 20 wins quite a few times over the last 6 or so years) that were able to split with SDSU the last two seasons they played. With the struggles we've had of late, I don't think bagging on other teams is very smart.
                                I don't imagine bball54 was bagging on UNO. She's from Canada. She doesn't know who UNO is.

Comment

Working...
                                X