2008-2009 Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008-2009 Predictions

Wow a lot of angst over an exhibition game loss. I seem to recall Michigan State losing an exhibition to a D-II team and making it to the Sweet 16 last year. Now, I'm not saying we are the Spartans but maybe we could let the season start before we right off this group of Jackrabbits. Just an idea.

Go State!

Comment

Its not just angst over one loss, its losses over FOUR YEARS!! The AD's office is also aware of the concerns stated here.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
        What information makes you think this. Like I said before that decision will not be made by anyone on this board.
        Agreed. Nor should it be made by individual donors to or sponsors of Jackrabbit athletics. It will be a decision made by the administration. Its way premature to speculate and I apologize if I am encouraging that. Let Coach Nagy and his staff show us what these players can do this year. It doesn't matter what we expect or what we believe should or shouldn't happen. Decisions aren't up to fans but the right to question or express concerns is a given one. THats what this forum is about. Its not just a place to say rah rah and sis boom bah. Its a place where reasonable discourse about the programs and events at SDSU both on and of the playing field can be discussed. Its going to be another interesting year for Coach Nagy. I assure you there is a level of expectation from his bosses, just like their is in every job. I don't know what the level is but it makes sense that if he doesn't satisfy those expectations or hasn't satisfied them in the past that a replacement may be appropriate.

Again, I agree, not a decision for anyone on this board to make and I sure hope you don't presume we are naive enough to think that.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

if the administration ever gets to the point that they believe things can't be improved so just keep doing the same old thing, that is when I call for the admin to be fired. Why the heck did we make the move in the first place? Because the opportunity for better things for the athletes, students, university and, yes the fans, was there if we went for it. Did we know there were going to be struggles? Yes. Does that mean we bail on the coach? No. Does that mean we don' t make the tough decisions that some time need to be made? No.

I don' t get this idea that a decision needs to wait until after next years season because that is the senior year for the first D1 recruits. So you tell the jr class that we think a change needs to be made for half their years but we are going to wait. If a player says they are going to leave if a change is made, you look them in the eye and say the decision is being made on what you think is the best interests of the program and they have always had the right to quit the program.

Again, I want to state that I want Coach Nagy to be here for many years into the future; but I want a competitive program more. I still think they are not mutually exclusive, but if we have another year like the last couple, I think keeping Coach Nagy would significantly delay my primary desire.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            Say what you want about coach Nagy,but he's made SDSU a destination, not a stepping stone to a better job. If a new guy comes in and has some sucess, more than likely he will move on, then you get to start the whole process over.
            You don't want your coaching job to be a destination, at this level you want a coach that is hungry and ready to do the kind of things that will get him a better job. Sure the coach has to be loyal to the program to a degree but in my book if a program is losing coaches to jobs higher up on the food chain they are doing the right things.

Comment

Boy this whole knee jerk reaction mentality to any little thing is out of control. And it is not just this thread, but as a society as a whole. If they predict a hurricane in the gulf, oil prices go up just on the perception that something bad will happen. I could go on, but we have to keep things in perspective, we are 0-0 this year. At least give the team a chance before you throw them under the bus. If at the end of the year you don't like what you see, then fine, but at least let the year unfold before you throw in the towel.

I posted a thread in the WBB at Missouri thread about tempering our enthusiasm and how SDSU will make Missouri victim number 1. In the words of AJ from the Argus Leader today,

"Early in the year is a good time to remind the team that this particular team hasn't really done anything,"
              The same applies to the men's team, they have not accomplised anything and they have not lost anything. It will be earned on the court and until I see them play a team that really means anything, I will hold my judgement.

That being said, San Jose State will be a very strong test for the Jacks. They are tall and athletic. Two things we are missing, but you have to remember that this is a team sport and the best team will win, not the team with the best athletes. Unfortunately for the Jacks, we also have to fight the injury bug, which impacts our ability to play as a team.

We saw what the injury bug can do to our football team this year and what it did to the WBB team early last season. I will pass judgement of this years team until after they play a meaningful game and when the injury bug is over. Unfortunately for Davis, that may not be this year. But I guarantee that we will put 5 men on the court and will play inspired basketball.

End of Rant!!

In an attempt to get this thread back on topic, I will predict 14 wins this season and 9 conference wins, which will get us into the conference tourney.

Go State!!!
              Go Jacks!!!
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I have tried to make it clear in my posts that the decision should be made at the end of this year. But it does strike me as somewhat odd that after being told to wait and see what happens on the court, it is OK to make predict what the record at the end of the season will be.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Well I am predicting lots of fun and good games...see you all soon..

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post
                    Further, have we gotten to the point where we are happy with 8th place in in the conference? No offence intended to my buddy Jackmd. Has our standard of accpetance been lowered that much? Maybe I am the one being unrealistic but I still believe in the standards of ten years ago.
                    No, but realistically we are at a point where an 8th place in the conference would be a realistic goal for THIS year. Then next year, we should expect better with a senior class that has been through an entire career at the Division I level and another class of recruits coming in.

All I am saying is that its obvious that the pieces aren't in place for a huge turnaround THIS year. It is going to continue to be a process.
                    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

• Re: 2008-2009 Predictions

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
                      Rep. points given!

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post
                        Sorry I should have have pointed out that the thing I dont get is how people can say we have been anything but terrible. ANYONE explain to me in a realistic way how they seeing us being better in the next 2-4 years.
                        A realistic way to get better is to keep the team together. A look back over the last few years shows that.
                        1) 08-09- I don't know about injuries but this team looks like it will be staying together. Kai, Garrett, Anthony, Dale, Clint and Michael make a solid foundation. Several of those players have said that they are staying here for their careers. There are 2 seniors on the team this year Casey and Wipf. There are 5 Jr's and 6 Soph's in the classes below that. That will be more upperclassmen than any team back to 01-02.
                        2) 07-08- 3 Sr's, 1 Jr(Wipf) and 4 Soph's.
                        3) 06-07- There were 2 seniors(Frias and Kleinjan), 2 Jr's(Casey and Loney-were they on athletic scholarships when they came here?) and 1 Soph(Cadwell).
                        4) 05-06- 0 seniors, 4 Jr's and 3 Soph's.
                        5) 04-05- 3 Sr's(Geiver, Hokenson and DeJong), 0 Jr's and 3 Soph's.
                        Back before that we had a good teams with solid upperclassmen.

My point is when you have 4 or less juniors and seniors combined your team will struggle. That is what SDSU has had the last 4 years. Trying playing DI competition with mainly DII players as upperclassmen is tough. I know there have been many classes that have had people leave but I think the juniors and sophomore's are going to change that. Will we not lose any more players? Probably not but not like in the past.

Comment

Before you make any coaching changes... I think you have to give them a fair shot..... Other wise you won't have anybody with any experience wanting to get close to it....

With this everybody knew there was going to be tough times.... Its been multiplied by bad luck, injuries, and transfers..... I think you have to let some of the recruits come in and do something.....

Kai and Garrett have been great for us.... Will go away as 2 of the best to put on a Jacks uniform.

Cassady and Palarca are D-I talents, so is Rader, White and Feigen..... White and Feigen would of gotten some looks from the Creigton's, Northern Iowa's, if we hadn't inked them early.....

I just look at this year.... If Palarca, Cassady, and Davis play the pre-season game we win by 10+..... and I don't think that them not playing had anything to do with the coaches.....

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
                            This is not in direct reply to Mrs. Williams.

I have a hard time believing that if, and I mean IF, this team struggles to another 20 plus loss season that it will be lots of fun. Don't get me wrong, its not only about winning or losing and the year hasn't even started yet. However, I'm not going to follow along happily with any group of supporters who wants us to be satisfied and accept mediocrity or less because we made the move to DI. Don't get upset with me and many fans like me who want to see this program achieve what it should, being a competitive and well-respected mid-major that contends for conference titles/championships and even get consideration for an at-large bid.

We are a LONG way from the lofty goals I just stated. However, I'm not going to be told that the way things are is the best we can expect so just be happy with it. Forget that line of crap right now. Things may be better this year, I sure EXPECTED that they would. If they aren't better and there isn't clear progression towards previously stated goals than I have a problem. Nothing is being blown out of proportion, I'm not overreacting, I'm just stating my opinion and the opinion of most of the fellow staunch Jackrabbit supporters I talk to everyday.

I can't wait for tomorrow night's game. I'll be listening on WNAX and I'm anticipating a all-out, fully intense performance by whatever players we can put on the court. LETS GO RABBITS!!
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                              Rep. points given!

Go State!
                              Leaving now byeeeeee

Comment

Something which I read a while back and have meant to post . . . perhaps now is a good time . . .

This is Kansas coach Bill Self on converting to more of a run-and-gun game for the Jayhawks:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/873522.html

“No, no,” Self said. “One thing about running is it has to be an everytime thing. We are not to the point yet where our bigs run every time, where our wings run every time. That takes discipline. I think we can get to that point, but to say that we can run like last year’s team … we don’t need to start thinking that we’re that, because we’re not.”

The whole exchange — the difference between the players’ hopes and Self’s measured approach — came off a bit like children trying to get something past their parents. The Jayhawks can think about running all they want, but will Self actually let them go?

“Sometimes,” Self said, “the faster young kids play, the more careless they become. And we’re not going to sacrifice taking care of the basketball for the appearance of playing faster.”
                                You can win with a small lineup--especially at the lower end of D-I where we are right now--if they're willing to run and run and run and run and run and run and run, and then run some more, and run so much that the other team gives up at the end.

I haven't seen Nagy's new offense but my understanding is that it was going to be more up-tempo than previous years. I don't know how much of that offense got tried out against SW Minnesota, but I'm guessing not a lot. (If so, I happen to disagree with that approach, but again I'm not the coach.) But I've got a feeling, as just one guy in the stands, that you can't just run every once in a while. You've got to run every single $@$@@ possession--a stance that I think Bill Self is endorsing in his quote up there.

What we need to see this year is if the players have the discipline as well as the stamina to play the game Nagy wants them to play. And we need to see if Nagy is a coach who can instill that discipline on D-I players.

Neither condition is currently in evidence. We'll know a lot more about this team by Christmas, I think. I'll wait until then to start panicking (if necessary).

I'd just leave it with saying that the SDSU men's basketball team has a LOT to prove--to themselves, to the fans, to their conference opponents, and to all of Division I. It's up to them whether or not they have the desire and drive to do something about that. Until proven otherwise, I will assume that this team has that desire and drive.

Go get 'em, Rabbits!
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X