BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Here is another signee for you red and whine to appease you for another couple days. you got your peanuts now go back into your cage.

05/14/2004
    Jacks Sign Illinois Standout
    BROOKINGS, SD - A player from Champaign Centennial High School in Illinois has signed a letter of intent indicating he will enroll at South Dakota State University and participate in the Jackrabbit men’s basketball program.

Steve Holdren, a 6-5 forward, averaged 17.9 points and was the leading rebounder (7.1 rpg) on the Chargers team that went 22-5 and reached the Illinois High School Association sectional semifinals.

SDSU coach Scott Nagy is a 1984 graduate of Centennial High School.

Holdren earned IBCA all-state honors and was a first-team Big-12 Conference pick. He was also on the Champaign News Gazette all-area first-team. Holdren played on the varsity for three seasons. He is the son of Jim and Peggy Holdren of Champaign.

Holdren is the third signee announced by SDSU, which will play its first season as an NCAA Division I member next winter. Earlier signees are 6-2 guard Landon Scott, Sioux City native who attended Iowa Western CC in Council Bluffs this year; and 6-2 guard Mathew Cadwell, from Cretin-Durham Hall High School in the Twin Cities.

Nagy has been head coach at SDSU for nine seasons, with a 210-59 record including a 27-7 mark in 2004. SDSU has won 20 or more games eight times since Nagy became head coach in 1996.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

What? Why did Nagy sign another foward? I hope he's got some other signees coming too because right now heres how I see your line up:

2004-05 SDSU men's roster:

Centers-1
      Jared Dejong-Senior

Guards 3-
      Cadwell- Freshman
      Scott- 1st Year JUCO
      Kleinjan- Freshman

Fowards
      Green- Soph
      Beran- Soph
      Wenig-Soph
      Jones- Junior
      Loney-Fresh
      Holdren-Fresh

Never going to play or probably won't be on the team:

Giever
      Hockenson

Why would he sign another foward, unless he is going to play like Kansas this season and have no true centers, just play 3 fowards and two guards, but even then, with moeller leaving you are still in desperate need of a true point guard (it sounds like Cadwell and Scott are both shooting guards). I won't say you guys are screwed now at least, since the way I count you probably still have 1 full scholie to give out, as long as he didn't waste it on Giever or Hokenson.

P.S. I like how they changed the picture from Andy Moeller to Ben Beran on your basketball website.

Comment

Red and White,
        Just to point out on the website of your beloved coyotes you don't even have one center listed. Your tallest player is 6'9'' and he is listed at forward. Kind of funny you keep bringing this up but your roster is littered with guards and forwards and you didn't recruit (even in the amazing class you had ;D) one player that plays the five, or will in college. I understand the need for an athletic big man in Division 1 ;D basketball but stop bothering us with your talk of recruiting. Its like the pot calling the kettle black. I guess you maybe need all those guards and forwards to defend staten and moeller next year. Good Luck!
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by redandwhite
          2004-05 SDSU men's roster:

Centers-1
          Jared Dejong-Senior

Guards 3-  
          Cadwell- Freshman
          Scott- 1st Year JUCO
          Kleinjan- Freshman

Fowards
          Green- Soph
          Beran- Soph
          Wenig-Soph
          Jones- Junior
          Loney-Fresh
          Holdren-Fresh

Never going to play or probably won't be on the team:

Giever
          Hockenson

Red and Wipe,

Kleinjan will be a Soph. who was a RS Fresh last year so this will be his third season in the program.  Loney will be a RS Fresh.  Giever will not only make the team but he will play.  He has had a good amount of min. the last two seasons to think he won't make the team is just stupid.  Hokenson got some playing time also last year.  You need to stop worrying about the Jackrabbits and go find a D-II board to post to.

Comment

RED AND WHITE' AKA RED AND WIPE.

Why is so hard to spell Hokenson's name? Its not spelled Hockensen. Maybe we should fire Nagy and hire red and wipe since he is smarter than Nagy. Oh spelling is his only weak point, but otherwise he is much smarter in telling us what we need at SDSU. Thanks red and wipe

Brady Hokenson

6-1, 165, Jr., Guard
            Watertown, MN (Watertown-Mayer H.S.)

2002-03: Brady played in 30 games including a start against Dakota Wesleyan …played 25 minutes and had nine points in that game, both career highs.

2001-02: Brady played in ten games including 11 minutes vs. Minnesota-Morris.

2000-01: Brady redshirted.

High School: Lettered three times and was a two-year all-conference selection for coach Dan Perrel at Watertown-Mayer High School ... team captain and MVP as a senior when he averaged 12 points, 5 assists and 4 rebounds per game ... also lettered in track and football.

Personal: Member of National Honor Society ... majoring in mechanical engineering ... born January 29, 1982 ... parents are Keith and Nancy Hokenson.

Comment

Originally posted by redandwhite

Yeah, I think they did want Mueller pretty bad, why would they not have?  He was the best player in the state.  
              I think we need to ignore Mr. Red and Wipe. He obviously knows nothing about basketball. He knows nothing about basketball players. He knows nothing about recruiting.

Anyone that thinks that Josh Mule (err) was ever the best basketball player in the state is a joke!

I bet Red and Wipe never even played basketball. In fact I bet he never played any sports.

Comment

Hey, the way D-I is going, 6'5" could very well make Holdren a rather tall #2 guard . . .

Not much difference between the #2 and #3 spot...#2 might be a bit better ball hander but otherwise, they're both expected to shoot, rebound, and one or the other is often matched up against the best offensive player on the other team.

Also, the way recruiting in the big time works, the best players don't always sign right at the start of the signing period. The kids that have multiple offers often wait to see who their schools of interest sign and where other players at their position go. I bet that in the coming years some of our best players will be those who wait for a bigger name D-I school to sign them, don't get the offer they want, then towards the end, take another look at SDSU.

These are the kids who will have something to prove to the rest of D-I. These are the kids we WANT.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

On May 13 a guest named Scoop speculated that Red and Whipe was Josh Mueller. I agree. SDSU didn't want him and didn't need him. Josh Mueller has a lot of skill trapped in a body run by a 6 year old brain. He is the most selfish and the biggest crybaby I've ever seen on a basketball floor. There hasn't been one moment where I've wanted him to wear a Jacks uniform. Did you see the article in the Argus where his mom said the reason why everyone was against him was because they were jealous? Get real mother. The reason why people don't like Josh is because he is a jerk. I guess jerks have mothers too.

Comment

I think I overheard Josh's mom talking about the vast Jackrabbit conspiracy that was keeping her baby boy down.

Comment

Over on chicagohoops.com, they talk about Steve Holden and say that he will be playing at South Dakota State who will be joining the Mid Continent Conference next year.... Have they heard something we havent ??

Comment

Here's another good article about Holdren from chicagohoops.com:

Champaign Centennial's Steve Holdren Healthy, Ready To Be One Of Better Prospects In Illinois

Brian Stinnette
                        July 13, 2003

Champaign Centennial's Steve Holdren is now healthy and ready to take his place as one of the better Class of 2004 prospects in the state of Illinois.

Holdren, a 6-4 wing, missed all but 10 games last year due to knee surgery. He still managed to average 14 points, 8 rebounds and 3 assists per contest.

Holdren told Chicago Hoops that his versatility is his biggest asset on the basketball court. He cites his ability to drive, shoot and post up on offense as key aspects of his game. In addition, Holdren is also capable of guarding guards or big men on defense.

Getting to play a full season with highly touted teammate Trent Meacham is one of the top goals for Holdren this year. Last year, Holdren was out with knee surgery. The year before that Meacham was out with an injury. This year, the focus is on staying healthy and making it downstate in the tournament.

Holdren mentions Ollie Harrison (Danville), Dodie Dunson (Bloomington) and Brandon Holtz (Bloomington) as some of the toughest players to play against in conference play.

Holdren has generated interest from a number of mid-major programs including Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, Ball State, Indiana State, Vermont and Wisconsin-Green Bay.

Holdren competes on the AAU circuit with the Illinois Wolves. Holdren has helped his stock with solid play this summer.

Comment

We may have a real gem with this recruit! He was hurt his junior year. That is the year most top D-I schools make their final decisions about who they want. Lots of interest in him from schools that were close enough to know his potential. I predict this young man will "light it up" at SDSU!

Go Jacks!

Comment

Yes-I think he may be a good one. I hope he's as good as the last player we got from Champaign, IL. (Jason Siempserot)

Comment

Do you guys think there will be additional signings this year, or are we done? We've definitely got a great recruiting class for this season.

Comment

I don't think we are ever done, when it comes to recruiting. A lot of really good players are still out there because they were overlooked by the current D-I powers. That spells opportunity for up and coming D-I programs (like ours) that still have scholarships to give. An additional 5 spot player would be nice. I am sure Scott is still working on that.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                                X