2011 Recruiting List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Recruiting List

Potential player transfers from UNO that would fill some potential holes. Listed in order of players that would most help the team.

TE - Austin Wells - Junior - Norfolk, NE - 6'3" 248
    12 rec, 279 yds, 5 TD
    http://www.omavs.com/roster.aspx?rp_...&path=football
    (He'd only be eligible for 1 year but unless Sheehan gets a medical year, we are really short at TE)

MLB - Shaquil Barrett - Freshman - Omaha, NE - 6'1" 230
    82 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 8.5 Sacks, 3 FF
    (SDSU is flush with LBs but Barrett was only a freshman and was the team's best defensive player)

S - Trey Wilberger - Freshman - Scottsbulff, NE - 6'3" 200
    38 Tackles, 6 Passes Defensed
    (behind TE, Safety is the next thinnest spot. SDSU is already moving some CBs to Safety to try and help fill some voids. Wilberger could bring some starting experience)

CB - Bryan Shepherd - Freshman - Olathe, KS - 5'10" 175
    48 Tackles, 2 TFL, 2 INT, 14 Passes Defensed
    (Jacks are always looking for good CBs and Shepherd started as a freshman for UNO)

P - Jason Schlautman - Junior - Columbus, NE - 6'2" 197
    Averaged 40.3 per punt
    Only has 1 year left but if RFR Sawyer isn't quite ready, Schlautman could fill in for this season.

TE - Tim Semisch - Freshman - Omaha, NE - 6'8" 225

RB - James Franklin III - Freshman - Olathe, KS - 5-9, 175
    766 yds - 10 TD
    (Adding some depth to the RB wouldn't hurt. Might be able to convert to WR or CB as well. Put up good numbers for a freshman)

Comment

Adding a coach from UNO would probably encourage some players to follow.

Comment

There are a lot of good people (and athletes) at UNO but didn't we stop recruiting Div II players a few years ago? Second hand I heard that Stig said it was all about their (lack of) speed vs. Div I athletes?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          There are a lot of good people (and athletes) at UNO but didn't we stop recruiting Div II players a few years ago? Second hand I heard that Stig said it was all about their (lack of) speed vs. Div I athletes?
          yeah, but I think UNO gets some good recruits, it seems like every year there are a number of guys in the Omaha area who have the mentality UNL or UNO, and when UNL doesn't offer they end up at UNO.

As far as transfers though? IDK, I'm sure a couple would help the program, however adding a coach could help with recruitment in Omaha, seems like its a place where we get 1 or 2 a year but we could do better.

Comment

Menniga job has not been filled yet so I suspect we will get a few applicants from UNO. Maybe we could hire two. I don't think Behrns would fit in Stigs modi but I could be wrong. He will need a job too.

Comment

These kids might not be able to come in and be starters but they can help fill some holes and add depth. Plus, recruiting isn't an exact science. Former walk-on WR Hubert is now starting.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                These kids might not be able to come in and be starters but they can help fill some holes and add depth. Plus, recruiting isn't an exact science. Former walk-on WR Hubert is now starting.
                If they are going to cut the program, might the NCAA not waive the down time al la Hofstra?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                  If they are going to cut the program, might the NCAA not waive the down time al la Hofstra?
                  Probably, generally they do that, don't know if there is anything with transferring up (they are D-II right now). I still believe that they currently have to sit out a year, but I'm not sure.

Comment

I would think that most of our scholarship $ has been used up and that our roster is almost completed.. Too bad for the players that committed to play at UNO. Very unfortunate for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Some good football players on UNO team that could contribute to the Jacks. Kenny Onatolu of the Vikings and Zach Miller of Jacksonville graduated from UNO in the last couple of years.

Comment

I don't think you have to sit out a year if you transfer up from DII. Plus, I'm sure NCAA would allow it since their program got axed.

Comment

I don't think you have to sit out a year if you transfer up from DII. Plus, I'm sure NCAA would allow it since their program got axed.
                          I think students are allowed to transfer and be eligible immediately if the school they're coming from discontinues their sport.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You do have to sit out a year if you transfer up. But for this case the NCAA will most likely grant an exception for the players due the the school dropping the program like you said.

Comment

Add Dale Moss to WR list.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Ben Bucholz 6'8" 230 lbs QB from Perham, MN

Played 1 year of basketball at St. Cloud State and is now transferring to play football. Seems that SDSU is one of the front runners right now. Was recruited by NDSU, UND, & NSIC schools in high school for football. Unsure if NDSU or UND offerred.

Here's the story: http://www.lakesareasports.com/newsa...1011&nid=45311

Nothing wrong with adding another QB. Also, the last part of the article says he's a pre-veterinarian major, which will factor into his decision. SDSU would be a great fit for that.
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X