X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008-09 Recruits

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    From my calculations, we are done recruiting through 2010 unless something changes within the team personnel.

2007-2008 Season:
    12 players on scholarship (We lose three to graduation)

2008-2009 Season:
    11 players on scholarship (We add Radar and Davis)

2009-2010 Season:
    13 players on scholarship (We add White and Fiegan)

Based on this, we would have two extra scholarships next season. However, due to the fact that we have received verbals from White and Fiegan and we don't graduate anybody after 08-09 we would need to hold onto those scholarships to give to the two Madison standouts. Unless we find somebody to play next year on scholarshp and then leave, it looks to me as if we are done for a few years. If all holds true, we should have five scholarships to give out in 2010 (Davis, Bassett, Callahan, Engen, and Williams)
    That's what I thought. Unless we offer a scholarship for next year only...or something changes as far as personnel.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      Has anybody talked to Garret or somebody close to the situation to know if this is indeed true?
      From what I have heard, I'm fairly sure it is true. Should be at SDSU starting Spring 08.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
        From what I have heard, I'm fairly sure it is true. Should be at SDSU starting Spring 08.
        If this is true he wouldn't be eligible to play until the spring semester 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          If this is true he wouldn't be eligible to play until the spring semester 2009.
          I think that applies only if he's on scholarship. Someone who knows more could probably correct me if I'm wrong.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
            I think that applies only if he's on scholarship. Someone who knows more could probably correct me if I'm wrong.
            NCAA transfer rules don't differ based on if the athlete is on scholarship or not.

Comment

Although it is rare, I don't think a kid has to sit out if moving up to DI. I am pretty sure it is the same as moving down. I seem to remember a kid at UNO who went to Iowa State, and I do not think he sat out at all. For that matter, DeBoer and Wipf did not have to sit out, although they came from NAIA schools.

Comment

The general rule appears to be the following: If you're currently in a four-year school (DIII, DII or DI) and you transfer to a DI school, you have to sit out a year. There are some exceptions -- did Wipf and DeBoer fit some exception?

See page 20 of the following NCAA manual.
                http://www.ncaa.org/library/general/...sfer_guide.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  The general rule appears to be the following: If you're currently in a four-year school (DIII, DII or DI) and you transfer to a DI school, you have to sit out a year. There are some exceptions -- did Wipf and DeBoer fit some exception?

DeBoer is ineligible until January because of that. Wipf just walked on I think.

Comment

The exception might exist because he is/was red shirting at UND so if he continues to redshirt he may be able to play right away I really don't know.... if this is true Gojacks should catch wind of it after break sometime which would allow for Nagy to comment about it when the time is right then I think we will know what the circumstances are over the situation....

Comment

The exception might exist because he is/was red shirting at UND so if he continues to redshirt he may be able to play right away I really don't know.... if this is true Gojacks should catch wind of it after break sometime which would allow for Nagy to comment about it when the time is right then I think we will know what the circumstances are over the situation....
                      No...there are no exceptions, including for red-shirts, as JackJD explained in his post:

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

Comment

There are SOME exceptions I really don't know what the situation is and what I am getting to is until Nagy or the coaching staff comments on it nobody will really know what the situation is forsure though it looks like he would be able to play second semester next year.......

Its the NCAA there is rules and sub rules and exceptions and so on.... I'm just saying that until the coaches comment who knows.....
                        Last edited by joeboo22; 12-19-2007, 03:41 PM.

Comment

There are SOME exceptions I really don't know what the situation is and what I am getting to is until Nagy or the coaching staff comments on it nobody will really know what the situation is forsure though it looks like he would be able to play second semester next year.......

Its the NCAA there is rules and sub rules and exceptions and so on.... I'm just saying that until the coaches comment who knows.....
                          Coaches can't comment until after the recruit signs on the dotted line.
                          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                            Coaches can't comment until after the recruit signs on the dotted line.
                            or enrolls because he most likely will be a walk on......

Comment

I would assume that he signed a letter of intent when he chose his school. If that is the case, he will have to sit for a full year unless they grant him a full release. I always thought that these were NCAA rules but I have come to discover that the rules are actually those of the National Letter of Intent member schools. So, if a school uses NL of Intent, it doesn't matter if they are DI or DII, the rules apply. Here is the website with all of the info and it's nice because you won't even need JackJD to decipher it for you.
                              http://www.national-letter.org/faq/

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                                I would assume that he signed a letter of intent when he chose his school. If that is the case, he will have to sit for a full year unless they grant him a full release. I always thought that these were NCAA rules but I have come to discover that the rules are actually those of the National Letter of Intent member schools. So, if a school uses NL of Intent, it doesn't matter if they are DI or DII, the rules apply. Here is the website with all of the info and it's nice because you won't even need JackJD to decipher it for you.
                                http://www.national-letter.org/faq/
                                If he walks on, he wouldn't need to sign a letter of intent, from what I understand. None of the guys who walked on the football team when I played had to sign anything. They just got a spot on the team and started practicing...I think. That's what lead to my original comment. I'm far from an expert in trasfer rules, but I thought a walk on was able to transfer without losing eligibility. Again, I have only my clouded brain to cite as a source for this. But, when dealing with a non-scholarship player, I think the transfer rules are different.
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X