Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Crowd

Originally posted by goon View Post
    I have heard them at other college sporting events. I beleive its only during the game play that you cant use them. The rooter king during time outs or stop in the action is no different then the pep band. so easy fix let the pep band use it.
    A thousand times this.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I have been following this discussion and thanks to Jacks Cheer Coach for responding. Being a cheerleader is a tough job. I was a cheerleader too; many years ago when the meaning of the word "cheerleader" meant leading the crowd in cheers. I appreciate the explanation the cheerleaders have decided to do the competitive cheer thing. Because in my opinion that is when we lost the effectiveness of the cheerleader. This might be the first year the SDSU cheerleaders are doing the competitive cheer thing but the cheerleaders have all been groomed for it as I would guess most of them did it at the high school level. Cheerleaders today think their role is to perform and be watched but I think the true role of a cheerleader at a game is to lead cheers and get the crowd into the cheers. When the crowd is excited and on their feet the cheerleader needs to step out on the floor and do a simple, chanty type cheer. One that everyone knows, likes and can do together. Not something cutesy, clever and wordy. Or worse stand there and do nothing. They need to capitalize on the moment. Jacks Cheer Coach, you seem receptive to ideas and wanting to improve the cheer situation. It is not an easy job. Thanks and good luck. I am looking forward to cheering on the Jacks at the Summit League Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        The rooter king and cowbells are artificial noise makers which are not allowed per the conference and NCAA rules. It would be like driving 90 on I-29. We might get away with it once or twice, but eventually we get caught. Just ask our Congresswoman Noem.

My appreciation to the cheer coach and her comments. You handled it well. Also those court side people that are acting inappropiately, you should report them to the AD. People pay a premuim for the privlidge of setting in those seats. A certain decorum is expected when you occupy those seats.
        NCAA rules do not cover college athletic events that are not specifically sponsored by the NCAA--i.e. championships. The NCAA does prohibit artificial noisemakers at NCAA-sponsored events, it is true, but that does not apply to any regular-season SDSU game.

Conference rules . . . all I can say is that musical instruments are artificial noisemakers.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          NCAA rules do not cover college athletic events that are not specifically sponsored by the NCAA--i.e. championships. The NCAA does prohibit artificial noisemakers at NCAA-sponsored events, it is true, but that does not apply to any regular-season SDSU game.

Conference rules . . . all I can say is that musical instruments are artificial noisemakers.
          So does this give us a green light for cowbells at home games?

Comment

So does this give us a green light for cowbells at home games?
            The conference rules are that fans could not have artificial noisemaking devices.

It is a gray area whether or not cheerleaders, dance squads, mascots can use them when play is not occurring. If this is not explicitly prohibited, then it would be allowed. There's obviously provision for bands. Unfortunately, the conference rules are not readliy available to mere mortals like us.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The conference rules are that fans could not have artificial noisemaking devices.

It is a gray area whether or not cheerleaders, dance squads, mascots can use them when play is not occurring. If this is not explicitly prohibited, then it would be allowed. There's obviously provision for bands. Unfortunately, the conference rules are not readliy available to mere mortals like us.
              Thats why I am confused. It seems like when we were first admitted to the Summit League, we or shall I say, our formerAD and admin, wanted to be good guys and told us to put away our cow bells, but if we now can use them to get the crowd going, I do not have a problem with that. If UNI can rattle car keys I see no reason to put the cowbells away.

Comment

Thats why I am confused. It seems like when we were first admitted to the Summit League, we or shall I say, our formerAD and admin, wanted to be good guys and told us to put away our cow bells, but if we now can use them to get the crowd going, I do not have a problem with that. If UNI can rattle car keys I see no reason to put the cowbells away.
                The answer...plain and simple...is that NO artificial noisemakers are allowed by conference rule. In earlier years , there was some feeling that we could continue to use them...but that is not true. It is a conference rule and Commissioner Douple will be glad to fill you in on it. I rank cowbells for years (and in DII, NCC, we could ring them when the ball was NOT in play. That is not the rule, and IMO, the conference rule won't change, because other schools won't vote for it. My hand is deformed from holding a cowbell...I hate the rule...but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  The answer...plain and simple...is that NO artificial noisemakers are allowed by conference rule. In earlier years , there was some feeling that we could continue to use them...but that is not true. It is a conference rule and Commissioner Douple will be glad to fill you in on it. I rank cowbells for years (and in DII, NCC, we could ring them when the ball was NOT in play. That is not the rule, and IMO, the conference rule won't change, because other schools won't vote for it. My hand is deformed from holding a cowbell...I hate the rule...but it is what it is.

Not trying to be a smart alleck, but in this thread I first stated that cowbells were against conference rules, and Goon and others suggested otherwise. I guess I had it right the first time. If we value our membership in the Summit League, it would be best that we follow their rules.

Comment

Not trying to be a smart alleck, but in this thread I first stated that cowbells were against conference rules, and Goon and others suggested otherwise. I guess I had it right the first time. If we value our membership in the Summit League, it would be best that we follow their rules.
                    It is truly unfortunate that there isn't another way, aside from a cowbell, that a fan at a sporting event could make noise.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                      It is truly unfortunate that there isn't another way, aside from a cowbell, that a fan at a sporting event could make noise.
                      Everyone has a voice and two hands to clap, and I guess most are on a equal footing from the commissioner's point of view. A cowbell seems to give unfair advantage apparently, but I do not agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        The discussion was not, I believe, if fans could ring cowbells, but if cheerleaders or the mascot could.

At the risk of speaking for others, I think pretty much everybody understands that the conferences have prohibited artificial noisemakers for fans. Quite obviously, the presence of the band indicates that artificial noisemakers (i.e. musical instruments) are not banned.

At which point, I'd mildly point out that the cowbell is, in fact, a musical instrument. A percussion instrument, to be sure, but a musical instrument.

So, unless someone's actually seen the text of the conference rules in question, I think we (on the board at least) have a gray area here.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The discussion was not, I believe, if fans could ring cowbells, but if cheerleaders or the mascot could.

At the risk of speaking for others, I think pretty much everybody understands that the conferences have prohibited artificial noisemakers for fans. Quite obviously, the presence of the band indicates that artificial noisemakers (i.e. musical instruments) are not banned.

At which point, I'd mildly point out that the cowbell is, in fact, a musical instrument. A percussion instrument, to be sure, but a musical instrument.

So, unless someone's actually seen the text of the conference rules in question, I think we (on the board at least) have a gray area here.
                          Win the battle, loose the war. I can not dispute the fact of a gray area, but......

Comment

Not to mention megaphones that the male cheerleaders use. They yell through them, hit them with their hands, and bang them on the floor.

Solution: Send a letter to the conference stating plans to move the band to the east end of the gym right next to the opponents bench like Oakland has it. Also mention in the letter that each member of the band will be armed with a cowbell. Unless, of course, the league would like to clarify their rule and allow the mascot/cheerleaders to use a cowbell.

All it would take is one cowbell used at the right times, and the place would go bezerk. If I remember correctly, in the early 90's very few people had cowbells. One or two guys would bring them to games and ring them at appropriate times.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              All it would take is one cowbell used at the right times, and the place would go bezerk. If I remember correctly, in the early 90's very few people had cowbells. One or two guys would bring them to games and ring them at appropriate times.
                              Herein lies the problem. If they are used correctly, then I would be in favor of their reinstatement. I think that we all know that they wouldn't, and that is why fans are not allowed to have them. And, I don't think that you can trust the students in the band either.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                                Herein lies the problem. If they are used correctly, then I would be in favor of their reinstatement. I think that we all know that they wouldn't, and that is why fans are not allowed to have them. And, I don't think that you can trust the students in the band either.
                                The band knows it cant play during game action so it would be well aware of the rules. I think the band and cheerleaders should be able to use them, the rooter king is a cowbell that the band could use. When I was in college the (clapper?) broke so it had to be fixed but we used it at club hockey games and such and it went over really well obviously. Even if its only during the pregame and then taken away a locked up. Cheerleaders use equipement it should be fine to use cowbells IMO just classify them as cheer equipement, just like mega phones and shirt give aways and pompoms that they use.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X