X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA 6thFan Contest

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    Auto bot??
    Sounds like it. They are full on cheating now.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      Auto bot??

Comment

51-49 WIU is up on us.

Comment

Still down 49-51 at 5pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
            Sounds like BYU has unleashed their secret weapon. I think we are done and I'm not sure who will stop them if they are doing what is being rumored.
            Joseph Smith?

Comment

We've come back from 51-49 before...got to dig out of this hole. Full bore ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                We'll probably hang on vs. WIU, but do we stand a realistic chance vs. BYU or UCF...or even NDSU?
                You guys would need some drastic changes to have any chance against BYU or NDSU. We have yet to really see what UCF can do. No offense, but if they can beat BYU, I don't see you guys standing much of a chance. As of right now, BYU has about 4 times as many votes as SDSU and WIU combined. The NDSU vs. BYU matchup has just over 75% of the total votes that have been made this round by all the teams. I wish you guys the best, as I would rather have you win it than anyone else (besides us). I'll throw some votes your way as well if we get knocked out this round, but it probably won't make much difference.

Comment

All it would take is one alum with a law degree and some tech knowledge to put things together with a few subpoenas to make this $100,000 contest a money loser for the NCAA. Plus, it would add a bunch of embarrassment, as if the NCAA cares about its reputation.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Down 52-48 now. Going to need a big effort tonight to keep up with WIU's Voting marathon. Wish we would have gotten this organized.

Comment

Bison down big now the BYU turned the bots on full time now. Plus WIU reverse engineered the BYU script.
                      Last edited by Evolution Prime; 03-01-2014, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Got 300+ votes in tonight not moving the needle at all.

Comment

Originally posted by cpop View Post
                          Got 300+ votes in tonight not moving the needle at all.
                          Yeah, not sure we are having any impact. And since my day started at 6 this morning, I'm out of gas and calling it a night. Hope the tooth fairy shows up, or going to be a tough go tomorrow, especially if WIU runs in the same gear as they did today. Disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                            Yeah, not sure we are having any impact. And since my day started at 6 this morning, I'm out of gas and calling it a night. Hope the tooth fairy shows up, or going to be a tough go tomorrow, especially if WIU runs in the same gear as they did today. Disappointing.
                            Will keep on plugging away through tomorrow.But in all honesty , you look at what BYU is doing to the Bison (legal or more than likely not) and there is no way anyone will compete with them unless they come up with a more "creative" way to move the needle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                              Sometimes the scripts/macros close the 'thank you' window so fast you don't see it. That's what happened in this case.

Couple other bits of info:

The NCAA really has nothing to do with this other than letting their name and 'March Madness' be attached to it. The contest is being run by Bleacher Report which is part of Turner Sports Network which is part of Turner Broadcasting System which is part of TimeWarner. That's also where the money is coming from. Clear as mud?

Supposedly it's been confirmed from the above groups that voting with macros/scripts is just fine. Terminology: I guess if you want to be real technical, macros are ways to automate the mouse clicking part of the voting process. NDSU is generally using this method. Scripts are code that takes you directly to the captcha and logs the vote, bypassing just about all the rest of the page. BYU is generally using this method. The reason for the difference really boils down to the knowledge/comfort level of the first person to think of it on each side. The BYU guy had worked with java before, so that was the route he went. The NDSU guy had used macros before, so he went that way. Which is better? Honestly doesn't matter that much. Some like the lack of stress of the script method(it waits for you to finish), some like the fewer movements and loop tracking of the macro(takes one or two less button presses and you can set it for 100 or 200 etc loops to easily keep track of what you've accomplished).

It's also supposedly been confirmed that all votes are human-entered. Have my doubts on that, but I don't think the people running the contest care all that much. Will be interesting to see what happens when it comes time to award all the prizes(school and individual).
                              If the BYU guy can manipulate the java script enough to by-pass all the clicking, moving the cursor,etc,then,how much more would it take to eliminate any human involvement in the process at all and make the whole thing "automated"? Just turn on the computer and let it crank out a vote every two seconds, while the other guy is staying up all night losing sleep and manually entering capcha codes till he gets cross eyed.This contest has already been tainted by total lack of any type of monitoring to ensure everyone has an equal chance to win....it's a farce!

Also,I'm sure there are ways to make sure each step is completed in the voting process before the vote is "recorded" if they really wanted to ensure an equal contest.At the least, this contest was poorly run and not monitored enough to prevent cheating from occuring.I have no respect for any school who wins this contest by manipulating the java code where as to gain an unfair advantage....you know,cheating.Looking at you BYU.
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-01-2014, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Well I think I can alter the BYU code for our voting. I just need a place to put the java script on the internet.

Comment

Working...
                                X