Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bracketology

I can't think of a good way to ask this so bear with me. I know the sites are already predetermined but are the seeds that are playing at those sites? In other words is it known what seeds will be playing in Omaha? I could see SDSU getting into a 4 v 13 game with Wichita St in Omaha if that is possible.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Columbus Ohio works for me about 4.5 hour drive, Louisville KY about 7.5 Pittsburgh 5.5

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
        I can't think of a good way to ask this so bear with me. I know the sites are already predetermined but are the seeds that are playing at those sites? In other words is it known what seeds will be playing in Omaha? I could see SDSU getting into a 4 v 13 game with Wichita St in Omaha if that is possible.
        Generally they get local top line teams. So assume Kansas will be there. Most think they are a 1 or a 2 so that means a 1/16, 2/15, 8/9, 7/10

The other one depends, do they put Missouri in Omaha, or do they ship them out to Nashville, then is it Creighton? Kansas State? Depends on all those things. If you can tell me who the top line team is then you can figure out if seed wise it is possible. Most have SDSU as a 13 seed

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          Generally they get local top line teams. So assume Kansas will be there. Most think they are a 1 or a 2 so that means a 1/16, 2/15, 8/9, 7/10

The other one depends, do they put Missouri in Omaha, or do they ship them out to Nashville, then is it Creighton? Kansas State? Depends on all those things. If you can tell me who the top line team is then you can figure out if seed wise it is possible. Most have SDSU as a 13 seed

Creighton wouldnt be able to play in Omaha.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
            Creighton wouldnt be able to play in Omaha.
            I knew that

Comment

Ok that makes some sense. One other question. I thought they said they have 16 sites around the country for the opening weekend. If that is the case wouldn't they put 1 of the top 4 seeds at each site? This would mean a site would have to have one of the following combinations of teams.

1/16 & 8/9
              2/15 & 7/10
              3/14 & 6/11
              4/13 & 5/12

If there were only 8 sites wouldn't they put the 1/16 with the 4/13 and the 2/15 with the 3/14? i have never paid attention to how they do this but my analytical mind is trying to break down all the options that could possibly allow me to take a day off and drive to omaha to catch a game.
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

They're going to have to ship some high seeds out west. We're hurting out here. The highest-projected seed west of Texas is UNLV at a 5-seed. The PAC-12 is awful this year and the MWC doesn't get much respect from the folks on either coast.

BTW -- There are 8 sites. And each site can host opening games for different regions. I went in 2009 here in Boise and we had a 3-14 and a 6-11 from one region as well as a 5-12 and a 4-13 from another region. They seem to to what they can to host nearby teams. Utah State and Montana have been here. Poor Marquette barely survived what was essentially a home game for Utah State.

Comment

So here are the 8 sites...
                  Albuquerque, Portland
                  Pittsburgh, Columbus
                  Louisville, Omaha
                  Greensboro, Nashville

So the question is which is closest for the top 8 seeds?
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Maybe stated before but unless SDSU is a 15 or 16 seed they won't play in Omaha. Here are the seed matchups for Omaha:

West Bracket 7 vs 10
                    West Bracket 2 vs 15

Midwest Bracket 1 vs 16
                    Midwest Bracket 8 vs 9

The 16 seed is a play in game and can't see that fitting SDSU...plus the winner gets Kansas. I think they'll be higher than a 15 seed. Many project 13 seed and here are the sites for 13 seed:

South Bracket Albuquerque (this is a play in game and not likely)
                    East Bracket Portland
                    West Bracket Nashville
                    Midweat Bracket Portland

If they are a 13 seed count on them heading to Portland.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
                      Maybe stated before but unless SDSU is a 15 or 16 seed they won't play in Omaha. Here are the seed matchups for Omaha:

West Bracket 7 vs 10
                      West Bracket 2 vs 15

Midwest Bracket 1 vs 16
                      Midwest Bracket 8 vs 9

The 16 seed is a play in game and can't see that fitting SDSU...plus the winner gets Kansas. I think they'll be higher than a 15 seed. Many project 13 seed and here are the sites for 13 seed:

South Bracket Albuquerque (this is a play in game and not likely)
                      East Bracket Portland
                      West Bracket Nashville
                      Midweat Bracket Portland

If they are a 13 seed count on them heading to Portland.
                      I didn't realize the seed matchups tied to a site location were decided prior to the teams being placed in the bracket? Good information to know...
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                        Gottlieb just said ORU should get in as an at-large if they lose in the finals on College Gameday. Katz picked JackrabOabits to win the tournament. The other dude said SOS is going to hurt them but Gottlieb made a good point about if Tennessee gets in so does ORU. Tennessee lost to Oakland and ORU beat Oakland twice. I guess this debate isn't over yet...

Doug Gottlieb will lobby for ORU because he played college ball at Oklahoma State for a head coach named Eddie Sutton....father of Scott Sutton.

Comment

There is a minimum of 14 teams, all from "single-bid" conferences that will have worse RPI's than the Jacks. Jacks are the worst of the next group of champs, if the best in the conference wins, per today's RPI. Washington is not the best in the PAC-12, RPI-wise, although they are the #1 seed.

If I am splitting this up (NCAA nitty-gritty), Jacks should be in the mix for a 13 or 12 seed, depending on how the last at-larges get mixed with auto-bid winners.

PAC-12 will be lucky if the committee grabs two from PAC-12. Which they will likely do since it is a BCS league.

Comment

This guy is tracking a whole boatload of bracket predictions.

Consensus seems to have SDSU smack dab in the middle between a 13 and a 14.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Heard something today about a bunch of mathmeticians from EROS have figured SDSU playing Notre Dame in Omaha. Don't know what seed that makes us but I guess we can bounce this against Lunardi and see where it goes.
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                                Heard something today about a bunch of mathmeticians from EROS have figured SDSU playing Notre Dame in Omaha. Don't know what seed that makes us but I guess we can bounce this against Lunardi and see where it goes.
                                Doubt it ... Omaha most likely won't happen. But ESPN has San Diego St playing there....that would be funny SDSU vs. SDSU....really screw with ESPN's mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X