BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BASKETBALL RECRUITING

No offense Rabbit Fan. Your posts are as important as anyones. Whoever told you about Loney was right!!

Comment

Has anyone heard about a new recruit coming in? I thought I saw the coaching staff with a young man at Applebees this past week. Looks like they are working pretty hard at it.
      I'd bet that another recruit or two is announced simultaneosly with the announcement that Moeller is leaving, if in fact that is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit85

I'd bet that another recruit or two is announced simultaneosly with the announcement that Moeller is leaving, if in fact that is the case.
        I agree about the announcement about the new recruit, but if its a transfer out, I was told the school that releases the student athlete does not make a press release. Rest assured thought that MSU-Mankato will have a big press release about Moeller and transfering.

Comment

SDSUFAN went to the Volga golf outing and reported on a different thread what is going on with basketball recruiting.  I thought I would move it over to this thread.

SDSUFAN wrote:

I had Troy Larson in my golf group for 9 holes, and he told me that there are two scholarships to fill. Coach Nagy mentioned that too.  Coach Larson said, they were close on one, but that is all I dare post. Either we will hear something offical or the hunt will still be on.
          One way or another the two will be filled.

Great info SDSUFAN. Nice work!

Go State! ;D

Comment

What struck home with me yesterday was Coach Nagy'scomment that outside of South Dakota, he no problem with landing good recruits. The air seems to be poison presently in South Dakota towards SDSU and going D1.  Is it no surprise that USD is playup the South Dakota's team, theme. Just go to their website.

Personally I feel,  the days of having a Jim Marking all-south Dakota team are long gone. If these South Dakota Kids want to go to USD, so be it. Its nice to have a Alpena kid like Matt Jones, but our program no longer rests on South Dakota kids.

There are too many old farts like myself who think the roster should be a reflection of the All state high school team and each athlete must have had a part in winning the State B tournament.  What a bunch of crap, and yesterday while driving up to Brookings, I was listening to KWAT Watertown and it was a local call in show that had some guy that had written a book about the State B tournaments. All these old farts where all calling in about Job Blow who played in 1937 and blah, blah. They did mentiong SDSU greats Steve Brown and Don Jacobsen.  I like talking the old days, but the future rests some where else.  If South Dakota continues this stuck in the mud attitude, it will never have 1 million people in the entire state. Some people would like that.
            Why should we care about whether Strandburg beat Revillo back in 1949? That is interesting but has no affect on the future.

I  think this subculture is going to hurt SDSU temporaily but once we start winning big in D1 basketball, every one will shut up about the 1937 B tourney. ;D

Comment

SDSUFAN wrote: ...and yesterday while driving up to Brookings, I was listening to KWAT Watertown and it was a local call in show that had some guy that had written a book about the State B tournaments.

You're right, SDSUFAN: fun to talk about the old days but better days are ahead and in a few years, we'll have even better "old days" to talk about.

Life is much better if one ignores that talk show on KWAT in Watertown...in Watertown, that show is considered for crackpots...just a few nuts calling in with negative comments on most every topic.

Comment

SDSU is in the running for Mid-Prairie Iowa guard Travis Kern. He recently accepted an invitation to attend the NBA Developmental Camp. He is also considering UNI,Drake and NDSU. His favorite at this point in UNI. His stock is rising as he is doing well in summer camps he has attended.

Comment

The Jacks have signed Andre Gilbert from Park Center High School, near the Twin Cities.
                  He's 6'8", 185, guard-forward, averaged 14 points, 6 boards, about 6 assists and 3 steals per game.

Comment

All right Jackguy, you are our resident expert on recruiting.  What can you tell us about Andre Gilbert?

Here is the offical release on him:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,3723

07/01/2004
                    Jacks sign player from Twin Cities
                    South Dakota State has signed a player from Park Center High School in the Twin Cities to a letter of intent, indicating he will enroll at SDSU and participate in the men's basketball program.

Andre’ Gilbert, Jr., a 6-6, 185 guard-forward becomes the fourth player to sign with the Jackrabbits for 2004-05.

Gilbert averaged 14 points, 6 rebounds, 5.7 assists, 3 steals and 1 block per game, and was a unanimous all-Northwest Suburban Conference selection. He was also team captain.

Gilbert participated in the Inner City all-star game, where he was a dunk competition finalist. . . .

SDSU, coached by Scott Nagy, will begin its first season of NCAA Division I competition in the 2004-05 season. Nagy, in his 10th season, has a 210-59 record at SDSU (.781 winning percentage).

Go State!  

Comment

Here is some info I took off of the Bisonville board,  looks like Andre was ranked at # 12.  Five spots better then Matt Cadwell who we signed earlier:

Rivals.com released their final MN class of 2004 rankings.

Rank Name HT POS Location/School College Choice  
                      1 Spencer Tollackson 6-9 C Chaska, MN (Chaska) MINNESOTA  
                      2 Ryan Amoroso 6-8 P/WF Burnsville, MN (Burnsville) MARQUETTE  
                      3 Mitch Henke 6-6 WF Minnetonka, MN (Hopkins) SANTA CLARA  
                      4 Eric Coleman 6-6 PF Oakdale, MN (Tartan) NORTHERN IOWA  
                      5 Everette Pedescleaux 6-6 PF Robbinsdale, MN (Armstrong) MINNESOTA - Football  
                      6 Miles Webb 6-3 2G Brooklyn Park, MN (Park Center) MINNESOTA  
                      7 Steve Neal 6-4 WF Minneapolis, MN (Patrick Henry) WYOMING  
                      8 Jadee Jones 6-1 2G Minnetonka, MN (Hopkins) FURMAN  
                      9 Patrick O’Bryant 6-11 C Blaine, MN (Blaine) BRADLEY  
                      10 Ben Woodside 5-11 PG Albert Lea, MN (Albert Lea) NORTH DAKOTA STATE
                      11 Jesse Becker 5-11 PG Osseo, MN (Osseo) SOUTH DAKOTA  
                      12 Andre Gilbert 6-6 1/2G Brooklyn Park, MN (Park Center)  
                      13 Brett Winkelman 6-5 WF Morris, MN (Morris) NORTH DAKOTA STATE
                      14 Bret Brielmaier 6-8 PF Mankato, MN (Loyola)  
                      15 Ryan Gargaro 6-9 C Maplewood, MN (Hill Murray) NEW HAMPSHIRE  
                      16 Tom Conboy 6-8 P/WF Minnetonka, MN (Minnetonka)  
                      17 Matt Cadwell 6-2 1/2G St. Paul, MN (Cretin-Derham Hall)  
                      18 Tom Lunde 6-8 C/PF Ulen, MN (Ulen-Hitterdal) NORTH DAKOTA STATE
                      19 Jason Birr 6-4 G/F Mendota Heights, MN (St. Thomas Academy) CONCORDIA-ST. PAUL  
                      20 John Vaudreuil 6-6 PF Bloomington, MN (Jefferson)  
                      21 DeAnte Ferguson 6-5 WF Robbinsdale, MN (Armstrong)  
                      22 Tyler Ganz 6-7 WF St. Francis, MN (St. Francis)  
                      23 Andy Stark 6-4 WF Chaska, MN (Chaska)  
                      24 Travis Whipple 5-11 PG Maplewood, MN (Hill Murray) NORTHERN STATE  
                      25 David Dreas 6-1 PG Winona, MN (Winona) ST. CLOUD STATE  
                      26 Tommy Drake 6-5 G/F Eden Prairie, MN (Eden Prairie)  
                      27 Dan Dewitt 6-3 2G Circle Pines, MN (Centennial) NORTHERN STATE  
                      28 Grant Hargett 6-1 1/2G Robbinsdale, MN (Armstrong)  
                      29 Adam Chandler 5-9 PG Burnsville, MN (Burnsville)  
                      30 Scott Kelly 6-5 WF Hastings, MN (Hastings)  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

WOW!! I read on SDSU's website that Andre Gilbert inked, a great get for you guys. He is extremely athletic and versatile, can play the 1, 2, or the 3, although he probably doesn't shoot it well enough at this point to play the 2. However, he can guard absolutely anyone on the perimeter, that is what he will excell at from the get-go. He is extremely long. That is a great signing. UNI offered at one point, but I guess they had to pull their offer after it was out there for awhile and got taken by someone else. He played the point this past year, with Miles Webb who signed with the Gophs at the 2. Their team did terribly poor due to some chemistry and height issues. He will not overwhelm anyone with his offense at this point, but he is an absolute stud on defense, and contributes a bit to every column on the stat sheet. Congrats, he is a real good get, especially this late in the process. His development will be interesting to monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by D
                          WOW!!  I read on SDSU's website that Andre Gilbert inked, a great get for you guys.  He is extremely athletic and versatile, can play the 1, 2, or the 3, although he probably doesn't shoot it well enough at this point to play the 2.  However, he can guard absolutely anyone on the perimeter, that is what he will excell at from the get-go.  He is extremely long.  That is a great signing.  UNI offered at one point, but I guess they had to pull their offer after it was out there for awhile and got taken by someone else.  He played the point this past year, with Miles Webb who signed with the Gophs at the 2.  Their team did terribly poor due to some chemistry and height issues.  He will not overwhelm anyone with his offense at this point, but he is an absolute stud on defense, and contributes a bit to every column on the stat sheet.  Congrats, he is a real good get, especially this late in the process.  His development will be interesting to monitor.
                          D,

Good stuff, thanks for the post.

Go SDSU! ;D

Comment

We lived in the Cities until about 1 1/2 years ago. I remembered Andre Gilbert's name right away, took awhile for Matt Cadwell to come to mind. I've followed the high schools up there since the move as much as possible on the web, but the last 2 seasons we from afar. Gilbert will be a great defensive spark, unless he redshirts.

When you look at the list of the recruits above (forgot to copy it), it shows that SDSU should have good luck in getting some of the top players from there.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

anybody heard anything on recruiting lately? By my count Nagy still has 1 scholarship available, because of Moeller's loss.

Comment

This story from the Argus 9/03/04 Sports clips:

FAST-TALK

SDSU gets verbal commitment

BASKETBALL: South Dakota State's first men's basketball recruit for the 2005-06 season is Bob Bilitz, a senior at West Lutheran High in Minneapolis, who gave Coach Scott Nagy a verbal commitment this week. The 6-foot-10, 200-pound senior averaged 12 points, 9.6 rebounds and five blocks in 2004 and was named the MVP of the Chicago Jam-Fest and Shootout this summer.

Comment

Working...
                                X