Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bracketology

Originally posted by witness View Post
    What do you guys think. I know this is a long shot but what if the Jacks in out in the regular season and barely lose in the championship game to OR and UW wins the PAC-12 would the Summit be a 2-bid year for this time.
    I doubt it.... when it happens we will have the discussion, but I think the key is to win 3 games in a row at the Arena.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
      Actually the most like scenerio to get two teams in is have ORU tied for the regular season at 17-1, and the other team win the tourney, and ORU gets in for their win over Xavier and TAMU.

Jacks have ONLY the "quality win" vs Washington. And the bad loss to UND in OOC. Only ORU has a possiblity of getting top 50 as the win over the Big12 and A-10 teams can boost.

Washington, and the PAC 12, aren't looking to get many teams in this season. Using the same bracketology, only two PAC-12 teams, in Joe's guess. MoValley puts in 3 in same estimate. I'll note that only Mizzou St plays football. Wichita St. and Creighton don't.

I think it was Texas Tech that Oral Roberts beat, not Texas A&M. They are both terrible so it doesnt matter.

Comment

The only way the Summit gets two teams in is if the team that loses the championship game is just outside the top 25 (say 25-30) in RPI, and that's not going to happen.

Comment

Has the Summit ever had a mens team in the NIT?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            The only way the Summit gets two teams in is if the team that loses the championship game is just outside the top 25 (say 25-30) in RPI, and that's not going to happen.
            If Summit is top 10 in RPI this year than its a better chance that you think. VCU had an RPI of 51 last year, UAB was 31. A-10 was a three team bid last year and its conference rank was only 9. CAA had 3 bids and only had an RPI rank of 10. C-USA had an RPI of 11 and still got 2 bids. Im not saying that it will happen as I am not worried about the Jacks losing but I just created an idea/possibility and you guys just shot it down. However with all that said the Jacks should and will win it the tourney and if they dont it will be a dissapointment
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Has the Summit ever had a mens team in the NIT?
              ORU in 2005. They were also invited in 1997 - that is the year they joined the Summit. Not sure if they joined before or after the basketball season.

Comment

I think the only possible way for the Summit to get 2 teams in would be for ORU or SDSU to run the table and then lose in the conference championship. In that scenario, either team would finish around 28-5 with 2 quality wins. In our case Washington and bracketbuster and in ORU's case Xavier and bracketbuster.

I'm not sure it would work for NDSU, because at this point they don't have a signature win. They could finish with only 4 losses under my scenario, but they would need to absolutely blow out someone in the bracketbuster game to get more attention. Sadly enough for the Summit, I'm not sure that 28 wins without a conference championship would even get you a play in game. I think a 20 win, 7th place team out of the Big Ten/Pac Ten/SEC/ACC/Big East etc will always get the nod first.

Comment

If Summit is top 10 in RPI this year than its a better chance that you think. VCU had an RPI of 51 last year, UAB was 31. A-10 was a three team bid last year and its conference rank was only 9. CAA had 3 bids and only had an RPI rank of 10. C-USA had an RPI of 11 and still got 2 bids. Im not saying that it will happen as I am not worried about the Jacks losing but I just created an idea/possibility and you guys just shot it down. However with all that said the Jacks should and will win it the tourney and if they dont it will be a dissapointment
                  As of today, Jan 4th, our conference RPI is 13th. Unfortunately, with our conference's strength of schedule at 22nd, we will only drop from here is my guess.

Comment

I think the Jacks would have had to win at least 2 of the 3 other BCS games (UNL, UGA, Gophers) for that to be a possibility. The Summit League just does not have the long-term history to get 2 teams in. Losing ORU will not help with that going forward.

Comment

Yeah, but the Summit's RPI peaked at 11. It won't be that high come the end of the season. There is some time to go before SL RPI will be that high at the end of a season.

And as I recall, VCU was one of the last four at larges, and there was no end of grousing about their selection.... And then they started winning games....

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        Yeah, but the Summit's RPI peaked at 11. It won't be that high come the end of the season. There is some time to go before SL RPI will be that high at the end of a season.And as I recall, VCU was one of the last four at larges, and there was no end of grousing about their selection.... And then they started winning games....
                        If Xavier and UW both win their conferences it could go higher. If jacks woulda beat UNL and the goofers I would have no doubt it my mind but jacks didn't however they are projected as a 13 seed and if they win out it will only go higher. Go jacks bball!

Comment

Part of the problem is that SDSU doesn't have the name recognition right now to get that fringe at large bid. If success can be sustained for multiple years, then the committee can start to defend their inclusion of two teams. The summit is a one bid league. Win and we are in. I will put the chances of two teams getting in at 0%.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

If Xavier and UW both win their conferences it could go higher. If jacks woulda beat UNL and the goofers I would have no doubt it my mind but jacks didn't however they are projected as a 13 seed and if they win out it will only go higher. Go jacks bball!
                            There is still bracketbusters as well....

Comment

It still baffles me today when SDSU girls was ranked in the national polls and had to play Baylor in a Texas regional and got a 7th seed at that. True travesty.
                              Let it go, man. Let it go. It'll eat you up inside.
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                                Let it go, man. Let it go. It'll eat you up inside.
                                Haha. I have let it go I just feel cheated as a fan. Everytime someone mentions it I feel cheated. O well theres always next time.

Comment

Working...
                                X