Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: O'Brien or Crawford?

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
    I have a question. Does Whittier redshirt have to be declared? If he doesn't play at all this year can we go back and say he redshirted to give him another year of eligibility? Or is redshirting with the possibility of it being pulled?

I guess that was three questions, but if you have an answer I would appreciate it.
    Pretty sure you don't have to declare a redshirt.
    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

He has 5 years to play 4 so if he doesn't play at all this year he would consider this his redshirt year and have 4 years left to play for the Jacks.

Comment

I think Stig wants to see how Crawford takes a hit and recovers from it. If he shows signs he isn't healthy TOB will be right back in.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
          Pretty sure you don't have to declare a redshirt.
          yeah, a redshirt can be given for (1) year that they do not play a single down. (for whatever reason)

as far as O'Brien or Crawford. It sounds like (and I have no inside information) that Crawford thinks he is 100% but the coaching staff isn't sold, what they are saying is we will give you the start but if you are limping around after you get hit, or are clearly favoring your knee we won't hesitate to pull you....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            as far as O'Brien or Crawford. It sounds like (and I have no inside information) that Crawford thinks he is 100% but the coaching staff isn't sold, what they are saying is we will give you the start but if you are limping around after you get hit, or are clearly favoring your knee we won't hesitate to pull you....
            I am completely okay with this decision.

Comment

It seems to me that TOB has helped win against three very tough teams, no turnovers, can throw downfield, controls himself well for a freshman....and wins. Has no one heard of Tom Brady? Don't fix it if it isn't broken; you should go with what works.

Comment

I think people have forgotten how well Crawford was playing before he went down. O'Brien has stepped in and has been equally as good.
                The thing I notice with TOB though is he doesn't progress through his reads and usually stares down his receiver. He's forced some balls into bad spots but has gotten away with the DB's dropping easy interceptions.
                What I like about Crawford is that once he sees nothing is there, he takes off running and gets a couple yards. I say if Crawford still has that ability, to take off and run it if he needs to, than he should get the start.

Comment

For what's it's worth, I'm glad Stig is loyal to his seniors. Crawford spent four years, lifting weights, working out, studying the offense and giving support where he could, waiting for his moment (his 5th year in the program). He went through a horrible injury a year ago, spent hours upon hours in rehab, hoping he could get well enough to start. He was loyal to his team and coach.

I think Stig is sending an enormous message to Crawford and the rest of the team. Stig doesn't talk about "family" because it makes for a nice sound bite. He said early in the year that Crawford was the starting quarterback for South Dakota State University. If we know anything about Stig, he is a man of his word. If he believes Crawford is 100%, despite the recent successes of TOB, well, I stand in Stig's corner. I'd love to have a son play for such an honorable human being.

Comment

I think TOB gives SDSU the best chance to win this year. Crawford is a good athlete and a decent QB, but I from what I've seen, I think TOB is better.

But, I'm only a fan on a message board.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                      I think TOB gives SDSU the best chance to win this year. Crawford is a good athlete and a decent QB, but I from what I've seen, I think TOB is better.

But, I'm only a fan on a message board.
                      I agree.

All RC did today is stare down his primary receiver, so there's no difference there. And TOB gets the ball out quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                        I agree.

All RC did today is stare down his primary receiver, so there's no difference there. And TOB gets the ball out quicker.
                        All Ryan Crawford did today was complete 68% of his passes for 178 yards and no turnovers against the #2 overall and #1 pass defense in the MVFC...

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                          All Ryan Crawford did today was complete 68% of his passes for 178 yards and no turnovers against the #2 overall and #1 pass defense in the MVFC...
                          I didn't see the game, but were any of the passes down the field? Sure he's accurate on short passes, but IMO, the coaches can open the play book up with TOB.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

RO you can watch the game right now on FSN North. Then you may judge for yourself.
                            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I didn't see the game, but were any of the passes down the field? Sure he's accurate on short passes, but IMO, the coaches can open the play book up with TOB.
                              One. On a 3rd and 8, he had all day and threw what was a pretty good ball about 35-40 yards right off the fingerips of Steffen.

No turnovers is key there's no doubt about it, but the vanilla offense has to get a little more flavor to it to beat the best in the FCS (and maybe the Gophers).

Comment

I am afraid this conversation will not end until the final play of the season. Crawford did complete passes down field to Cochart and Fox, and nice ones at that. I never fully appreciated Colin Cochart until today. That dude is big and very athletic. No wonder the coaches think Cochart is a NFL prospect.

I think Crawford did okay. During the post game interview on TV I could not help think back about Ryan' bike ride into Frost at halftime as the Underwear man. I am still laughing not so much at Ryan but rather at the SDSU staffers at the scorer's table and their surprised look, and looking where in the half time prescript was this event scheduled., IT WAS NOT SCHEDULED. Obviously, Coach stig has forgiven RC for the unplanned unauthorized and unscheduled bike ride.

I think RC did okay, and I not sure if TOB would have done much better and the game is in the books so we will never know.

Comment

Working...
                                X