Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Originally posted by redandwhite

we'll only keep the best.  The rest of them can go play in NSIC or  at another NCC school.  I would rather keep the best of 21 than try to get a team out of 2 new recruits after losing four starters.  
    Can you name one player that USD has recruited that SDSU wanted?

Face it! You are getting the leftovers!

You take everyone that will come to USD as a walk-on or with very limited scholarship money in the hope that one will actually be worth having some day. That is why you have so many on your roster. By your own admission you'll keep only the best the rest of them can go..... somewhere else. That has not been the way you operated in the past. Apparently that did not work, huh?

Coaches that can recognize talent, then can recruit the players they want don't have to throw a bunch of guys at the fan to see who will stick. Two or three quality additions that have the skills the team needs is the way to build a program at any level. Good luck with your method you'll need it!

Comment

Honestly though, with the team we'll have in place over the next couple of years, or even next year would you be surprised by a coyote men's elite eight appearance?  Metro will be down, the only competition I can see would be UND, Mankato, or else Northern, but I think the coyotes can do it.
      Granted you won't have SDSU or NDSU to worry about, so your chances are a little beter for next year. But how did your team do without Tommy King on the floor last year. I don't believe he has any more semesters of eligibility left does he? Who do you have that can fill that mighty big hole?

Comment

Can you name one player that USD has recruited that SDSU wanted?
        1. Josh Mueller
        2. Derrick Paben
        3. Mandy Koupal (Thrown in just to make you angry)

Theres others I'm sure, but those are the ones I know of.

Just because we're throwing players to the fan doesn't indicate a reason that Boots can't recruit. On the contrary I see it as a way to eliminate luck from the success equation. Bring in tons of talented players, keep the ones the turn out good, send the others off to NAIA. That way you're guarunteed a good class every year, because the players that don't turn in to good college players can go play at Huron University later. This is the same way the big 10 recruits players, and will be even more so now that the 5/8 rule is gone. Look and see how many transfers there are from the U of M this year. Its just how the game works. I think that you only bringing in two good players this year shows an inability to recruit players to your school, especially after you lose so many players.

Comment

Bring in tons of talented players, keep the ones the turn out good, send the others off to NAIA.  That way you're guarunteed a good class every year, because the players that don't turn in to good college players can go play at Huron University later.
          I believe Eric Hall is from Huron, are you referring to him
          specifically by your comment above?

Comment

1.  Josh Mueller
            2.  Derrick Paben
            3.  Mandy Koupal (Thrown in just to make you angry)

Theres others I'm sure, but those are the ones I know of.
            It's a good thing you threw Mandy in because she is the only one you named that SDSU actually went after.

Comment

I believe Eric Hall is from Huron, are you referring to him
              specifically by your comment above?
              No, I just said the first naia that I thought of.

It's a good thing you threw Mandy in because she is the only one you named that SDSU actually went after.
              Yeah, I think they did want Mueller pretty bad, why would they not have? He was the best player in the state, but you think they didn't recruit him? I'm sure others on this board can at least vouch for the recruitment part (don't forget at the end of admitting that you wanted him to say that you think hes a dirty player and wouldn't fit in at SDSU!!!!).

Comment

Granted you won't have SDSU or NDSU to worry about, so your chances are a little beter for next year.
                Yeah, NDSU was a real threat to the trip to the elite 8, with their history of tournament appearances and all. :

Comment

No, I just said the first naia that I thought of.

Yeah, I think they did want Mueller pretty bad, why would they not have?  He was the best player in the state, but you think they didn't recruit him?  I'm sure others on this board can at least vouch for the recruitment part (don't forget at the end of admitting that you wanted him to say that you think hes a dirty player and wouldn't fit in at SDSU!!!!).  
                  I believe Josh Mueller did make a campus visit at SDSU but he did not look very good when he scrimmaged with the rest of the team.  Also he probably wore his attitude on his sleeve during the visit.  So thanks no but no thanks we did not need Josh Mueller and never will.  Besides his parents are part of that Fred Tribbitts crowd that does nothing but bad mouth SDSU.   We dont need those folks for our program.

Comment

Yeah, NDSU was a real threat to the trip to the elite 8, with their history of tournament appearances and all. :
                    Are you saying you enjoyed going to Fargo to play BB?
                    Didn't they beat you guys up there this year?

Comment

• Re: BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Yeah, I think they did want Mueller pretty bad, why would they not have?  He was the best player in the state, but you think they didn't recruit him?  I'm sure others on this board can at least vouch for the recruitment part (don't forget at the end of admitting that you wanted him to say that you think hes a dirty player and wouldn't fit in at SDSU!!!!).  

1.  Josh Mueller?  Best player in the State? Can you say Matt Jones?

2.  Recruiting is a process.  Each year there are only so many scholarships to give.  Good coaches look at all the good players.  But they have specific needs to fill.  Also they try to determine which players will fit into the chemistry that already exists on the team. I believe they even look at the parents and how much they will try to influence the coaching staff. A visit to a campus does not always translate into a full scholarship offer.  We already had Austin Hanson and Andy Moeller we needed other positions filled first.

Comment

Are you saying you enjoyed going to Fargo to play BB?
                        Didn't they beat you guys up there this year?
                        Whats your point? Did we still get into the regional this year? Did they? How many times in the last 50 years has NDSU stopped USD from making a trip to the elite 8? oh, thats right 0. NDSU is always a non-factor in basketball because they poor their entire athletic department into their football team because of the championships that they won before I was born. While your defending NDSU I like to ask what they are thinking with this DI-AA stuff. I don't understand why they think its going to help them that much, its not going to get them that much more publicity. Nobody in the country cares about DI-AA football anymore than D-II football. I can kind of understand why SDSU is doing it (even though its not going to work), because they will be in the highest division of basketball, where they have had some success, and theres at least the chance that they will make the big dance and get some real publicity like northern Iowa, but NDSU making the big dance? It won't happen in my lifetime, so it sounds like NDSU is wasting a ton of money for not much gain, unless they already have a DI-A football plan in place for ten years from now.

1. Josh Mueller? Best player in the State? Can you say Matt Jones?
                        Nobody knew he was that good before. Thats like a UND fan arguing that Glas is the greatest recruiter ever because he got beasley, when everyone knows it was just a lucky get. Same for Jones in Nagy, except not to the same degree.

I believe Josh Mueller did make a campus visit at SDSU but he did not look very good when he scrimmaged with the rest of the team. Also he probably wore his attitude on his sleeve during the visit. So thanks no but no thanks we did not need Josh Mueller and never will. Besides his parents are part of that Fred Tribbitts crowd that does nothing but bad mouth SDSU. We dont need those folks for our program.
                        I don't want to talk about this anymore, I think its safe to say that nobody knows how hard SDSU recriuted Mueller except for the SDSU coaching staff and Mueller. I think its safe to say that Mueller was the better high school player based on raw statistics, and the SDSU at least had an interest in him, and USD got a good signing.

Man, so much writing and all I'm doing is defending USD. I think someone should tell me why you've still only signed two recruits? Even if you use the logic that Nagy is only signing what he needs, hes lost four starters, plus two centers, and has only signed two players. I would think he needs to sign another player or two, or even three if Jones isn't going to make it back.

Comment

Best of luck to USD, whoever they are, and their run at whatever championship they play for NAIA, D-II, whatever. . .This is a D-I board! SDSU is a D-I school. Why are we even talking about the Coyotes? Who cares. We don't play them, they are not in our Division so again, who cares! If Red and Wipe wants to talk USD sports let him do it on USD's chat board (if they had one) or a D-II site.

Comment

redandwhite is Josh Mueller, his dad, or one of the Tibbets boys. Only one of the Mueller family members or Tibbets would speak this highly about him or the USD basketball team.

Comment

Nobody knew he was that good before.

I don't want to talk about this anymore, I think its safe to say that nobody knows how hard SDSU recriuted Mueller except for the SDSU coaching staff and Mueller.  I think its safe to say that Mueller was the better high school player based on raw statistics, and the SDSU at least had an interest in him, and USD got a good signing.
                              Everyone that saw Matt Jones play in High School knew how good he was. They also could see his potential. Few doubted that he could have gone D-I if he had wanted to do that. It was no surprise that he was great at SDSU. Good coaches can spot talent!

Josh is a different type of player. They play different positions. He is a good player but you can not substantiate your claim that he was the best. Not on the court of play or in statistics (which really mean nothing). That is why you don't want to discuss it any longer.

You are right about one thing. No one knows how hard SDSU went after Josh. But SDSU almost always gets the recruits they want. USeD on the other hand always get the left overs. And are always happy to get them!

Comment

To me it sounds like red and white is our old friend Mr. Powers from down south.
                                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                                X