O'Brien or Crawford?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: O'Brien or Crawford?

Lets see, Crawford was 3-0 as a starter and SDSU averaged better than 41 points a game in those starts. He also had us tied at 7-7 at Cal Poly.

O'Brien is also 3-0 as a starter and the Jacks have averaged a little over 25 points a game in those starts.

Both guys have been great this season. I feel very confident with whoever Stig decides to put back there.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue View Post
      When Crawford plays, we run the ball. And we couldn't do that against UNI.
      Actually, no matter which QB is playing, we run the ball. Each QB has started three games, and in those three starts:

Crawford = 58.2% Run, 41.8% Pass
      TOB = 59.5% Run, 40.5% Pass

Though TOB did throw 37 passes in the UNI game (game high for Crawford has been 28), I wouldn't say that the coaching staff wouldn't have let Crawford do the same nor do I think Crawford couldn't have won us the UNI game as well (Crawford does have a higher completion % and efficiency rating). Not really advocating either's candidacy here, just pointing out that we are going to be running the ball no matter who is at QB.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Oh, goodness. Here we go again. How about some facts?

O'Brien has been tremendous, but Crawford was more efficient and the offense generated more yards and TDs in fewer plays with him on the field. So arguing that the coaches are only going back to the senior based on loyalty doesn't really hold up.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          Oh, goodness. Here we go again. How about some facts?

O'Brien has been tremendous, but Crawford was more efficient and the offense generated more yards and TDs in fewer plays with him on the field. So arguing that the coaches are only going back to the senior based on loyalty doesn't really hold up.
          Thanks for the stat comparison JimmyJack. Comparing stats in a situation like this is something we all are going to do, and it's fun to add it to the conversation. But something not listed in your stats and can't be measured (entirely) is that TOB played against and BEAT tougher competition, and in bigger games.

With that being said Crawford certainly did a very good job when he started and I have no doubt he will play well again. I just worry that we are riding such a bigtime wave right now that a quarterback change could change that. I didn't say it was going to...but it could.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
            Thanks for the stat comparison JimmyJack. Comparing stats in a situation like this is something we all are going to do, and it's fun to add it to the conversation. But something not listed in your stats and can't be measured (entirely) is that TOB played against and BEAT tougher competition, and in bigger games.

With that being said Crawford certainly did a very good job when he started and I have no doubt he will play well again. I just worry that we are riding such a bigtime wave right now that a quarterback change could change that. I didn't say it was going to...but it could.
            It wouldn't have mattered who was in at QB in the NDSU, Missouri St, or UNI game. Those games were won and dominated by our defense. In fact, had Crawford not gone down we would probably be undefeated right now. I love what TOB brings to the table, but to say that he is that much better that Crawford right now is wrong. Perhaps in a year he will be, but right now he is a RFr with tremendous upside.

If, for some reason, Crawford struggles in the first half on Saturday then maybe a change can be made. Until then, I give the guy who was good enough to win the job before the season. I, unlike what seems alot on these forums, trust the coaching staff.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              I love what TOB brings to the table, but to say that he is that much better that Crawford right now is wrong.
              I never said TOB was that much better than Crawford. What I said was that since we are riding this bigtime positive wave, why change? That's all I said. I also trust the staff.

Comment

I do not believe the number of posts on this topic this early in the AM. I say let the coaches coach and fans be a fan. Too bad coaches do not get the opportunity to second guess fans like fans second guess coaches. How would YOU like to have Shawn Mennega come up to you and tell you that you had too many hotdogs, plus you drank too many beers so you got to leave. I think I would leave as he is a big fellow.

Comment

I never said TOB was that much better than Crawford. What I said was that since we are riding this bigtime positive wave, why change? That's all I said. I also trust the staff.
                  I didn't mean to imply that you did. It just seems that there are some on this board that have that thought veiled in their posts.

We were riding a wave before Crawford got hurt too. I think that these big time positive waves have more to do with our defense than which option 1A or 1B is under center.

That being said, whomever is at QB, let's all go out and destroy the Penguins.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I think everybody was reacting to bigblue who said this:

Originally posted by bigblue View Post
                    To me this is probably the worst decision that could be made. ... I love the Jacks just as everyone else, but this is big time football and TOB is the future, and the future is NOW!
                    That's who I was responding to.
                    Last edited by JimmyJack; 10-27-2009, 02:45 PM.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Sounds like a good way to look at it....I like that!

Comment

What he said.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think some people need to go back and look at the thread from the Cal Poly game. Many people counted the UNI game as a loss and said we could have won with Craw in but we wouldnt be able to with TOB in. Obviously that was wrong. What I'm trying to say is that Craw was looked at very highly before he got injured and now TOB is looked at very highly. I don't think you can look at stats because TOB played against stiffer competition IMO. Also, there were about 6 dropped passes from TOB in the Cal Poly game and one of them was picked. Since there has been very few. That hurts his efficiency rating and completion %. I personally would start TOB. I dont think you can bench a guy after he led your team to what people are calling the biggest win in the history of your program. But I will never doubt Coach Stig as he knows much more than I do.

Comment

I didn't mean to imply that you did. It just seems that there are some on this board that have that thought veiled in their posts.

We were riding a wave before Crawford got hurt too. I think that these big time positive waves have more to do with our defense than which option 1A or 1B is under center.

X2.

TOB is the future, but a healthy Crawford is your starting QB. And yes I seem to recall we were riding a pretty big wave up to Crawford getting hurt against Poly. You can say we played better competition but the last time I checked one of the two TOB starts was against a not to be named team sitting in last place in the MVFC . I think we should all be happy that we have this problem. Most schools are lucky to have one good QB.

Comment

TV just tweeted that Stig says Craw "wasn't totally healthy" in practice yesterday and his status is up in the air.

If it was any other coach, I'd think maybe he was just giving YSU something to think about. Stig doesn't really play those games, though, so I guess we aren't sure yet who's starting Saturday.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Terry elaborates more on his tweet in his blog post today about the MVC teleconference:

Coming off a big win over the Panthers, No. 9 SDSU (6-1) heads to Youngstown State (4-3) at 5-0 in league play, tied atop the standings with SIU. This is just the third time in Valley history that two teams have been 5-0.

The quarterback job remains unsettled as senior Ryan Crawford was not as far along Tuesday – in his first full practice since a knee injury – was not as far along as coach John Stiegelmeier hoped. The staff will choose a starter on Thursday morning after watching Wednesday practice film.

“If Ryan Crawford is healthy, he will be the guy,” Stiegelmeier said “Yesterday, he was not totally healthy.”

Penguins coach Jon Heacock believes that it won’t make much difference who starts.

“I think both of them have played well,” he said. “I think (Thomas O’Brien) has stepped in and done a tremendous job. He’s got a great supporting cast. You watch last week’s game, he made no poor decisions whatsoever. He’s throwing strikes and they have a great football team.”

(link)

Comment

Working...
                                X