Nagy to Wright State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rumor: Nagy to Wright State

This one is baffling...it's obvious that Coach was eventually going to get an offer he couldn't refuse, but Wright State? I get that Tim Miles and Saul Phillips are more charismatic and play better to the media, but they were offered Mountain West & MAC jobs respectively. I would expected something similar for Coach Nagy to be lured away from Brookings. If he's going to leave I would selfishly like for it to be a team that gets to occasionally play on the ESPN networks!

Comment

You have to admit--at the very least it's a very, very effective negotiating tactic to get a better salary.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        You have to admit--at the very least it's a very, very effective negotiating tactic to get a better salary.
        This has to be it. Because none of it makes sense unless he just hates it here and wants to get out. It'd be a small bump in salary and he's going to get a raise anyways.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          Maybe significant pay hike. Can't imagine he would go down there and meet with the players if he wasn't going to accept it. Matt Zimmer is reporting Nagy has been offered the job.
          For clarity, here's the Zimmer tweet: "I've heard Nagy has been offered the Wright State job. Haven't talked to him, but I'd be a bit surprised if he took it. Barely a lateral move." Tweeted at about 12:25 pm today.

Personally, I share Zim's opinion. (More accurate: I sure hope Zim is right!)

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            And a multi-year contract. If this were to happen, it put's Justin Sell in a tough spot. In a year when we need and seem to be in on some spring recruits, do you go with one of the assistants with the hope of staying in the picture with recruits, or do you look at the long term and open things up and see who might be interested ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
              That's my thought as well. I fully expect Nagy to leave a some point, but Wright State really isn't the job I figured he'd leave for. Bradley U last year made more sense last year being it is in his home state and MVC teams pay more than Summit teams in general, but Horizon isn't really a step up from the Summit, Wright State definitely isn't a step up as a program (not even the top dog in it's own metro area), and I can't imagine we couldn't match their salary.
              Nagy's base salary this year was $212,000 according to Zimmer's article with an additional $25,000 of "other pay". Wright State's last coach got $225,000 so we could probably match that pretty easily but Wright State's last coach got paid $365,000. I don't think he will get that right away but if he comes in and is successful I'm sure they will pay him that as well and I'm almost certain we won't be able to match that.

Comment

Greg Stemen@GregStemen 10m10 minutes ago
                Wright State offer will be in neighborhood of $450K/yr.

Greg Stemen@GregStemen 11s12 seconds ago
                $450K will be the low end at Wright State.
                USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  And a multi-year contract. If this were to happen, it put's Justin Sell in a tough spot. In a year when we need and seem to be in on some spring recruits, do you go with one of the assistants with the hope of staying in the picture with recruits, or do you look at the long term and open things up and see who might be interested ?
                  Nagy has had too much success to worry about a multi-year contract here. He's at a much higher risk going to Wright State.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                    WOW.

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post

Greg Stemen@GregStemen 11s12 seconds ago
                      $450K will be the low end at Wright State.

Whoa!! That'll be tough to turn down. Money talks.

Comment

Greg Stemen just tweeted again and said $450K will be the low end.

Comment

If Nagy is gone I'm sure current assistants would get a look, but would love to see Tom Billeter and Matt Margenthaler get an opportunity if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            If Nagy is gone I'm sure current assistants would get a look, but would love to see Tom Billeter and Matt Margenthaler get an opportunity if interested.
                            Hoping we don't get to this conversation but if Nagy->WSU happens, I would say it would be between Billeter, Klink, and a regional MVC or Power 5 Assistant Coach to be the next HC. Billeter would probably be in the driver seat after his D2 NT. Nothing personal towards Margenthaler, but Coach Nagy has built this program that would attract some talented assistants from notable programs that have better recruiting ties than MM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                              Greg Stemen just tweeted again and said $450K will be the low end.
                              I understand it now! Congrats to him if he cashes in on a great run at SDSU. Either way he will have a much-deserved raise next year.

Comment

I'd expect he takes it. That's a lot more money than his current salary.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X