@ ORU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: @ ORU

Don't like how we are losing on Thursday nights. Are any of the tournament games played on Thursday? I hope not. We're unbeatable on Saturday. Centenary is going to get an extra special kerblastification!

I still believe there is going to be a positive finish to the saeson for this team. Just won't believe otherwise!

SUPERBUNNY

SUPERBUNNY[/QUOTE]

I don't know if you are serious about the tourney but it is Saturday or Sunday, Monday and Tuesday so there aren't any games on Thursday at the Summit League Tournament.

I do have to disagree a little with the Saturday statement though. They are playing better now but we started 0-4 in the Saturday doubleheaders @ home. At least the men came through against IPFW before both teams took care of Southern Utah. I think 3 of the 6 conference loses are from Saturday's.

I just saw an article on ESPN that talked about Centenary losing 29 straight games. I shouldn't have brought it up but they are making the news.
    Last edited by 91jack; 02-04-2011, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
      I don't know if you are serious about the tourney but it is Saturday or Sunday, Monday and Tuesday so there aren't any games on Thursday at the Summit League Tournament.

I do have to disagree a little with the Saturday statement though. They are playing better now but we started 0-4 in the Saturday doubleheaders @ home. At least the men came through against IPFW before both teams took care of Southern Utah. I think 3 of the 6 conference loses are from Saturday's.

I just saw an article on ESPN that talked about Centenary losing 29 straight games. I shouldn't have brought it up but they are making the news.
      Thanks for busting me on that.

I was kind of joking a bit about the Thursday thing. It just happens that we have been beat the last few Thursdays and then responded with very positive outings two days later on Saturday. Just coincidences but frustrating losses to be sure.

Nobody will be more disappointed than the coaches and the players and as I said above, I believe there will be a positive finish to the season. What that is I'm not sure but I think they will go out strong.

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
        Rebounds and free throws! Rebounds and free throws! Rebounds and free throws! Rebounds and free throws! Rebounds and free throws! Rebounds and free throws!

WE WERE THE BETTER TEAM LAST NIGHT BUT SNATCHED DEFEAT FROM THE JAWS OF VICTORY!

When we take care of those we are really good team and win. When we don't we are very average to poor and lose. Not rocket science! Its a matter of determination and effort. This team has the talent to be better than anyone in the league save Oakland. They need to take a cue from the effort Dale Moss has been putting out and get after it and then we will see how good they can become.

Don't like how we are losing on Thursday nights. Are any of the tournament games played on Thursday? I hope not. We're unbeatable on Saturday. Centenary is going to get an extra special kerblastification!

I still believe there is going to be a positive finish to the saeson for this team. Just won't believe otherwise!

SUPERBUNNY

SUPERBUNNY
        Couldn't agree more with your comment on Dale. This team needs to start playing with some more emotion. Other than Dale and Jordan, this team plays with no enthusiasm at all. Many of us sit and complain about the crowds in Frost and the lack of enthusiasm but doesn't it start with the players? This team and the teams of the last few years have no fire. It starts with introduction of the starting five when they all just kinda walk on out like it's no big deal. I'm not into shutting down the lights and firing up the disco ball, but a little excitment wouldn't hurt. It seems there is no energy unless Dale has a dunk or blocks a shot into the 3rd row. I would love to see Clint so much as pump a fist when he hits a big 3. If this is how it is going to be going forward, Frost will be a morgue when Dale is gone.

Nagy may be right when he said that Dale as figured out that he only has a few games left and doesn't want to have any regrets. I hope the rest of the team starts showing the same heart that he is and soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
          Couldn't agree more with your comment on Dale. This team needs to start playing with some more emotion. Other than Dale and Jordan, this team plays with no enthusiasm at all. Many of us sit and complain about the crowds in Frost and the lack of enthusiasm but doesn't it start with the players? This team and the teams of the last few years have no fire. It starts with introduction of the starting five when they all just kinda walk on out like it's no big deal. I'm not into shutting down the lights and firing up the disco ball, but a little excitment wouldn't hurt. It seems there is no energy unless Dale has a dunk or blocks a shot into the 3rd row. I would love to see Clint so much as pump a fist when he hits a big 3. If this is how it is going to be going forward, Frost will be a morgue when Dale is gone.

Nagy may be right when he said that Dale as figured out that he only has a few games left and doesn't want to have any regrets. I hope the rest of the team starts showing the same heart that he is and soon.
          I've seen Sargent do several fist pumps throughout the year, not sure if I've seen one at a home game though. Maybe you should check out video of all the games, rather than just going off what you see when you make it to the home games.

I doubt very much that Frost will be a morgue after Dale leaves. Nate Wolters around for two more years will have a lot to do with that. Oddly enough, Nate is probably the least emotional guy on the team.

How are you related to Dale?

Comment

Originally posted by ViciousCircle View Post
            I've seen Sargent do several fist pumps throughout the year, not sure if I've seen one at a home game though. Maybe you should check out video of all the games, rather than just going off what you see when you make it to the home games.

I doubt very much that Frost will be a morgue after Dale leaves. Nate Wolters around for two more years will have a lot to do with that. Oddly enough, Nate is probably the least emotional guy on the team.

You've seen Clint do several....but none at home? Doesn't that kind of prove Jackbacker's point? (I would like to see a video link of a Sargent fist pump before I believe it myself). Not that my worthless opinion matters, but I also believe the team plays with too little emotion. It can be a fine line though. Too much emotion can be a detriment.
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
              You've seen Clint do several....but none at home? Doesn't that kind of prove Jackbacker's point? Not that my worthless opinion matters, but I also believe the team plays with too little emotion. It can be a fine line though. Too much emotion can be a detriment.
              Not really, He/She said they need to play with emotion and called out one player on it. I was responding to the point that he/she would like to see him do a fist pump, which he has done.

Quote me correctly, I didn't say he hasn't done one at a home game, I said I'm not sure if he has done one at home. I do know of several at road games.

I think a lot of people on this board throw playing with emotion directly in with playing hard. You can play hard with out jumping around, fist pumping and running your mouth after a good play. That can be all good and great, but it's not necessary. I think the guys play hard, but not many of them feel they need to show actions after making that play.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                You've seen Clint do several....but none at home? Doesn't that kind of prove Jackbacker's point? (I would like to see a video link of a Sargent fist pump before I believe it myself). Not that my worthless opinion matters, but I also believe the team plays with too little emotion. It can be a fine line though. Too much emotion can be a detriment.
                Check out the UMKC game that was played down in Kansas City.

Comment

Not really, He/She said they need to play with emotion and called out one player on it. I was responding to the point that he/she would like to see him do a fist pump, which he has done.

Quote me correctly, I didn't say he hasn't done one at a home game, I said I'm not sure if he has done one at home. I do know of several at road games.

I think a lot of people on this board throw playing with emotion directly in with playing hard. You can play hard with out jumping around, fist pumping and running your mouth after a good play. That can be all good and great, but it's not necessary. I think the guys play hard, but not many of them feel they need to show actions after making that play.
                  Excellent post.
                  Three observations:
                  1. It's great there are arguments on this board on topics lke this. Shows that realistic expectations of success are back for a proud program. We expect to win now; big, big difference from just a scant two years ago.
                  2. Division I is a whole new ballgame and we can't expect 25-4 until the cows come home No disrespect intended, but this is not a two-hour bus ride to Mankato to cash in an expected win against a perennially inferior D-II opponent. ORU is a good basketball team. We're young.
                  3. The veterans who have hung in there through the thinnest of times deserve a break. One of them is one of the best pure shooters we've ever had. He has helped the Jacks make quantum leaps to a pretty solid foundation. He's been a good citizen, he has not jumped ship, he's worn the colors pretty darned well for four years. He's probably had plenty of emotions through the years as an 18- and 19-year old, too.
                  Big Picture might be worth another glance here.

Comment

This beautiful thing about any program is that it's BIGGER than any one player. So to think that Frost is going to be a morgue once Dale isn't dunking or blocking shots is quite a reach for anyone to make a statement like that.

This isn't all star wrestling. Players are who they are in terms of their personalities. Just because they aren't pumping fists, waving their arms in the air, or slapping the floor (Duke reference), doesn't mean they aren't excited or pumped up. I will agree that it's fun to see a player or two from time to time pump a fist or show their excitement. It's a game, they should enjoy it and express their emotions at times.

I'm not saying anyone on this board said they'd rather have one or the other, but I'd rather have a player show less emotion and put up consistent numbers night in and night out than not bring the same thing to the table every night and pump fists.

Comment

I have a suspicion that a major part of our problem with playing at home is that--overtly or not--the coaching staff tries to "keep the team from getting too excited" or some such thing. So more often than not we see a team that on the road comes out and "just plays" and that at home we see a team that comes out and plays a bit flat--maybe trying too hard to play "under control" and "not let the emotions take control of them."

That's my theory. If you don't like it, I can have others . . .
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

For the record, I'm not related to Dale. Also, I have seen every game this year, either in person or on the internet.

My point about Dale's energy and emotion are the same things Nagy has been talking about after the last 3 or 4 games. I was wrong to single out Clint, what I should of said is the whole team with the exception of Jordan. I don't think they need to be running their mouths off after every good play, but you don't agree that a little emotion would be nice? Have you been to a home game this year? There is a reason there is a thread out there that talks about the crowd. I sit with several people who have been going to Jacks games for 20+ years, and all of them make the same comments, Frost is way too laid back and quiet. I personally think that part of the reason for this is the personalities of the players. This is just my opinion but I can't wait for the day when Frost actually is a home court advantage again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
                          For the record, I'm not related to Dale. Also, I have seen every game this year, either in person or on the internet.

My point about Dale's energy and emotion are the same things Nagy has been talking about after the last 3 or 4 games. I was wrong to single out Clint, what I should of said is the whole team with the exception of Jordan. I don't think they need to be running their mouths off after every good play, but you don't agree that a little emotion would be nice? Have you been to a home game this year? There is a reason there is a thread out there that talks about the crowd. I sit with several people who have been going to Jacks games for 20+ years, and all of them make the same comments, Frost is way too laid back and quiet. I personally think that part of the reason for this is the personalities of the players. This is just my opinion but I can't wait for the day when Frost actually is a home court advantage again.
                          I think the problem with the crowd boils down to "once burned, twice shy."

I think a lot of people in the crowd don't get loud because they don't think it will do any good.

Specifically, I think the double-header losses to NDSU early in the season just put a stake through the collective hearts of the basketball fans in Frost Arena, and for the most part, they've never really recovered from that. Those were games where the crowd did try to drag both teams over the finish line, and couldn't get it done.

I think the season for both teams turned on those two games on that night, to be honest. Win those games, and the whole atmosphere around both teams would IMHO be completely different (better) than it is now.

(Dang, that's a lot of thinking. I gotta go lie down.)
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Old Titan View Post
                            Ah, where to start?

You guys could have won this one. ORU hasn't played defense in a month, and based on surrendering 42 points in the first half of this one at home, they were ripe for the picking. Crowd was paltry due to record-breaking 20" snowfall two days ago. Students were there in full force but were mysteriously uniterested in the game - cabin fever? Refs, despite what a couple of you whiners would like to think, were absolutely no factor either way. ORU had NO ONE who would/could contain Wolters on drives to the hole. I LOVE that kid! He should have had the ball in his hands the final two minutes to simply create. Instead, Callahan and Co. panicked and starting firing 3's just halfway into the shot clock of a 1-point game. If we draw you guys in Sioux Falls, you win by 10 IF Wolters is allowed to do his thing. If he doesn't, it's on him and/or Nagy, 'cause that kid is really special. Meanwhile, we look capable of beating OR losing to anyone remaining on our schedule, and that includes Centenary in Shreveport in a couple of weeks...
                            This is a very good TEAM! They fell short at ORU. The last minute Griff was put in to help score a 3. His was right there but didn't go in. He did not go off in panic. He was trying to help make something happen and so was Clint. Nate was 0-6 for 3 pointers, Griff was 2-4, Clint was 1-6. For the road trip these guys had to get there, I was proud of them for playing like they did! Everyone is going to make mistakes and have off nights, but it is a TEAM that will help when those things happen! Not just one player! This TEAM knows it has a lot of potential! They have a lot of heart! They need to stay focused as a TEAM, and remember what can happen when all things fall into place! They have what it takes to
                            upset teams, they have what it takes to take this season as far as the TEAM wants to go!
                            Let's win to night guys! I know THE JACKRABBITS can do it together!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              I think the problem with the crowd boils down to "once burned, twice shy."

I think a lot of people in the crowd don't get loud because they don't think it will do any good.

Specifically, I think the double-header losses to NDSU early in the season just put a stake through the collective hearts of the basketball fans in Frost Arena, and for the most part, they've never really recovered from that. Those were games where the crowd did try to drag both teams over the finish line, and couldn't get it done.

I think the season for both teams turned on those two games on that night, to be honest. Win those games, and the whole atmosphere around both teams would IMHO be completely different (better) than it is now.

(Dang, that's a lot of thinking. I gotta go lie down.)
                              Agree. Good post.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

One night early in the season determines how the crowd will respond the rest of the season? I cannot agree with that statement. Your comment doesn't say much for the people who attend games at Frost.

Comment

Working...
                                X