Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2007 Roster

Originally posted by ViciousCircle View Post
    What does the number of inner city players on a team have to do with anything?

Not trying to be a jerk, just wanted a little clarification.

just pokin fun at an earlier post. read back a couple pages.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Sorry Milwaukee, I missed that. My bad.

I agree that is a much more talented team. Very young, but very talented. I think Freshman and Sophs. are going to be relied heavily upon this year in preparation for next year. I don't mean that in a this year doesn't count way, but I think coach Nagy will want his talented youngsters more than prepared next year when they officially in contention for the Summit title.

Comment

Originally posted by ViciousCircle View Post
        Sorry Milwaukee, I missed that. My bad.

No problemo. There is a saying that "sarcasm is a poor excuse for wit". Well, I use a lot of sarcasm.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

This will be the deepest team the Jacks have had since the D-I transition started. Physically the strongest, for sure. Most talented? It's too early to say. The Jacks have started at least a couple of the last four seasons with talented players, only to lose some of them to transfer, injury, off-court stuff, bad luck or some combination of factors. Holdren. Gilbert. Cadwell. Etc. I like this year's team, though. It looks good on paper.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            This will be the deepest team the Jacks have had since the D-I transition started. Physically the strongest, for sure. Most talented? It's too early to say. The Jacks have started at least a couple of the last four seasons with talented players, only to lose some of them to transfer, injury, off-court stuff, bad luck or some combination of factors. Holdren. Gilbert. Cadwell. Etc. I like this year's team, though. It looks good on paper.
            I have a lot of concerns about how we will play as a team given that this group of players hasn't had a lot of time together on the court. Coach Nagy and his staff certainly have interesting and difficult jobs.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              I have a lot of concerns about how we will play as a team given that this group of players hasn't had a lot of time together on the court. Coach Nagy and his staff certainly have interesting and difficult jobs.
              Didn't look like any problem at Midnight Minus Two last night. (Separate thread but just addressing JackMD's point). Team work looked good, passes crisp, shooting excellent. True, we need to see some real-game situations to prove that out...but looks hopeful!

Comment

I think coming together as a unit has to be the number one concern of every coach every year, and everywhere. I think we do have an advantage here in that most of our guys are very young and probably are very flexible in terms of coaching. Add a couple veterans and things can move in that direction. I dont have a problem with the Madness night, but it probably does not tell us as much as an exhibition game such as the one scheduled with Mary. Looking forward to that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  Didn't look like any problem at Midnight Minus Two last night. (Separate thread but just addressing JackMD's point). Team work looked good, passes crisp, shooting excellent. True, we need to see some real-game situations to prove that out...but looks hopeful!
                  I've spoken to several people and they share my concern. These are people much closer to the program and players than I am. If you've watched this team the last several years and don't think my concerns are legit than I'd argue you haven't watched this program very closely. Each year I've voiced caution about expectations. Call me cynical or call my realistic, thats the approach I'm taking as a fan and supporter of the program this year. I'll take it one game at a time.

As for MM, I hope they looked good and I want everyone to remain hopeful, as I am. I just want to see the product before I make an investment.

Lastly, thanks for the reports, I couldn't make it back last night.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

my thoughts after watching them last night and having a little time to let it sink in. Team wins should improve, an easier schedule and way more depth. The only questions are who is going to redshirt and how long will it take for the young guys to adjust to the college game and Nagy's system. I am going to imagine that we will have some ups and downs as the team gels and hopefully will be firing on all cylinders by the time conference play heats up.

Comment

I too am worried about this year's team coming together. We are at the end of transition, but the program is eerily (Halloween is coming) similar to each of the other years; questions as to how the players are going to play together. I know that some of the problems were completely out of the control of the coaching staff, but we still have the problems to deal with.

My expectations for this year is to see marked improvement through out the year so that a strong foundation is built for next year to help with recruiting.

Problem is that I thought the same thing four years ago.

I hope that I am wrong.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Lot of ways to look at things. The glass is either half full or half empty and both are okay.

I'm a half full guy myself. What I know from being around the program is that the team has come together and worked very hard in the off season to get themselves better prepared for the season. Many of these men have put on some serious muscle. They have all worked very hard together and I believe that will pay some big dividends when the season starts. Also, Ben Beran will be a bigtime leader for this team!

Whether you are an eternal optimist or like to be cautiously pecimistic, I think at the end of the season everyone will be pleasantly suprised by the progress of the team. Barring any......well, let's just not go there!

Can't wait for the season to start!

GO JACKS!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

First of all Mary is a real game DWU is an exibition.... This team isn't gonna be great but if they improve retain the freshman and sophomore's this team could be something the following couple of years..... This team has a lot of what I call band-aids on the team guys that know how to play help the team a lot but are not D-I talent..... The freshman and sophomores at least a majority of them appear to be D-I talent and I think the key to this year is to mature them and to see how they grow.... I hope the seniors who may not be D-I talent but are good smart basketball players show the younger kids how to handle them selfs and how to play smart.....

Comment

A big concern I have is who scores for this year's team? We didn't exactly light it up last year. Who carries the load for scoring on this team?

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                              A big concern I have is who scores for this year's team? We didn't exactly light it up last year. Who carries the load for scoring on this team?
                              Kai Williams. Others may step up at times, but they'll look to him to hopefully be as consistent as possible. Ben will likely be in the mix as well. Others will step up, but hopefully these two can score consistently and often.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
                                Kai Williams. Others may step up at times, but they'll look to him to hopefully be as consistent as possible. Ben will likely be in the mix as well. Others will step up, but hopefully these two can score consistently and often.
                                So, key on Kai. Who steps up? We are going to need some guys to really come strong this year. I don't think Ben can be your primary scorer and be most effective. I think MJA's concerns are legitimate. Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X