@ ORU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: @ ORU

I agree wholeheartedly that a crowd can inspire a team when they need a little extra boost in a close game. But lets be realistic - if a Div.I athlete needs crowd reaction to get them prepared and inspired to play on a game-to-game basis,perhaps they shouldn't be a Div.I athlete. I would hope if the Jacks would play a game in an empty arena,that they would still be ready to play. And we have played some of our better games on the road,where there was no crowd support. It may be time to look for reasons why the team seems to often play better on the road - less distractions,more togetherness,better mental prep ???

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
      One night early in the season determines how the crowd will respond the rest of the season? I cannot agree with that statement. Your comment doesn't say much for the people who attend games at Frost.
      I don't buy into that either. Was it a downer? You bet! But a season altering loss? No way!

IMHO, the crowd was flat that night as well. Sure, it was louder than the others but for a rivalry it was pretty quiet. A player looking at the crowd and raising thier hands to get them going would probably go a long way. It would show the crowd that it is what the players want. I'd love to see Dale (or anyone else) looking at the blue seats with a pissed off look in their eyes raising their arms and saying "let's go!". It might just work!

Since we are in a thread about a road game to ORU, let's bring it back on topic. The Jacks gave them a good game. Yes, we should have won it. The blueprint is there for both how to beat us and what we need to do to win EVERY game. No need for anyone to tie a cinder block to their leg and jump off a bridge! Win the battle on the glass, win the game!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        I agree wholeheartedly that a crowd can inspire a team when they need a little extra boost in a close game. But lets be realistic - if a Div.I athlete needs crowd reaction to get them prepared and inspired to play on a game-to-game basis,perhaps they shouldn't be a Div.I athlete. I would hope if the Jacks would play a game in an empty arena,that they would still be ready to play. And we have played some of our better games on the road,where there was no crowd support. It may be time to look for reasons why the team seems to often play better on the road - less distractions,more togetherness,better mental prep ???
        I always love the "Your a D1 athlete argument". People who think that need to wake up!

-Why do they figure the home field in the NFL is worth at least 3 points when they make the lines.
        -Why are some places considered tougher to play in than others?
        -Isn't it more fun to go watch a game in an atmosphere that is electric?
        -If you were a college player where would you want to play? A place that has that "home court buzz" or a place were the noise dosn't hinder your communication with your teammates?
        -Ask a former player from the D2 days if it made a difference? You bet your ass it did but they were only D2 athletes after all.

We wonder why other teams come into our gym and shoot lights out? The atmosphere is a part of that! It can inspire the home team and destroy an opponent.

Jacks fans can still make it a home court advantage. Its been that way in the WNIT. Its been that way in Sioux Falls. Let's do it! Or is the problem that we're now D1 fans that are above making noise enough to make Frost Arena a tough place to play?

Off rant! Not meaning to single you out bigticket1, you're a good poster but that argument drives me berzerk!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Last year after we lost a couple of games at Frost, there were complaints here that the players weren't running to the scorers table fast enough. lol
          Today, we need more fist pumps. awesome

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            I always love the "Your a D1 athlete argument". People who think that need to wake up!

-Why do they figure the home field in the NFL is worth at least 3 points when they make the lines.
            -Why are some places considered tougher to play in than others?
            -Isn't it more fun to go watch a game in an atmosphere that is electric?
            -If you were a college player where would you want to play? A place that has that "home court buzz" or a place were the noise dosn't hinder your communication with your teammates?
            -Ask a former player from the D2 days if it made a difference? You bet your ass it did but they were only D2 athletes after all.

We wonder why other teams come into our gym and shoot lights out? The atmosphere is a part of that! It can inspire the home team and destroy an opponent.

Jacks fans can still make it a home court advantage. Its been that way in the WNIT. Its been that way in Sioux Falls. Let's do it! Or is the problem that we're now D1 fans that are above making noise enough to make Frost Arena a tough place to play?

Off rant! Not meaning to single you out bigticket1, you're a good poster but that argument drives me berzerk!

SUPERBUNNY
            I agree. Anyone who thinks that playing in front of a full house of loud cheering fans isn't worth something doesn't know what they are talking about. I would guess that if Austin Hanson were asked if there was difference between playing the U in front of 8k loud, excited fans and playing anyone else in front of 3k fans, he would say yes. I know using the U isn't a fair analogy but you get my point.

I also agree with bigticket about the fact the players need to be motivated to play no matter the setting. But I also think that some higher energy and excitement in Frost would have helped us in some of these close games that we lost. Is it as important as rebounding or playing defense, of course not, but I definitely think it could help.

Comment

One night early in the season determines how the crowd will respond the rest of the season? I cannot agree with that statement. Your comment doesn't say much for the people who attend games at Frost.
              People aren't robots.

This applies to fans every bit as much as it applies to players.

I can't count how many times I've been in Frost this year when the crowd has actually gotten up off their hinders and made some noise after a good offensive play (3 or dunk) and the opposing team comes right down and scores with relative ease.

There's a reason it's called "shutting the crowd up."
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

SUPERBUNNY
                No offense taken. I was in Frost for those WNIT games and know how a crowd can inspire a team. But if you could sit down with Nagy and AJ and get them to give a candid,not for publication list of the reasons why the teams have played poorly in a number of home games this year,I would bet that lack of crowd support would be far down the list.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  People aren't robots.

This applies to fans every bit as much as it applies to players.

I can't count how many times I've been in Frost this year when the crowd has actually gotten up off their hinders and made some noise after a good offensive play (3 or dunk) and the opposing team comes right down and scores with relative ease.

There's a reason it's called "shutting the crowd up."
                  Still can't agree with you filbert. Agree to disagree.

Comment

Still can't agree with you filbert. Agree to disagree.
                    I disagree with you, at least from a student perspective. If all of the students at that game would seen us beat NDSU and had a good time, I think more would have came back. Students are fickle that way.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Fickle fans...I don't disagree with you on that point. I get it that fans want something fun to cheer for. I do as well. Students can come out and have fun at games and be a part of the atmosphere whether the team is 20-0 or 10-10.

But the point being made that on that particular night vs NDSU fans felt they were disenchanted to some degree and that is a reason for Frost being unusually quiet the rest of the year is not something I can agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by bbalggc View Post
                        This is a very good TEAM! They fell short at ORU. The last minute Griff was put in to help score a 3. His was right there but didn't go in. He did not go off in panic. He was trying to help make something happen and so was Clint. Nate was 0-6 for 3 pointers, Griff was 2-4, Clint was 1-6. For the road trip these guys had to get there, I was proud of them for playing like they did! Everyone is going to make mistakes and have off nights, but it is a TEAM that will help when those things happen! Not just one player! This TEAM knows it has a lot of potential! They have a lot of heart! They need to stay focused as a TEAM, and remember what can happen when all things fall into place! They have what it takes to
                        upset teams, they have what it takes to take this season as far as the TEAM wants to go!
                        Let's win to night guys! I know THE JACKRABBITS can do it together!!!!!!!
                        We have a winner here!!!! People have been throwing the shooters under the bus for taking shots. I have an idea, let's just pass the ball around and let the shot clock expire. No one can get blamed for missing the shot. How many people would have complained a week ago about Clint taking a shot or taking a shot early in the shot clock? None. You teach your shooters to take a shot if you have it. Now, you want them to double think. If Nate, Clint, Griff, etc. are open, I want them taking the shot.
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Fickle fans...I don't disagree with you on that point. I get it that fans want something fun to cheer for. I do as well. Students can come out and have fun at games and be a part of the atmosphere whether the team is 20-0 or 10-10.

But the point being made that on that particular night vs NDSU fans felt they were disenchanted to some degree and that is a reason for Frost being unusually quiet the rest of the year is not something I can agree with.
                          I can promise you that that NDSU game had an effect on students. I agree that students CAN have fun whether the team is 20-0 or 10-10. However, the most recognizable team on the schedule every year is NDSU. Casual students get excited for the NDSU game, thus there is a higher student turnout for that game than any other conference game. If we would have won that game, more of those casual fans would have continued to come back for other games. Losing a game with the most casual fans in attendance greatly decreases the chances of those casual fans returning. It's just the way it is.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            I can promise you that that NDSU game had an effect on students. I agree that students CAN have fun whether the team is 20-0 or 10-10. However, the most recognizable team on the schedule every year is NDSU. Casual students get excited for the NDSU game, thus there is a higher student turnout for that game than any other conference game. If we would have won that game, more of those casual fans would have continued to come back for other games. Losing a game with the most casual fans in attendance greatly decreases the chances of those casual fans returning. It's just the way it is.
                            Thanks for explaining the student point of view. It's appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                              Excellent post! I'd give rep but I have to spread it around.

Whether you like it or not RO hits the nail right on the head for the attitude on campus. It is what it is! Remember, MOST of the students have never been exposed to a GREAT SDSU mens basketball team (except when they were in elementary school). The team is starting to rebuild that student fan base, but losing the close games at home to NDSU, ORU, and Oakland is not helping. We will get there, but what comes first, a rabid student fan base or a team that controls and owns its home court? Both of these things improving will help lure in the "casual" student fan and keep them coming back. Just my opinion as a recent graduate.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I know some think it sounds crazy, but I also agree that the disastrous NDSU night has been a factor in the crowd size and enthusiasm. I've heard several casual fans say they agree and they've not been back since that night. The same goes for those of us who have to drive several hours to get to games. It's natural to consider past results when deciding whether to make the trip in the future. I could have made the trip to a couple of recent thursday night games, but after enduring the NDSU and Oakland losses (same as last year), I hardly considered it.

On a semi-related note, this team needs a true big man. It will be a shame if they don't find one who can contribute before Wolters graduates. I don't think they will ever win consistently at this level if they have to rely so heavily on 3-point shooting. A guy who can post-up and get 10-12 inside points per game would be huge.

Comment

Working...
                                X