No announcement yet.

GDT: Bison vs Jackrabbits 2pm Frost Arena ESPN+/Midco2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, sorry for poking a hornets nest…I’ll freely admit the only thing that concerns me right now is the possibility of team depth/exhaustion come Summit time. A fact that can be argued after the last couple tourney losses.

Hendo is coaching has been and continues to his tail off, so I’ll cross my fingers that these tires have enough tread to get through the Summit…cause honestly if this team hits a hot streak in the Dance there could be a couple wins there as well. Hot shooting and the way these guys move the ball is as impressive as any Jacks team I’ve watched.

Comment

I agree that it's amazing - and encouraging - that the Jacks beat a top Summit contender while shooting 8 percent from three-point land. Tough game against a team that's bigger at nearly every position than the Jacks. Bigger but not tougher.
      This space for lease.

Comment

A few questions and observations:
        Did Easley get hurt? He went out and didn't play the last 10 or 12 minutes of the game. I hope he's OK.
        I wonder what Wilson's status will be. He took a really hard fall on that flagrant and appeared to reaggravate his back. He made two free throws after the fall, then had a hard time limping off the court. I'd be surprised if he's available on Monday night against UND. Hopefully he'll be back for the USD game on Saturday.
        Mayo struggled for perhaps the first game of the year. Dentlinger, Appel and Mims made strong contributions. And, as usual, Scheierman put the team on his back in crunch time.
        This space for lease.

Comment

My friends and I play city league basketball. Playing 25 minute halves and 8 guys is perfect for rotation.

Not going to second guess what Hendo is doing. This is the most exciting team I have ever watched with the Jacks.
          It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Comment

There is a big difference between an 8 man rotation where 6,7 and 8 play 15-20 minutes vs one where they play 5-10.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              There is a big difference between an 8 man rotation where 6,7 and 8 play 15-20 minutes vs one where they play 5-10.
              And there is a HUGE difference between City League and D1 basketball. Granted there’s a huge difference between athletes as well but playing 38 min 2 days after another game and 2 days before the next…crazy. My single biggest concern is losing Baylor, plain and simple. The way Baylor goes is how this team goes. He is the one player we can’t afford to lose…plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post

And there is a HUGE difference between City League and D1 basketball. Granted there’s a huge difference between athletes as well but playing 38 min 2 days after another game and 2 days before the next…crazy. My single biggest concern is losing Baylor, plain and simple. The way Baylor goes is how this team goes. He is the one player we can’t afford to lose…plain and simple.
                The bison have illustrated your fears this week as they played Tuesday against STU, Thursday was an OT game in Vermillion, and another physical game in Brookings with basically a 7 man rotation. (They also played ORU the Saturday before.) They did play Tuesday with only 8 minutes from Nelson who fouled out in his first game back. (The Nagy days even tightened up the rotation to include only 6 players.) The concern for injury has been experienced by the Jackrabbits for too many consecutive years, but to use that as an injury/exhaustion argument for other discussions seem mighty weak. The coaches will need to cross the exhaustion/injury bridge when it happens if it happens. For the time being, we enjoy the fast paced game played by the 8 man rotation Jackrabbits.. The what if thoughts seem to be a pessimistic & tiring trail that is ignoring the success.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The threat of potential injury to a key player kind of “is what it is”.

Schiereman, Griesel, and Abmas all play big minutes and even bigger roles on championship-level teams. If one of them gets injured their team would need an absolute miracle to somehow win three in Sioux Falls.

I’m guessing that the topic of a short rotation will be an annual thing here on the forum for as long as we’re fortunate to have Hendo. At the rate he’s going that probably won’t be much longer. The guy is 32-6 in Summit games. His phone will probably be ringing this off-season regardless of what happens in March.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                    The threat of potential injury to a key player kind of “is what it is”.

Schiereman, Griesel, and Abmas all play big minutes and even bigger roles on championship-level teams. If one of them gets injured their team would need an absolute miracle to somehow win three in Sioux Falls.

I’m guessing that the topic of a short rotation will be an annual thing here on the forum for as long as we’re fortunate to have Hendo. At the rate he’s going that probably won’t be much longer. The guy is 32-6 in Summit games. His phone will probably be ringing this off-season regardless of what happens in March.
                    Hendo’s phone will be ringing…because of his success and personality and ability to coach the team concept. Some things(team concept & personality) the previous coach was lacking.

I’ll retire from worrying about the rotation and Scheierman concerns. I have faith in Hendo no doubt but I can’t help my internal worries. Again, the main worries are because I actually see this team as the one team we’ve had in the D1 era that could make serious noise in the Dance, 1-3 wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post

Hendo’s phone will be ringing…because of his success and personality and ability to coach the team concept. Some things(team concept & personality) the previous coach was lacking.

I’ll retire from worrying about the rotation and Scheierman concerns. I have faith in Hendo no doubt but I can’t help my internal worries. Again, the main worries are because I actually see this team as the one team we’ve had in the D1 era that could make serious noise in the Dance, 1-3 wins.
                      YES YES YES this team is very fun to watch! Baylor is fun, as i said earlier, I love watching Doug play, and the role players are fun and very admirable

that said i TOTALLY disagree that this is the best team we have had. obviously this is kind of a matter of opinion but i do think there would be some facts you could look at

the BY FAR biggest factor in NCAA tourney success is getting a GOOD MATCHUP. usually that means not getting a team with too much quality size.

if you look at the ORU run, i am pretty sure i said it last year before it began. would have to go back and look but they were REALLY talented as long as they did not have to play a team with very much size because they really only had Obanor. and that is exactly the matchups they got not only in one round but two. they did not play a team in first two rounds who could make them suffer for lack of size so they were able to play shooting contests and obviously they were VERY capable to win those

when NDSU beat oklahoma same thing, GREAT matchup

our teams with Nate i would say were better than this year team, and better than last year ORU team, and better than that NDSU team, but if you go back and look at who they played, i believe Baylor went to elite 8 that year and they were loaded with quality size
                      following year Michigan goes to championship game, again way more size than anyone ORU played last year

i have also said this before, but i still believe the MOST talented team we have ever had, was Daum freshman year. i do not think we have ever had a trio of players as talented as Mike, George, and Deondre

that Maryland team was huge. the fact that we played them to a one score finish is a testament to how awesome that team was. same thing with Nates first tourney team having Baylor on the ropes for much of the game

i do not men ANY of that to disparage this year team!!! I LOVE THIS TEAM! tbjack had a great post about how they play. totally true!! i love how they pass the ball and play together. they are so fun to watch. but most of the time we want to play with two guys who are 6 foot 7 and about 200 pounds guarding the 4 and 5. the other three are 6'4, 6'3, and whatever charley is

this team could ABSOLUTELY make some noise in NCAA but their chances would be much better if they could play teams NOT full of talented BIG guys

both Nagy and AJ spoke often about the key to winning in the tourney is getting good matchups

maybe i am not remembering totally correct, but i think the best matchup we have had for MBB is the Ohio State game, but even with bad matchups i think the jacks MBB have given themselves a shot to win several of the games they have had in NCAA

Comment

Henderson has proven his teams can play well in the regular season, but has yet to reach the championship game of the Summit League Tournament. Maybe this year.

Comment

I deleted two posts upthread about Noah Freidel, and my comment for doing so got truncated. Basically I made the point that Noah Freidel the man is more important than Noah Frieidel the basketball player, and that I trust Coach Henderson, his staff, and the team to be addressing whatever's going on with Freidel with that foremost in their minds. It serves no useful purpose to continue to complain about whatever's going on. Please, people, give it a rest.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            I deleted two posts upthread about Noah Freidel, and my comment for doing so got truncated. Basically I made the point that Noah Freidel the man is more important than Noah Frieidel the basketball player, and that I trust Coach Henderson, his staff, and the team to be addressing whatever's going on with Freidel with that foremost in their minds. It serves no useful purpose to continue to complain about whatever's going on. Please, people, give it a rest.
                            Rest is exactly what’s needed.

Nater and Mike had some great teams and yes, to take Maryland to a one score game was impressive. That said, team wise, top 5-6 guys on the team(regardless of who’s playing) I think this years team, team is the best. They play like a team, complete. Honestly I’d take Baylor, Douglas and likely Zeke over Mike, George and Deondre. Blasphemous, I know.
                            Last edited by Jackedforlife; 01-30-2022, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Wilson took a nasty fall on his back. It was probably best to not put him back in the game and risk him not being available for the next UND game (and this is me hoping he is playing). That undercut was very cheap.

The team needs to stay healthy if we are only going to have 8 play for the majority of the game. Any injury is huge so hope the guys can stay healthy.
                              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                                Wilson took a nasty fall on his back. It was probably best to not put him back in the game and risk him not being available for the next UND game (and this is me hoping he is playing). That undercut was very cheap.

The team needs to stay healthy if we are only going to have 8 play for the majority of the game. Any injury is huge so hope the guys can stay healthy.
                                Hendo said it was back spasms similar to the game he missed in Omaha.

Comment

Working...
                                X