X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ORU

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    No blame is necessary, IMO.

The officiating crew was as good as any we have seen in Frost, according to orusports.com that crew refs a lot of Big 10 and Big 12 games. All officials make mistakes, they just got caught up in the moment and called it based on the result, not the actual foul itself. Almost all officials would have called it intentional. I'm just glad it wasn't a 2 point game at that point.

As far as I'm concerned, its a non-issue.

I will say that unless your name is LeBron James or Blake Griffin and you know you can out muscle/jump the defender, you have no business attempting a dunk in that scenario. Pearson made a bad decision and put himself in a bad position, Sutton said as much in his press conference.
    I'm not arguing the intentional foul call, though I disagree with it. The point I am trying to make is that play could have been avoided alltogether. Could the ORU player have held up? Yes, but is shouldn't even have gotten to that point.

Comment

Glad we got this win! It's gotta be a huge confidence builder. It's not a secret we have struggled against them. Now the men know they can win. Let's get'em in Sioux Falls.

I didn't see the foul at the end of the game, but I just want to point out what the rule actually states. This is the first year the NCAA has used the term "Flagrant" in describing fouls. It doesn't necessarily mean that the refs thought Griff tried to hurt the kid or was playing dirty. They could have deemed it more severe than a "common" foul. Any hard foul can be called a flagrant. From the way people are describing it, it sounds like that was the case. The ORU coach had no problem with the foul.....I think that says a lot.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/2011-0...-rules-changes

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
        I would have been dissapointed had Grif not challenged the dunk. You don't come into Frost and dunk on the Jacks unchallenged. THAT WAS NOT A FLAGRANT FOUL.
        \

Exactly! He has to protect SDSU's house.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
          I would have been dissapointed had Grif not challenged the dunk. You don't come into Frost and dunk on the Jacks unchallenged. THAT WAS NOT A FLAGRANT FOUL.
          Even Coach Sutton agrees that it wasn't a flagrant foul.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
            Hey, their kids give them a break. Beating OR was a big deal and I am glad the kids enjoyed it. Oral Roberts players are a reflection of their Coach....wine and cry.

The foul on Griff..............play every play, contest every shot. When a player has a break away and going to dunk on you its only a natural reaction to shut it down. Was it dirty? Hell no. I just hope the yound man is OK. You hate to see anyone get hurt.

Good luck to OR in Fargo. Not really. Go Bison.

Really a great win, nice crowd and they were into it.

GBGBGJ
            If you judge him by his sideline demeanor, I can see why some might think Sutton wines and cries. Most opposing fans would say the same about Nagy or any other coach.

However, I think I've watched just about every post game from Sutton at frost over the last 3-4 years. He is always humble, honest, and complimentary of the opponent.

I'm going to miss having ORU in the conference, it is a shame to lose them.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Every coach contests and argues...or they wouldn't be coaching. Nagy stomps...AJ stomps. Stig even gives refs an earful. As for the overrated chant. Who cares. You are talking about college kids. I also agree that the knowledgeable fans were referring to ORU's Mid-Major ranking. It could have been worse....there could have been no college kids there at all. I really can't believe it is even a discussion.

It was a great game. Nate Nated and Dykstra showed what he is capable of (again). We might lose the Sportsmanship award(Oh the horror!)
              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

It was disappointing to see Morrison get his fifth foul. Personally Morrison and Roundtree are two of the best in the Summit but lets not leave out Wolters and some of the other Jacks who have made a great impact this season. Its amazing how ORU is able to recruit players of this caliber. The name Sutton is worth something and helps when you get those two to sign a letter of intent. Tyler mentioned that their rotation is 9 players so a few more injuries could make ORU a loser in the first round in SF.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                  Every coach contests and argues...or they wouldn't be coaching. Nagy stomps...AJ stomps. Stig even gives refs an earful. As for the overrated chant. Who cares. You are talking about college kids. I also agree that the knowledgeable fans were referring to ORU's Mid-Major ranking. It could have been worse....there could have been no college kids there at all. I really can't believe it is even a discussion.

It was a great game. Nate Nated and Dykstra showed what he is capable of (again). We might lose the Sportsmanship award(Oh the horror!)
                  I agree, the coach is the spokesman for the team and often they are bashed for their behaviour. The over rated chant was not cool nor was the left right left right when Morrison fouled out. I guess I am getting to the grandpa stage of life which makes one think this way. Most if not all these guys would not qualify for the Earned Income Credit, if they were single and made only 13k a year. They must be 25 to qualify. Its the taxman in me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Most if not all these guys would not qualify for the Earned Income Credit, if they were single and made only 13k a year. They must be 25 to qualify. Its the taxman in me.
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Jacks played a better game and I think SDSU is the better team. ORU has some talented guys, especially on the offensive end. They are fairly long and very quick, that zone is impressive. I think SDSU matches up well, just enough inside presence, great guard play and penetration from Nate and excellent ball movement that almost always results in an open look. Add to that the defensive intensity SDSU showed early and the rebounding and you get a win, a very impressive win.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Jacks played a better game and I think SDSU is the better team. ORU has some talented guys, especially on the offensive end. They are fairly long and very quick, that zone is impressive. I think SDSU matches up well, just enough inside presence, great guard play and penetration from Nate and excellent ball movement that almost always results in an open look. Add to that the defensive intensity SDSU showed early and the rebounding and you get a win, a very impressive win.
                        I am no sure if there is a clear cut "better team." Both SDSU and ORU held court at home against one another, just like good teams are supposed to do. All I know is that I love watching these two teams play up to their potential. Although, I am sure that both teams would rather face someone else in Sioux Falls for a trip to the big dance since they are both so close that it could go anyway...

It is just too bad that ORU is leaving the conference as SDSU begins it's climb back into the top tier. I think that it would be a very, very fun rivalry for years to come.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Thought we played great last night, glad I got to witness it in person. Great defensive intensity all around.

On another note, I went and read some posts on the ORU board. They are complaining about the flagrant foul call and how it always happens to them in the "Dakotas." That was all on Pearson. He goes up and tries to dunk it, completely out of control, and Griff simply goes for the block. Not Griff's fault Pearson came at the hoop out of control. Stupid play on Pearson's part.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                            Oral Roberts players are a reflection of their Coach....wine and cry.
                            Really? He seemed pretty humbled in the presser. Gave credit to SDSU for playing a good game multiple times and said they gave more than ORU. I didn't get the impression that he was a whiner at all.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                              Thought we played great last night, glad I got to witness it in person. Great defensive intensity all around.

On another note, I went and read some posts on the ORU board. They are complaining about the flagrant foul call and how it always happens to them in the "Dakotas." That was all on Pearson. He goes up and tries to dunk it, completely out of control, and Griff simply goes for the block. Not Griff's fault Pearson came at the hoop out of control. Stupid play on Pearson's part.
                              I read the same. My guess is those commenting on it never actually watched the game.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Griff did nothing flagrant. His intention was to contest the shot and he did. I think the young man might have wiped out even without Griff contesting the shot. I hope he is okay and I am sure Griff feels the same way. No way he should hang his head about that play, no way.

Great win, no time to waste celebrating it, Nagy said as much post game. SUU is in town tomorrow, need to win out, get a top seed and sweep the Summit League tourney.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X