Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2007 Roster

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    So, key on Kai. Who steps up? We are going to need some guys to really come strong this year. I don't think Ben can be your primary scorer and be most effective. I think MJA's concerns are legitimate. Time will tell.
    Last year, Cadwell was the "go to guy" but dropped into oblivion, because they basically doubleteamed him at times (because we didn't have any post presence -- no knock on Michael who wasn't playing in position).

This year we have good post presence (and Ben CAN do what we need, including score...I was in Rupp Arena and saw him score 26 points against UK and tear them up inside...don't tell me he can't do it...and I think he will be even better this year) and some depth there, and I think we will see a number of people stepping up, including Callahan and Loney, who won't have to play the post. Additionally, several of the new players could fill in well enough that no team is going to be able to just key on Kai IMHO. Palarca looks to me like he could move into the point before many games go by as well.

That may not work against all teams (including the top ones), but I think we will see some good balanced scoring in a lot of games, with Kai ranking #1.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      So, key on Kai. Who steps up? We are going to need some guys to really come strong this year. I don't think Ben can be your primary scorer and be most effective. I think MJA's concerns are legitimate. Time will tell.
      I do agree with you on that. But I also think this team is better than last year so hopefully that will take more pressure off of Kai and Ben (or whoever else) to score. I think Ben has the ability to score, as stated by Jacks Fan #1. But again, you're right. Only time will tell. But you have to admit that this team is better than last year (at least on paper). Cadwell would have looked good in the 2 spot next to Kai though.

Also, I think Nagy needs some guys to step up for his sake as well.

Comment

I think this years team in general will make it possible for Kai to put up big numbers last year Kai put up numbers because people were double teaming Cadwell but again there was little to no post presence and in general the guys were dead from playing 40 minutes a game day in and day out..... this year with Palarca at the point will allow Garrett to play the 2 and with actual post presence Kai won't see double teams and if teams double team him the rest will eat it up.... I think the main question with this team will be its defense.... Mo should help but the rest I wonder about.

Comment

Have to agree that this years team will have a lot more options than last year. Kai is a human mismatch that can play 2, 3, or 4 which makes him very tough to key on. Ben will definitely put some good numbers up and Mo has the ability to. The supporting cast is also improved with everyone having a year under their belt.

It is going to be fun to watch this team compete!

GO JACKS!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Intensity. That's what I'm looking for in our team. A team like ours needs to make up for any talent deficiencies and/or experience deficiencies by out-hustling and out-working our opponents. The lack of intensity has been a negative many times for our mens' teams in the last couple of seasons. Specifically, the two most oft cited candidates for who will shoulder our scoring load this season, Kai and Beran, have both been criticized for a lack of intensity at various times. Will our intensity pick up? Can we win some games by purely out-working another team? Talent will only carry you so far. The ability to handle adversity and handle the wear of a long season and all the trials and tribulations are what make a team. I'd like to see something like that come through sooner than anything else.

If you look at other programs at SDSU, I think the football team would be a good comparison. It's easy to root for them because they show heart the entire game. They may not always win and are currently a disappointing 2-4, but it is still easy to believe in them...because they try extremely hard every minute of every game. Any casual fan can see that. I'm not sure you could say that about the mens basketball team in the last couple of years.

Some may say this is a pessimistic post. I mean it to be just the opposite. I'll take a team that only wins 8-10 games this season as long as they show me they're working their butts off from start to finish. That sort of play is infectuous and leads to good things. I'm waiting for that sort of team to return to SDSU mens basketball and will watch every game possible hoping to see it.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
              Intensity. That's what I'm looking for in our team. A team like ours needs to make up for any talent deficiencies and/or experience deficiencies by out-hustling and out-working our opponents. The lack of intensity has been a negative many times for our mens' teams in the last couple of seasons. Specifically, the two most oft cited candidates for who will shoulder our scoring load this season, Kai and Beran, have both been criticized for a lack of intensity at various times. Will our intensity pick up? Can we win some games by purely out-working another team? Talent will only carry you so far. The ability to handle adversity and handle the wear of a long season and all the trials and tribulations are what make a team. I'd like to see something like that come through sooner than anything else.

If you look at other programs at SDSU, I think the football team would be a good comparison. It's easy to root for them because they show heart the entire game. They may not always win and are currently a disappointing 2-4, but it is still easy to believe in them...because they try extremely hard every minute of every game. Any casual fan can see that. I'm not sure you could say that about the mens basketball team in the last couple of years.

Some may say this is a pessimistic post. I mean it to be just the opposite. I'll take a team that only wins 8-10 games this season as long as they show me they're working their butts off from start to finish. That sort of play is infectuous and leads to good things. I'm waiting for that sort of team to return to SDSU mens basketball and will watch every game possible hoping to see it.
              Amen, bring me a Stoebner or Estling attitude for this team. I haven't really seen that the last couple of years. Several reasons for that. I am certain that this team will be improved but I don't know how much.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post

I have heard people in the know compare Beran to a non-traditional student. He's back and much more mature and ready to lead, with the understanding that this is his last chance to play so he wants to give it everything he's got. Everything I have heard about his influence on and within the team is positive.

I have heard similar things about Berte. Senior leadership and maturity should be a big factor in picking up the intensity level this year.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  I have heard people in the know compare Beran to a non-traditional student. He's back and much more mature and ready to lead, with the understanding that this is his last chance to play so he wants to give it everything he's got. Everything I have heard about his influence on and within the team is positive.

I have heard similar things about Berte. Senior leadership and maturity should be a big factor in picking up the intensity level this year.
                  That's good to hear. I am really chomping at the bit to dive head first into believing in this team. Crazy as it sounds, I'd like to have my heart torn out on a couple losses where we fought like he11 against a better team only to have a valient effort come up short at the end. I wouldn't mind moping around the house for a couple days like I did when we lost to GSU in football.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Highlights from a speech by Coach Nagy:
                    It sounds like Palarca is likely to start and Sargent is competing for a starting spot.
                    One or two players, including Casey, might redshirt.
                    Beran has bulked up from 205 to 240.
                    Moss has a 38-inch verticle jump, the highest of Nagy's years at SDSU.
                    Cordova is expected to start next year.
                    Although Cassaday sprained an ankle, the early days of team practice have gone well.
                    SDSU is picked to finish last in the league, but Nagy says that won't be the case. This team is going to "knock some people around" and compete, he says.
                    He's upbeat.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      Highlights from a speech by Coach Nagy:
                      It sounds like Palarca is likely to start and Sargent is competing for a starting spot.
                      One or two players, including Casey, might redshirt.
                      Beran has bulked up from 205 to 240.
                      Moss has a 38-inch verticle jump, the highest of Nagy's years at SDSU.
                      Cordova is expected to start next year.
                      Although Cassaday sprained an ankle, the early days of team practice have gone well.
                      SDSU is picked to finish last in the league, but Nagy says that won't be the case. This team is going to "knock some people around" and compete, he says.
                      He's upbeat.
                      I figure that this is what I am looking at
                      1. Palarca 1. Callahan
                      2. Callahan 2. Sargent
                      3. Williams 3. Moss
                      4. Beran 4. Cassady
                      5. Berte 5. Cordova

Others
                      Engen, Thomas, Deboer, Casey

Looks like with Sargent, Moss, and Cassady that those 3 are highly athletic something that SDSU hasn't had in the past at that level.... Palarca looks like a gem that we picked up late a gamble that paid off big time.... Kai and Garrett will get a lot of open looks with the post presence that is there this year....

Comment

Ever heard of Michael Loney. I believe he will be playing also.

Comment

Regarding joeboo's theory:
                          Moss needs to spend very little time at the small forward spot, and Cordova better spend a similar amount of time at center. Moss is a guard. Cordova is a forward. We heard about his ability to transition to the "3" spot when he was recruited, even though he played with his back to the basket in high school. While I know there are exceptions, it is mostly a fact that 6'6" centers and 6'4" forwards will not win you many games. We brought these men in to be a guard and a forward. That is where Coach Nagy will play them, unless it is a very rare situation.

Comment

More depth than in the past and being picked last in the Summit gives them no were else to go but up. I really dont believe in building the depth chart. Should that not be Coach Nagy's job?

Comment

Where did you see that the Jacks were picked last in The Summitt League?

Love that! This program has hit rock bottom and is going to start climbing back up the hill this year. Getting picked last is just another motivation for this guys to go out and play hard.

Can't wait for things to get started!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
                                Regarding joeboo's theory:
                                Moss needs to spend very little time at the small forward spot, and Cordova better spend a similar amount of time at center. Moss is a guard. Cordova is a forward. We heard about his ability to transition to the "3" spot when he was recruited, even though he played with his back to the basket in high school. While I know there are exceptions, it is mostly a fact that 6'6" centers and 6'4" forwards will not win you many games. We brought these men in to be a guard and a forward. That is where Coach Nagy will play them, unless it is a very rare situation.
                                Let me fix it....
                                Palarca... PG
                                Callahan SG, PG
                                Moss SG,SF
                                Sergent SG,SF
                                Cassady, SF, SG
                                Looney PF, C---- forgot him
                                Berte C
                                Beran PF, C
                                Cordova, PF, C, SF
                                Engen C, PF
                                Basset, SF,PF
                                Deboer, PF, SF
                                Casey, PG
                                Williams, SF, SG, PF

When I say putting Moss at the 3 doesn't mean him playing down low i mean him matching up against there 3 which would be a big mismatch....
                                I think the starting lineup will look like this
                                PG. Palarca/Callahan
                                SG. Callahan/Sergent/Moss
                                SF. Kai/Cassady
                                PF. Beran
                                C. Berte

When it comes to post players I think it will depend on who they are playing.... if SDSU is playing a big team Engen might see more time other wise I think Cordova and Looney will be the best options off of the bench....

Comment

Working...
                                X