Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post

Rest is exactly what’s needed.

Nater and Mike had some great teams and yes, to take Maryland to a one score game was impressive. That said, team wise, top 5-6 guys on the team(regardless of who’s playing) I think this years team, team is the best. They play like a team, complete. Honestly I’d take Baylor, Douglas and likely Zeke over Mike, George and Deondre. Blasphemous, I know.

NO!! not blasphemus at all in my perspective!! while i disagree, i respect your opinion and i VERY MUCH enjoy the debate

are we in agreement that Daum is clearly the best of this bunch? at this point Zeke has to be the last out of this group of 6 but hopefully before he is done he proves to be number one)) rating the other four i think is pretty tough Doug has played a few more games now than george and deondre. unfortunately all three of them had some trouble with injuries

doug, baylor, george, deondre i feel like i am flipping a coin. if someone told me i had to rate them 1-4, at this moment i do not have an answer what that order would be. i guess if they were playing two on two i would give the edge to doug and baylor because of the size difference but that is not exactly the same as rating them as part of a team of 5

anyway, very interesting conversation, in my mind. i could keep rambling about this almost endlessly probably but i have kind of tried to do that before. i will let it go for now, but would love to hear what others say. maybe that is another thread but we will see what happens

Comment

i will also say that at this moment i would take Alex over Zeke. i think this illustrates how underrated Alex is. again, we will see what Zeke becomes, but at this moment i think Alex would be my choice

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
        Wilson took a nasty fall on his back. It was probably best to not put him back in the game and risk him not being available for the next UND game (and this is me hoping he is playing). That undercut was very cheap.

The team needs to stay healthy if we are only going to have 8 play for the majority of the game. Any injury is huge so hope the guys can stay healthy.
        after watching it yesterday morning again, i didnt think it was a flagrant.

Comment

Thought I would list Average Minutes Per Game this season for reference (Conference Play Only). Only looked up main 8 rotation players.

Scheierman--32.9 (33.1)
          Arians--26.4 (28.2)
          Mayo--25.1 (30.8)
          Wilson--23.0 (23.1)
          Easley--22.9 (24.5)
          Appel--16.6 (18.2)
          Dentlinger--16.6 (17.5)
          Mims--14.7 (19.9)

Yes a 9 man rotation would be great but I am perfectly fine with this rotation as of now & come tournament time would expect the top 5 or 6 to play more minutes per game. Only Scheierman, Arians & Mayo are in top 25 in minutes played during conference play. Also most weeks they get plenty of rest between games with games being on Thursday & Saturday. And I am not worried about injuries as all teams have to worry about them and overcome them.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post

after watching it yesterday morning again, i didnt think it was a flagrant.
            yep i agree. i actually was in agreement with newitt on this one. YES it sucks that it was doug and the fact that somehow he always misses time against the bison could bring out the conspiracy theorist in me, but barring my or anyone else irrational superstitions or conspiracy theories, it seemed pretty innocent

one of Doug's great skills is how fast he gets off of his feet and i thought he kind of went up before nelson really reacted. nelson just continued his tardy reaction and the fall was the result. we may not like how physical ndsu is but i have never seen any evidence to make me think that coach richman would encourage or tolerate dirty play. and hendo has WAY TOO MUCH respect for him, for me to believe that he would

again the thing that really made this bad is that it was doug and he has so much injury history, especially at the end of the year((( IF IT HAD NOT been Doug, i am not sure anything more would have come of it. he actually landed mostly on his hands and NOT at all on his back or hip. unfortunately simply his nagging back problem was aggravated by the hard landing

i DID think that the officials almost tried to even things up for the flagrant and called a couple invisible calls on the jacks. which resulted in us having neither of wilson or appel at the end of the game. and of course Newitt thought those calls against the jacks made PERFECT sense.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsurabbit View Post
              Thought I would list Average Minutes Per Game this season for reference (Conference Play Only). Only looked up main 8 rotation players.

Scheierman--32.9 (33.1)
              Arians--26.4 (28.2)
              Mayo--25.1 (30.8)
              Wilson--23.0 (23.1)
              Easley--22.9 (24.5)
              Appel--16.6 (18.2)
              Dentlinger--16.6 (17.5)
              Mims--14.7 (19.9)

Yes a 9 man rotation would be great but I am perfectly fine with this rotation as of now & come tournament time would expect the top 5 or 6 to play more minutes per game. Only Scheierman, Arians & Mayo are in top 25 in minutes played during conference play. Also most weeks they get plenty of rest between games with games being on Thursday & Saturday. And I am not worried about injuries as all teams have to worry about them and overcome them.
              Looked up for the starters minutes from two of the best Jacks teams of the last decade. 2012/13 : Wolters - 38.1 , Carlson - 34.6, Dykstra - 32.5 , Fiegen - 31.9 and White - 31.5. And 2019/20 : Flatten - 36.5 , Daum - 33.3 , Jenkins - 33.0 , King - 31.5 and Arians - 28.8.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsurabbit View Post

Scheierman--32.9 (33.1)
                Arians--26.4 (28.2)
                Mayo--25.1 (30.8)
                Wilson--23.0 (23.1)
                Easley--22.9 (24.5)
                Appel--16.6 (18.2)
                Dentlinger--16.6 (17.5)
                Mims--14.7 (19.9)

dont remember which thread but i had referenced this previously. it seems to me that this EVIDENCE shows that our coaches are doing a VERY GOOD job of distributing minutes. i think it is probably possible to sit baylor for maybe a couple more minutes a game. it does seem that he is a little bit of hendo's security blanket. but NDSU, USD, and WIU all have two players playing significantly more minutes than baylor. ok sorry, NDSU has two playing more and one playing significantly more

also 4 teams have at least 3 players in the top 20 in minutes, while we have ONE. i looked at two different stats and i did not see Mayo listed in the top 25 in minutes played but it is not hard to believe that he is playing minutes very similar to AA. from what i saw, however, we have ONLY ONE player in top 20 and two in top 25

it seems like some think the answer to the injury problem is to try to give 5 minutes a game to players 9 - 11 or 12. if we lose wilson or baylor or AA or Zeke, NOBODY is going to replace them. if we had an equal replacement sitting on the bench, then that player would NOT be sitting on the bench. they would be in the rotation. we already have the best 3 man rotation of post players in the conference. and i actually think if Appel or Dent was lost that Fiegen might be able to step into 6-10 minutes a game without hurting us terrible. he probably would not score like Appel but i do not think he would kill us. he CAN NOT, however replace Doug

as has been pointed out before, baylor and AA can hold their own in the post, so they would get some of the minutes. that would lead to more time at guard for charley and mims who can obviously do a very solid job

we also have an excellent 5 guard rotation. hopefully it will be 6 again at some point this year, but i am not talking more about that, and if we go the rest of the way with the guards we have LOTS of teams would be beyond thrilled with that.

anyway i DO NOT see ANY argument that hendo and the coaches are doing a poor job of managing minutes. our top 5 are playing a LOT less minutes than the top 5 for any other team, except maybe ORU. and yes we have a star playing over 32 mintues a game, but i think that is pretty normal nationwide. within our conference he is playing significantly less minutes than most any other team top guy. he is about 4.5 minutes less than abmas and i think about 3 minutes less than top guy for ndsu and usd

if guys get hurt there is not a lot you can do. hopefully we are due for SEVERAL years with no key injuries

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

yep i agree. i actually was in agreement with newitt on this one. YES it sucks that it was doug and the fact that somehow he always misses time against the bison could bring out the conspiracy theorist in me, but barring my or anyone else irrational superstitions or conspiracy theories, it seemed pretty innocent

one of Doug's great skills is how fast he gets off of his feet and i thought he kind of went up before nelson really reacted. nelson just continued his tardy reaction and the fall was the result. we may not like how physical ndsu is but i have never seen any evidence to make me think that coach richman would encourage or tolerate dirty play. and hendo has WAY TOO MUCH respect for him, for me to believe that he would

again the thing that really made this bad is that it was doug and he has so much injury history, especially at the end of the year((( IF IT HAD NOT been Doug, i am not sure anything more would have come of it. he actually landed mostly on his hands and NOT at all on his back or hip. unfortunately simply his nagging back problem was aggravated by the hard landing

i DID think that the officials almost tried to even things up for the flagrant and called a couple invisible calls on the jacks. which resulted in us having neither of wilson or appel at the end of the game. and of course Newitt thought those calls against the jacks made PERFECT sense.
                  I guess I see this play as being similar to some targeting calls in football. Making it a flagrant foul doesn't mean Nelson is a "dirty player" or that it's necessarily indicative of Richman's game strategy, although data suggest they don't have an aversion to fouling

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I guess I see this play as being similar to some targeting calls in football. Making it a flagrant foul doesn't mean Nelson is a "dirty player" or that it's necessarily indicative of Richman's game strategy, although data suggest they don't have an aversion to fouling
                    i absolutely agree with the spirit of your comment. saying someone did NOT TRY to do something does not mean it is not a foul. otherwise, OF COURSE, there would be very few fouls. and how in the world would officials assess intent/ trying to or not??

but just as i do NOT think targeting should be called if the offensive player lowers himself, i am not sure that what happened here was flagrant. i feel like doug was perhaps as guilty of leaving the ground from a bad position and trying to manuever around nelson as nelson was guilty of trying to displace him from going up and coming down safely.

anyway, at the very least, i think it was a really tough call to make and had it not been called flagrant i do not feel like it would have been worth being upset about

i appreciate the discussion, as well as your different perspective

Comment

Working...
                    X