Fort Wayne Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Wayne Round 2

Three Summit teams enter the week with 9 wins. SDSU and Fort Wayne are each 9-3 while Omaha is 9-4.

In the first meeting with Fort Wayne (Jan 14), the Jacks defended the home court 92-76. The Jacks are 7-6 for the season playing on an opponent's court, 3-0 on neutral courts, and 10-0 at home. The Dons are 10-1 at home, 9-5 when visiting, and 1-1 on neutral courts. This Thursday, we're a very good traveling team playing on a hostile court.

The one home loss suffered by the Dons was Jan 23 when IUPUI won 84-82 (on the basis of IUPUI's Marcellus Barksdale scoring a buzzer-beater layup). In addition to the loss at Frost and the home loss to IUPUI, Fort Wayne's other conference loss was Feb 6 at NDSU. 62-46.

In Frost, IPFW senior Max Landis, #10, hit five three-pointers and finished with 23 points. We all read about what he did Feb 4 in Vermillion: he set a school-record for three's (11 of 15) and totaled 44 points for the night. He was held to just nine points against NDSU but came back Feb 13 when Denver played in Fort Wayne, to score 30 points (including seven of nine from beyond the arc). Fort Wayne 88, Denver 84.

We're ranked #13. They're ranked #16. It has the ingredients for a classic.
    Last edited by JackJD; 02-15-2016, 10:10 PM.

Re: Fort Wayne Round 2

The Jackrabbits should be getting in the groove for roads games save the Omaha scorefest fiasco. They won the rival game at Vermillion, the solid victory in Tulsa, and they outlasted Denver on the road. I expect Nagy to have the team ready to play defense and the scoring has been coming easier for the offense. Landis will likely have Deondre bringing coverage for the defensive call. Konchar could still be a wild card. He is a 6'5" guard who will get some rebounds(9.5 per game) and score some points(13.7). Jake and Keaton will likely draw that assignment. It is not like those 2 guys are the team, but the action will definitely flow through those two. They are averaging 38.3 and 36.3 minutes per game. The next two are 31 and 30 minutes. They average 46 minutes of bench per game in conference play. The Jackrabbits find reserves at 60 minutes which Daum and Moffit probably stretch that number. The blue and yellow lens says Jackrabbits edge the Mastodons.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Hoping and praying for a victory in FW.

Comment

Defense, defense, defense, rebounding and defense. Don't put them on the line all night.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Hoping and praying for a victory in FW.
          Am I the only one that think this is a Jacks victory by a good margin? The game at Frost was Marshall's 4th game back and remember, no Jake Bittle. Jacks by 10 plus! I'm not saying we take them lightly but I see us getting better each time out. Peaking at a good time!

Comment

Originally posted by bulldogs53 View Post
            Am I the only one that think this is a Jacks victory by a good margin? The game at Frost was Marshall's 4th game back and remember, no Jake Bittle. Jacks by 10 plus! I'm not saying we take them lightly but I see us getting better each time out. Peaking at a good time!
            I don't share your optimism unfortunately. Good team on the road it won't be easy. You'd think that the guys will be motivated because a win virtually locks us for the top seed. However, the same could be said for the game at USD last year....

I think this one is a toss up.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              I don't share your optimism unfortunately. Good team on the road it won't be easy. You'd think that the guys will be motivated because a win virtually locks us for the top seed. However, the same could be said for the game at USD last year....

I'm more in this camp. This team still struggles on the road, and FW is good.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

This is where I am at as well. You have team with a 10-1 home record against at team with a 7-6 road record. Block out everything else for a second and consider those numbers.

If we are able to get a win down there then we'll certainly deserve that #1 seed. There can't be any of the "we came out flat" stuff in this one, FW will be excited to claim the title.

Comment

There's a reason I hate IPFW, and it has to do with previous unpleasant experiences the men's basketball team has had in Mad Anthony's town.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Take Landis out of the game and this should be a win. I mean Denver almost beat them in Fort Wayne last week. The only thing that will keep the Don's in the game is if they are hitting there 3's. Konchar and Reed are not near the threats that Landis is.

IPFW could have been really good if Evans did a little more studying.

Comment

Cant compare this game with last year USD as we had several first year players, George, Deondre, Keaton at SDSU. They played scared. This year our experience is a huge plus as guys understand the sense of urgency and what's on the line. If we are as good as we think we are we are going to have to go on the road and make a statement. I truly think they are motivated by what's at stake. I stand by my 10 plus point victory.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldogs53 View Post
                        Cant compare this game with last year USD as we had several first year players, George, Deondre, Keaton at SDSU. They played scared. This year our experience is a huge plus as guys understand the sense of urgency and what's on the line. If we are as good as we think we are we are going to have to go on the road and make a statement. I truly think they are motivated by what's at stake. I stand by my 10 plus point victory.
                        I'm with you. Seems to me many people would rather hope to win rather than believe we will win so defeat is easier to deal with? I would bet our players and coaches believe they will win! Winners expect to win and losers expect lose. We are the best team in the conference and I expect to win. I will deal with a loss after a game but not before.

Comment

WE caught Omaha who was a hurtin and they needed a big game, and we still scored easily even though we didnt "look" good on offense. If Landis shoots 75% on 3s and scores 40 points. Tip the cap and move on. I have a hard time thinking we are going to loose. At NDSU they only win because they some how get into our players heads. I feel better about this road game then others we have had.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                            I'm with you. Seems to me many people would rather hope to win rather than believe we will win so defeat is easier to deal with? I would bet our players and coaches believe they will win! Winners expect to win and losers expect lose. We are the best team in the conference and I expect to win. I will deal with a loss after a game but not before.
                            Think about it; you cannot be a championship caliber team and not beat some of the better teams on their home floor. Sorry folks can't hide behind the home crowd and become champions got to get on the rode and win. Is this game any tougher than going to Colorado in the NIT and kicking their butts? One game at a time, I'm glad we got experience on our side.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                              Or maybe it's called being realistic. I'm not dealing with a loss right now just merely saying this game doesn't look to be an easy W for me. I've seen how hard it is to win on the road in college basketball against ANY team let alone a very good team and let's not kid ourselves, IPFW is still pretty damn good even without Evans.

I hope we win by 20 it'll be easier on my heart but I'm expecting a dog fight. If we win we will have EARNED the top seed.

Comment

Working...
                              X