Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Crowd

Originally posted by StefaniGermanotta View Post
    I know the players are easily replaced I'm referring to the "crowd" which is what we're suppose to be talking about. Those two can be replaced in the sense of talent and winning but Dale's high flying acts that get 500 youtube hits in a day, probably can't be replaced and having him definitely increases fans in the seats.
    20 plus win seasons are pretty good at getting the butts in the seat along with having a better then 5-4 home confrence record.

I know which comes first the chicken or the egg, but the fans will be there when they are sold on the consistant qaulity of the product.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm not sure why were complaining about the crowd when we have had our best turnouts for men's game since being DII. As the years go on and we get better the attendance will continue to go up. Brookings residents grew up on great SDSU men's basketball and by the looks of it people are coming back to it. Think on the bright side it could be worse, just ask Centenary.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrab View Post
        I'm not sure why were complaining about the crowd when we have had our best turnouts for men's game since being DII. As the years go on and we get better the attendance will continue to go up. Brookings residents grew up on great SDSU men's basketball and by the looks of it people are coming back to it. Think on the bright side it could be worse, just ask Centenary.
        Not just the attendance numbers but the crowd effect. How the crowd is essentially a non factor.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

If you ever see a shirtless guy jumping around behind the hoop trying to distract the opposing teams free throw shooter, I got my season tickets.

Just sayin'.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

[QUOTE=RowdyRabbit;172923]If you ever see a shirtless guy jumping around behind the hoop trying to distract the opposing teams free throw shooter.

Don't forget, the teams change baskets at half time!

Comment

[QUOTE=Roy;172933]
              Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
              If you ever see a shirtless guy jumping around behind the hoop trying to distract the opposing teams free throw shooter.

Don't forget, the teams change baskets at half time!
              Yeah but the band is behind one hoop, so I'd naturally choose the opposite hoop, which also happens to be the hoop the opponent uses in the second half.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Maybe we don't have it so bad. Check out the # of fans at the game at IPFW last night. There's no one there for a game with two teams in the top half of the conference fighting for a higher seed. Pathetic! If I remember right we had over a thousand for a Monday night women’s game during a blizzard earlier this year.

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/sp...=SNS.analytics

Comment

Hello. Slosho pointed me in the direction of this thread and said it was something that would be worth me reading. I will say there are some interesting points on both sides of the discussion.

First, let me cover the matter of the cheer video the other night and the cheer team at the game. This is the first year that my fiance and I have coached the SDSU team and we have seen a lot of growth in the student athletes on the team ourselves. This is also the first year the SDSU Cheerleading squad has participated in cheerleading competition. They worked their butts off putting together a competition routine this season and competed in Sioux Falls. They ended up placing 2nd behind an Iowa college that has been competing nationally for years.

We were slated to perform this routine at a basketball game recently, but we were informed the day of the game that we would be unable to perform the routine at the game. Apparently the mats the team uses for practices and performances leave a fine dust on the floor and cause the basketball players to fall. This dust is also apparently not able to be cleaned using standard dust mops. I guess the only way to clean the dust off the floor is to use the mini "Zamboni" the school has, which takes about a half hour.

Thus, we had to pre-record the competition routine so the SDSU home crowd could see how hard they worked this year on the routine. Judging by the posts on this thread, this video was not well received. The general goal of this was to show where the team has come based on the current trend for Division I cheerleading teams.

On the matter of crowd participation at both the basketball and football games. I understand your concerns, but I also agree with those saying our crowd could use some work. After reading the thread here I do have some new ideas we will plan to introduce even as soon as the Summit League tournament this year. I will say however, as a former cheerleader at SDSU and Minnesota, that you can cheer your butt off for roughly a half of a basketball game before the fact that no one in the crowd stands to cheer with you and/or support you and the team on the floor gets to you and it brings even the most "cheery" cheerleader down. I have been told that there are certain fans sitting next to the cheerleaders at basketball games who heckle the cheerleaders and tell them how terrible they are no matter what they do. This is disappointing to me. Even if you think the cheerleaders are not doing enough, I would hope that fans would try to convey to them, as with Jacks #1 Fan, what you would like from them.

I hope this thought is passed along to friends that the people on this board have. Also, Jacks #1 Fan, on the matter of the State Cadence, I understand you wanting it sped up so it is more motivating. The cheerleaders passed along your thoughts both times you spoke with them and we will have it corrected for Summit League.

As well, the cheerleaders have been at every game this year, almost. I will take credit for the ones they missed this season and will correct it next year as I will be working in town instead of Sioux Falls.

Anyone else who would like to see something further out of the cheerleaders can feel free to get a hold of me either somewhere on this board or come and find us at the basketball games. We sit in the corner of the student section in the front row closest to the cheer team.

I hope this doesn't come across as upset. I understand your concerns and am only looking to help the cheerleaders learn to love what they do as much as we have, and improve your game experience as much as we can.

Thanks.
                  "My heart and my soul will be the fuel to carry my body when my limbs are too weary!" - Coach Flowers, Leland High School

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks_Cheer_Coach View Post
                    Hello. Slosho pointed me in the direction of this thread and said it was something that would be worth me reading. I will say there are some interesting points on both sides of the discussion.

First, let me cover the matter of the cheer video the other night and the cheer team at the game. This is the first year that my fiance and I have coached the SDSU team and we have seen a lot of growth in the student athletes on the team ourselves. This is also the first year the SDSU Cheerleading squad has participated in cheerleading competition. They worked their butts off putting together a competition routine this season and competed in Sioux Falls. They ended up placing 2nd behind an Iowa college that has been competing nationally for years.

We were slated to perform this routine at a basketball game recently, but we were informed the day of the game that we would be unable to perform the routine at the game. Apparently the mats the team uses for practices and performances leave a fine dust on the floor and cause the basketball players to fall. This dust is also apparently not able to be cleaned using standard dust mops. I guess the only way to clean the dust off the floor is to use the mini "Zamboni" the school has, which takes about a half hour.

Thus, we had to pre-record the competition routine so the SDSU home crowd could see how hard they worked this year on the routine. Judging by the posts on this thread, this video was not well received. The general goal of this was to show where the team has come based on the current trend for Division I cheerleading teams.

On the matter of crowd participation at both the basketball and football games. I understand your concerns, but I also agree with those saying our crowd could use some work. After reading the thread here I do have some new ideas we will plan to introduce even as soon as the Summit League tournament this year. I will say however, as a former cheerleader at SDSU and Minnesota, that you can cheer your butt off for roughly a half of a basketball game before the fact that no one in the crowd stands to cheer with you and/or support you and the team on the floor gets to you and it brings even the most "cheery" cheerleader down. I have been told that there are certain fans sitting next to the cheerleaders at basketball games who heckle the cheerleaders and tell them how terrible they are no matter what they do. This is disappointing to me. Even if you think the cheerleaders are not doing enough, I would hope that fans would try to convey to them, as with Jacks #1 Fan, what you would like from them.

I hope this thought is passed along to friends that the people on this board have. Also, Jacks #1 Fan, on the matter of the State Cadence, I understand you wanting it sped up so it is more motivating. The cheerleaders passed along your thoughts both times you spoke with them and we will have it corrected for Summit League.

As well, the cheerleaders have been at every game this year, almost. I will take credit for the ones they missed this season and will correct it next year as I will be working in town instead of Sioux Falls.

Anyone else who would like to see something further out of the cheerleaders can feel free to get a hold of me either somewhere on this board or come and find us at the basketball games. We sit in the corner of the student section in the front row closest to the cheer team.

I hope this doesn't come across as upset. I understand your concerns and am only looking to help the cheerleaders learn to love what they do as much as we have, and improve your game experience as much as we can.

Thanks.
                    You didn't. I was impressed with your answer. Very straight forward. I gained a lot of respect for the SDSU cheerleaders just from reading thsi post.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      You didn't. I was impressed with your answer. Very straight forward. I gained a lot of respect for the SDSU cheerleaders just from reading thsi post.
                      Likewise.

Being the person who brought up the video in the first place, I realized soon after I posted that I was being a hair harsh, and I apologize profusely for what I posted.

I do realize the cheerleaders work real hard to try to get us fans into it, and we, as fans probably need a lot more work than the cheerleaders.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                        Likewise.

Being the person who brought up the video in the first place, I realized soon after I posted that I was being a hair harsh, and I apologize profusely for what I posted.

I do realize the cheerleaders work real hard to try to get us fans into it, and we, as fans probably need a lot more work than the cheerleaders.
                        What I think it needs is communication to the cheers. Like #1 said, speed up the cadence, or fans to participate in the cheers. Its not so much the cheerleaders or fans, but the game athmosphere. At game the video intro is truly killing any pre game excitement.

At football, why not show the video well before the team is ready to run out, so the fans can start a cheer, something like nebraska does with their husker power. At nebraska they get into the game to start, we sit and watch a video and then ahh, there the team is right on the field running 50 yards trying to get the stadium jacked. Why not have the cheerleaders start with a Go Big Blue or Get Jacked chant as the team gets ready to run out during ring the bells.

When I was in the Pride what we did was march over from our practice lot, we would "sneak" into the stadium underneath. I know the band does not do that anymore, but Why not have the Team march, under the stadium, similar to ohio states arm lock thing, then run out in front of the students side again.

Basketball is different, but the idea that some minor changes could go a long way to get the crowd to feel more involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks_Cheer_Coach View Post

Thanks.
                          Great to read your excellent and thoughtful comments JCC! With an attitude like that, I know the Jackrabbit cheer team is in good hands. Hope we can, together, get more rousing support from those attending the games!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                            Great to read your excellent and thoughtful comments JCC! With an attitude like that, I know the Jackrabbit cheer team is in good hands. Hope we can, together, get more rousing support from those attending the games!
                            A good start would be to use the rooter king. Or bring back the cowbells. I think that is something we as fans and alumni really need to press the issue on. Letters sent weekly to the confrence, Tshirts to bring back the cowbell, build some interest back in getting, pardon the pun, but jacked during the game.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              A good start would be to use the rooter king. Or bring back the cowbells. I think that is something we as fans and alumni really need to press the issue on. Letters sent weekly to the confrence, Tshirts to bring back the cowbell, build some interest back in getting, pardon the pun, but jacked during the game.
                              The rooter king and cowbells are artificial noise makers which are not allowed per the conference and NCAA rules. It would be like driving 90 on I-29. We might get away with it once or twice, but eventually we get caught. Just ask our Congresswoman Noem.

My appreciation to the cheer coach and her comments. You handled it well. Also those court side people that are acting inappropiately, you should report them to the AD. People pay a premuim for the privlidge of setting in those seats. A certain decorum is expected when you occupy those seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                The rooter king and cowbells are artificial noise makers which are not allowed per the conference and NCAA rules. It would be like driving 90 on I-29. We might get away with it once or twice, but eventually we get caught. Just ask our Congresswoman Noem.

My appreciation to the cheer coach and her comments. You handled it well. Also those court side people that are acting inappropiately, you should report them to the AD. People pay a premuim for the privlidge of setting in those seats. A certain decorum is expected when you occupy those seats.
                                I have heard them at other college sporting events. I beleive its only during the game play that you cant use them. The rooter king during time outs or stop in the action is no different then the pep band. so easy fix let the pep band use it.

Comment

Working...
                                X