Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

My thoughts:

Offer the kid early before he can start playing again and get a jump on/gain an advantage in the recruiting process over other potential suiters. If his knee problems are fixed with his recent surgery we may have found a diamond in the rough, if his knee is still bad to the point he can't play anymore, then Jacks can do what they did with Davis and move him to an athletic scholarship (as opposed to a basketball scholarship, which counts towards the 13 scholarship limit). Even if it takes a couple years to figure out whether or not he will be healthy enough to play, it really shouldn't hinder us, because we'd still have 4 scholarships available for the 2011 class.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      I'm really surprised that the discussion has lasted so long, without someone using the tried & perfected dicussion killer, "I trust our coaching staff to evaluate recruits and select the best possible recruit"News flash,so's everybody else probably on this board.But, what's that got to do with discussing the merits of someone , in a discussion board no less?No ones going to want to seem to contradict the quote above, so all "discussion" dies as a result of one person arbitrarily deciding that enough has been said.Ya, sometimes the discussion goes on too long & is pointless,but, i just wanted to point out that certain phrases alway's kill discussion.You probably all knew anyway.
      Welll.....
      Anyone talked to any coaches from Red Wing? I have.

Comment

I'd like to see how he'd do against Sampson 3rd & Colton Iverson,or Benson.What's he got to jump to dunk it ,a foot maybe,that shouldn't be too hard on the knees.I don't think anyone really expects him to take off from the free throw line & slam one down.I don't think anyone would compare him to AIR Jordan.
        To clarify, I meant explosive to just to get the rim, not to throw one down from 5 feet above the rim. or to be able to be aggressive, b e agressive. Sorry lame joke. Back to the point. He has range, thats awesome, Height will help keep the guards from trying to get in as much, but hopefully he would be able to move to get a better shot then Engen who could get blocked by someone shorter. Thats all I want him to be able to do is get to rim and be effect. Well I guess that goes for everyone for that matter.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          To clarify, I meant explosive to just to get the rim, not to throw one down from 5 feet above the rim. or to be able to be aggressive, b e agressive. Sorry lame joke. Back to the point. He has range, thats awesome, Height will help keep the guards from trying to get in as much, but hopefully he would be able to move to get a better shot then Engen who could get blocked by someone shorter. Thats all I want him to be able to do is get to rim and be effect. Well I guess that goes for everyone for that matter.
          I know what you are saying,that making moves to the hoop when you're the only one on the court is different than a game situation when you have nine other people on the court cluttering up passing lanes etc.It's definately harder to do in a game,but you can see he's got mobility to be able to get to the hoop.No one gets to the hoop all the time,even the best get cut off & have to kick it back out sometimes.Big guys need room to maneuver because they have such a large stance, take long strides,that's where agility & athleticism makes the difference, they can adapt & maneuver in a much smaller space and they can explode with a move so fast as to catch a defender completly off gaurd or unable to react to cut him off.That ability is very rare,only a few are blessed with that kind of ability.Here's an example:
          http://www.hoosierscout.net/2010/05/...ontent=Twitter
          a little deceptive shoni schimmel type pass around :52

Comment

I know what you are saying,that making moves to the hoop when you're the only one on the court is different than a game situation when you have nine other people on the court cluttering up passing lanes etc.It's definately harder to do in a game,but you can see he's got mobility to be able to get to the hoop.No one gets to the hoop all the time,even the best get cut off & have to kick it back out sometimes.Big guys need room to maneuver because they have such a large stance, take long strides,that's where agility & athleticism makes the difference, they can adapt & maneuver in a much smaller space and they can explode with a move so fast as to catch a defender completly off gaurd or unable to react to cut him off.That ability is very rare,only a few are blessed with that kind of ability.Here's an example:
            http://www.hoosierscout.net/2010/05/...ontent=Twitter
            a little deceptive shoni schimmel type pass around :52
            I agree, His ball handeling was impressive enough for me considering his height. I can guess really that many bigs would still have trouble doing that even just against the orange cones. He can shoot the open 3, which I would assume his height he can pretty much get an open 3 with a smaller person playing D. All in all, I would really like to see him in yellow and blue.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
              It did appear that this young man can handle the ball. But, I did not see a single orange cone jump out and play defense. Nearly every young man or lady can dribble the ball between their legs going around orange cones.

He shoots the ball well but again with no one defending him. Would he be worth giving an opportunity somewhere? Yes. I however do not believe that Coach Nagy is in any position to make a major mistake. The Jacks need a proven commodity. I've heard it said that hope is not a good strategy in any game plan.

The Jacks do need a big man - NOW.

GBGBGJ
              I don't see him bringing the ball up the court but I don't see many 7 footers play full court defense either. I'd like to see their big guy try to steal the ball. He'd probably get some stupid reaching foul.
              If a PG guards him bringing the ball up the court, our PG should be open. I see him as a match-up problem. I'm not a huge fan of the big guy shooting a ton of 3's but if he can hit them, it should open the lane up a lot(our women's team). I think he'd only need a dribble or two once the ball gets to the offensive end. It looks like he can handle that.
              I'm also curious to know what you consider a "major mistake"? Is it somebody who takes 2-3 years to contribute? Mark Engen didn't play much until he was a senior, was he a major mistake? I hope you don't think I'm putting you on the spot but I think he'll get some PT. I just don't know how early he'll get it. I know you want a sure thing but with the extra scholarship, I don't think it will be too bad of a reach.
              Last edited by 91jack; 06-01-2010, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                I don't see him bringing the ball up the court but I don't see many 7 footers play full court defense either. I'd like to see their big guy try to steal the ball. He'd probably get some stupid reaching foul.
                If a PG guards him bringing the ball up the court, our PG should be open. I see him as a match-up problem. I'm not a huge fan of the big guy shooting a ton of 3's but if he can hit them, it should open the lane up a lot(our women's team).
                I think he'd only need a dribble or to once the ball gets to the offensive end. It looks like he can handle that.
                What seemed to stand out to me is his knee bend and getting low with out bending over. many bigs seem to struggle with that. I know years ago with some posts, I would hope they would get low on the block and hope to catch the ball there with out having to dribble or do to much. If he has good body control which it appears he does, that will only be an asset to what roles he can take and how he can help the team. Run a pick and pop for him would create some big match up problems the way I see it.

Comment

He seems to have a nice outside shot, but it looks to me like it takes him a little longer than normal to release the ball. In D1, being able to have a quick release is a very important asset.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Anyone....and I mean anyone with a lick of talent is going to look pretty good playing in front of orange cones. Is he worth getting...I'll leave that up to the coaches. Is he worth several pages on a thread....ahh, screw it....this thread is already 1,078,258 pages long.
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                      what you consider a "major mistake"?Is it somebody who takes 2-3 years to contribute? Mark Engen didn't play much until he was a senior, was he a major mistake?
                      You need to remember that if you look throughout all of D1 basketball, it takes MOST players 2-3 years to contribute. Of course, that depends on what your definition of contribute is. Yes, players come in and contribute in a big way right off the bat, but that's not the norm. But to think a player is a major mistake because they don't contribute until they are a sophomore or a junior is not a realistic way of thinking at all. (I know you asked the question 91jack and didn't say you thought this way)

To me, a major mistake is someone who comes in to the program and hurts the program/school by doing something that is absolutely wrong. If they have a good attitude, represent the program and school the right way, work their tail off, then things happen the way they are supposed to happen.

Comment

Looks like a project at best to me. Slow release, no vertical, foot work and body control on post moves is nowhere near where it needs to be. Doesn't mean we can't take a shot on him just means he'll be an ongoing project likely to see limited playing time down the road. Add the injury issue to the equation and you have a lot of variables. I'll leave it up to the experts to decide.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          Looks like a project at best to me. Slow release, no vertical, foot work and body control on post moves is nowhere near where it needs to be.
                          Kinda what I was thinkin' also...
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                            Kinda what I was thinkin' also...
                            Remember, there have been several other guys similar to this that have paid a dividend. Mark Engen would be the most recent. I'm not saying he isn't right for an offer I'm just saying I'm not the one to speculate. Looks can be deceiving. To me he doesn't look like an immediate impact player and he does look like a project big man, as they say.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have no idea on what to think about this kid.

However, we should only be recruiting kids who can come in and score 20 points and grab 10 rebounds per game as true freshman. Obviously, those are the only kinds of players who can help the program.

By my calculations, we would score about 240 points per game and other teams would never score second chance points.

I think it is important for folks to remember that every single player on the SDSU roster can play basketball. Not every player is good enough to garner regular playing time. The same could be said for pretty much every DI roster in the country.

Just because a kid doesn't play minutes doesn't mean he isn't worthy of a roster spot. All 12 guys can't average 30 minutes per game, and they can't average 20 points. However, they should all be able to contribute. And I think all our players do contribute. If you don't believe me, stop by a practice sometime next fall.

With all that being said, I trust the coaches to determine whether or not this kid (or any other) can contribute.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Does anyone know if Marcus Heimstra is going to be on campus this summer or is he playing baseball?

Comment

Working...
                                X