2007 Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2007 Roster

Since we have a scholarship open (but not really available long-term due to the commitments from White and Fiegen), Nagy has the option of giving Mac a scholarship (if he needs one) if the decision is made to red-shirt him.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
      Since we have a scholarship open (but not really available long-term due to the commitments from White and Fiegen), Nagy has the option of giving Mac a scholarship (if he needs one) if the decision is made to red-shirt him.
      Pretty sure Mac has an academic scholarship.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        Pretty sure Mac has an academic scholarship.
        That may be the case (or he has some other financial arrangements), but those arrangements typically only for a maximum of four years. A basketball scholarship next year may be required in order for him to red-shirt this year.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
          That may be the case (or he has some other financial arrangements), but those arrangements typically only for a maximum of four years. A basketball scholarship next year may be required in order for him to red-shirt this year.
          I'm assuming that his scholarship is fully funded by his reservation or the Native American's. (Speculation) I know that if you are Native American, you get compensation, but I do not know how much. I've heard you get everything paid for....but I do not know if this is correct or if it's for more than 4 years. Somebody would have to help me on this?

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
            I'm assuming that his scholarship is fully funded by his reservation or the Native American's. (Speculation) I know that if you are Native American, you get compensation, but I do not know how much. I've heard you get everything paid for....but I do not know if this is correct or if it's for more than 4 years. Somebody would have to help me on this?
            I've heard the same.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
              Not true at all. There is no magic pot of money that pays 4 years for Native American students and it's one of those preconceived ideas that seems really to have taken hold. I just spoke to Doris Giago, a Native American professor at SDSU and a respected elder and mentor to many Native American students at state. She wants people to understand that while there are scholarships aimed at Native American students, they are very competitive and if Native students do receive grants-in-aid, they are the same grants available to everyone who comes from underprivileged backgrounds.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I don't know Makenzie's case but I do know that Derrick Mccauley has a scholarship given threw the Native American Department so Derrick's scholarship doesn't count against the basketball teams out here. I'm sure that what it is is Makenzie files his federal grant aid or whatever and the tribe backs the rest thats generally how it works the way I understand it.

Comment

Let's see if this thread can get back to the main thrust of the topic: Roster 2007. Some of the speculation about Native American scholarships can lead some to make troublesome comments and I think we should just avoid that. JimmyJack's post is fairly accurate based on information I've seen.

Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    Not true at all. There is no magic pot of money that pays 4 years for Native American students and it's one of those preconceived ideas that seems really to have taken hold. I just spoke to Doris Giago, a Native American professor at SDSU and a respected elder and mentor to many Native American students at state. She wants people to understand that while there are scholarships aimed at Native American students, they are very competitive and if Native students do receive grants-in-aid, they are the same grants available to everyone who comes from underprivileged backgrounds.
                    Thanks for clarifying. I (and many others) thought this was true.

Comment

It would be nice to have Mackenzie on the team in 2008 to provide some senior leadership in the Jacks' first year of tournament eligibility. He contributed a lot to some thin squads the past three years, without the benefit of a reshirt year. Redshirting him this year to preserve his last year of eligibilty and refine his game seems like a good idea.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        It would be nice to have Mackenzie on the team in 2008 to provide some senior leadership in the Jacks' first year of tournament eligibility. He contributed a lot to some thin squads the past three years, without the benefit of a reshirt year. Redshirting him this year to preserve his last year of eligibilty and refine his game seems like a good idea.
                        It says a lot about the character of Mackenzie if he does indeed redshirt this year. Good on him!!

Comment

I apologize if this has been brought up already, but I've recently seen Payton Tivis added to the 2007 roster. Is this a recent addition, or was I completely out of the loop on this one. I did a couple of 'google' searches and he certainly draws some rave reviews.
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I'll ask Terry V.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                              I apologize if this has been brought up already, but I've recently seen Payton Tivis added to the 2007 roster. Is this a recent addition, or was I completely out of the loop on this one. I did a couple of 'google' searches and he certainly draws some rave reviews.
                              From what I understand is he played in there lowest class I am not sure if they call it class B or not but thats what it would be in South Dakota... Sounds like a kid is a scorer but other then that I don't know too much about the guy. Hopefully he can help us out in whatever way Nagy needs him to.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                                From what I understand is he played in there lowest class I am not sure if they call it class B or not but thats what it would be in South Dakota... Sounds like a kid is a scorer but other then that I don't know too much about the guy. Hopefully he can help us out in whatever way Nagy needs him to.
                                Wow, you are absolutely clueless, just throwing out opinions and babbling about things with your I heard this, that. Well from someone who lived in North Dakota for two years and familiar with western North Dakota, I can say that Class B is the smaller class in ND but by no means "lower". There are many Class B teams in ND that would be Class A in SD. Payton's team Bowman was ranked in the top ten each year but with Dickinson Trinity, who made the state finals four out of the last five years and won the title in '06, in the same region they never got out of regionals. Payton was a good player and I believe he will make all the guards at SDSU work harder at practice with his ability to shoot and drive to the basket...I guess you can call him a power guard so to speak, but I don't think his drives amongst the D1 trees will be as successful as his competition in high school.

Comment

Working...
                                X