No announcement yet.

GDT: Bison vs Jackrabbits 2pm Frost Arena ESPN+/Midco2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is quite obvious that this is the team he is going with. Hard to argue the results so far.
    hopefully Wingett can get some quality minutes in Monday

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

This is another reason why I think Hendo is an underrated coach. He coached there, but he didn't adopt that style.
      Amen

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        That was a battle. Closing it out with Appel and Wilson on the bench was impressive.

It’s also good to see the team grind out a win when the shooting is ice cold. Some of that was due to NDSU’s defense, but the guys also missed some wide open threes. NDSU missed their chance.
        Have to give Dentlinger credit for playing really well the last few games. I was hard on him earlier in the season when he wasn't playing well, but he has turned it around. As good as the Jacks have been from the perimeter (other than today), the Jacks are the only team in the Summit that has three effective post players.

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post
          It is quite obvious that this is the team he is going with. Hard to argue the results so far.
          hopefully Wingett can get some quality minutes in Monday
          no doubt, I don’t want to argue the results but if the past is any indication the team seems to fall short at tourney time with a short bench and guys exhausted from so many in season minutes.

To watch Baylor walking up the court the last few minutes was concerning.

I think Hendo is a heck of a coach and the results this year are great, just hope there’s more in the tank come March after a 7-8 man rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
            Ok, am I the only one that looks at a gassed Scheierman and wonders, “hey, maybe it’s time to get Freidel some minutes”? Baylor is arguably our best all around player. We lose him to exhaustion or injury and that Summit Tourney is considerably harder. Pull any other player and it gets difficult but to me it’s impossible without Baylor.

I’m not advocating that Hendo goes against whatever his plan/strategy is with Noah but if it isn’t Freidel get Wingett or someone else in there.

rant over
            I have heard rumors about why Freidel isn't playing, and while I'm not going to propagate the rumors, I will say that if what I've heard is true, then there's a legitimate reason he's not playing.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

I have heard rumors about why Freidel isn't playing, and while I'm not going to propagate the rumors, I will say that if what I've heard is true, then there's a legitimate reason he's not playing.
              Agree 100% if those are the same rumors I’ve heard and are true as well. Hendo has his reasoning no doubt but I’m just worried about the team health heading into the final stretch. All are important but Scheierman is the one we can I’ll afford to lose.

Comment

Someone DM me these so called rumors…

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                  Someone DM me these so called rumors…
                  I would be interested in that info as well.

Comment

I agree with others that we can survive conference play without Noah as player such as Mims have stepped up. However, I believe if we make it to the dance our probability of making an Oral Roberts type of run is greatly decreased without Noah. Let’s not forget how Noah completely took over the game against Fort Wayne in the Summit league tournament as a true freshman. He single handedly kept us in the game, and I will never forget the look on his face when he was stranded by the scorer’s table at the end of the game because we were unable to get the clock stopped for him to check back in. The kid is a gamer and has ice in his veins. If we are going to beat a top ten team it is going to have to be from the three point line, and Noah is as good as anyone in the league at creating his own shot. I just do not see Mims getting the absolute wide open looks he has been getting against Summit league teams when March comes around. I am not saying that we have no chance to pull an upset without Noah, I just believe it is greatly reduced.

I also know why Noah is not playing, and while I agree 100 percent that he should have missed some time it does not warrant him being kicked off the team IMO. Don’t tell me things like that don’t happen within teams at power conferences on a regular basis.

Comment

wow!!!!!! dont even know where to begin, but i guess three things stand out after watching the game and reading comments so far

i know i made comments about hoping we would crush the bison and other did also. but as was said in a different. we can hope for stuff but that does not make it likely and if anyone EVER thinks it is likely that the jacks or ANYONE are going to stomp the bison they are paying ZERO attention to the evidence

and we can debate about how much they foul or not. i agree they are definitely very physical. i would say that i think they foul and hold more AWAY from the ball then they do on the ball and you can usually get away with more of that. point of fact i do not think there was ONE SINGLE foul called away from the ball today. not even an illegal screen- yes i know that is on offense

but whatever any of us think, the bison calling cards have always been defense and discipline to their game plan. and they DO NOT deviate and they are very very VERY hard to put away. and it is not just us that they play tough games with. their last two games with ORU are also one point finishes. they expect to play close games and they are comfortable in them and usually excel down the stretch. maybe a huge surprise is that they missed key FT in both of their games with us this year

games with the bison are just tough and they will almost ALWAYS come down to last couple minutes, PERIOD

playing time- i understand what evidence some of you are looking at. i am not sure it is the correct evidence. getting guys injured or having them not play at the end of the year for personal reasons, DOES NOT mean that the coach mismanaged the team minutes during the year!!!! we have had events during Hendo tenure that were TOTALLY out of his control

PLEASE look at the league playing time leaders. i think we are the ONLY team with ONLY ONE player in the top 20 for playing time in the conference. and for those concerned that baylor is going to break then what is going to happen to Abmas. he played huge minutes last year. he played quite a few more games. he is playing huge minutes again this year. i do not recall him being terrible at the end of year last year due to playing too many minutes in the season. maybe i am wrong?

the jacks have ONE player in top 20 in minutes played. we have one player averaging over 25 minutes a game. AA is second or recently was at about 24.5 minutes and we have ZERO other player in top 25 in conference in minutes played. SOOOOO...... i am not sure how you want to interpret that??? but it seems to indicate to me that individual minutes are being managed quite expertly in reality, despite what people say in fan world

finally and i think this is really the most important. and i wish it would be a LOT more of what we would discuss here

instead of rushing to complain about why somebody is not playing OR playing time OR whatever other complaints we have, i hope we can take some time to recognize how many big plays were made by so many players today and in every game. this team is very special and there have been special moments by many different players

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

i wonder if we all heard the same rumor.

Comment

So I guess using an anonymous account to say you've heard a really bad rumor about someone is cool as long as you don't cite the specific rumor? Bravo jacks fans.

Comment

i guess three things stood out today but i am not saying that is the whole list. there were LOTS of great plays and efforts

Doug does something almost every game that makes me appreciate how lucky we are to have him and also to illustrate what a totally unique player he is. I truly cannot think of a single other player in all my years coaching and watching basketball who reminds me of doug wilson

who are the other guys in the league who can guard a center and a point guard as well as doug?? i think the best other 3 players in the league were in today game and two of them play for the jacks

literally we have three guys that coaches are confident to let them guard any player on the floor one on one. AA started as a freshman playing power forward, as a sophomore at point guard, the last two years he and baylor are really positionless but they can both guard anyone on the floor. but neither of them or anyone else does that as well as doug. it is a HUGE advantage for the jacks to have three such versatile defenders. the other guy who comes to mind is Griesel, they often let him guard a center after a switch and make little or no effort to help him

i know doug drives some people crazy because he is SO agressive sometimes and he can look SO SO unorthodox!!! but overall he is a HUGE PLUS for us and we are so lucky to have him. how many special plays did he make today despite limited time. the play with him and dent running a 2 on 1 break finishing with dent lobbing to doug was incredible!!! the tip on baylor miss just after entering back into game after sitting with 3 fouls was a VERY doug play. i am sure i could come up with a lot more but i will really miss watching him play after this year

i think it is so impressive what Matt D has done. accepting becoming the 3rd post and inconsistent playing time and still being ready to come in and go 4 for 4 on free throw with the stinking game ON THE LINE!!! that is a really really impressive young man!!!!!! FIRST i am impressed with Matt and all the kids who make these contributions!! second it does speak to the coaching that they have kids accept these decisions and i have NEVER seen anyone at the end of the bench pouting!! the kids on our bench ALWAYS look engaged and they look genuinely happy for their teammates

and matt has done this several times. he had a 20 point game recently. great kid!!!!! one of many great kids on this team!!!!

i also thought matt mims had a huge game!! he had at least one big steal but i think he had his hands on several balls on defense. and even though his 3 was not dropping like everyone else, he still contributed some big buckets!!!

one more i thought charley was also great! had some great cuts for buckets. also pretty late in the game there was a loose ball where both charley and mims showed great hustle. so so fun to see them grow in the roles they play

that is all for now

lastly, not a complaint, but has any team benefitted more from injuries to doug or to rabbit athletes in general. i think not. i could argue one football injury for the jacks allowed their fb team to have another trophy this year. not to mention gibbs getting hurt agains them. they got to play the girls the first game after myah got hurt last year. and i am pretty sure that it is all three years now of doug career, the bison have got to play us either without doug or with him missing significant minutes because of injury
                            theyre just lucky i guess

Comment

Originally posted by blue? View Post
                              So I guess using an anonymous account to say you've heard a really bad rumor about someone is cool as long as you don't cite the specific rumor? Bravo jacks fans.
                              Okay. Let's try going through this point by point:

1. Freidel is not playing.
                              2. I assume that there is a reason he is not playing.
                              3. I assume that there is a *good* reason he's not playing.
                              4. I have heard several different rumors (or call them theories, whatever) as to why he's not playing.
                              5. The people I've heard from have no direct knowledge of what's going on, as far as I know.
                              6. Given points 1 through 5, I consider it possible that at least one of the rumors I've heard may possibly be true.
                              7. It is also possible that none of them are true, or that they are distortions to a greater or lesser degree of the actual reason or reasons that Friedel isn't playing.
                              8. I am in no position to know if any of those rumors is true, partially true, or complete BS.
                              9. I honestly don't care all that much about any of the rumors, because points 2 and 3 (which in general represent a trust in the coaching staff that they know what they're doing).
                              10. Stating a rumor exists is NOT equivalent to stating that a rumor is true.
                              11. The obsession of some about the situation is rather irritating to me, and I posted in a manner which to some extent expressed that irritation.
                              12. Perhaps that post of mine was ill-advised. I am always open to the possibility that what I post is ill-advised.
                              13. I think not in this case, but you're more than welcome to disagree on the topic.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You won't find better team basketball anywhere at any level other than this years SDSU Jacks. Moving the ball, getting open shots, unselfishness. Incredible team basketball that just doesn't exist.

Guess who has them playing this way, coach Hendo. He knows which guys fit best in that system and it's clearly working. A true 8 deep team is more than we've seen in the rotation in years. It's not 6 and 2 guys play a few token minutes. It's legitimate 8 deep play significant minutes. That's PLENTY.

A 3 point shooting team that beats a top team in the conference while going 1-12 from 3? Thats amazing.

Let's just quit with the Friedel talk - if he plays for SDSU ever again we can call it a win at this point. Quit with the complaining about the coaching and depth - the coaching staff has to have earned our trust with the success on the court. Just enjoy watching these guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X