Coughlin Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coughlin Capacity

The West side grand stand capacity is 6362. That number is stamped on one of the cement columns to the grand stand. I thought it was bigger than that.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
      The West side grand stand capacity is 6362. That number is stamped on one of the cement columns to the grand stand. I thought it was bigger than that.
      Probably seats less than that now a days. Let's face people are bigger these days. My fat body needs two season tickets just to sit down.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
        Probably seats less than that now a days. Let's face people are bigger these days. My fat body needs two season tickets just to sit down.
        Too funny.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          It's a little torn up. Any chance the field will dry out? What do you want? It'll be a little brown next time we play.

Nobody's saying it wouldn't be nice to have FieldTurf (about $1 million for a new installation that'll last 10-15 years, plus $25,000 annual maintainence using $15,000 worth of new equipment) but it's not the top priority right now.

High Schools that have the turf: Garretson, Harrisburg, O'gorman, Sioux Falls Christian, Howard Wood! They seem to have it right down around Sioux Falls! Augustana also!

Great recruiting tool! It just looks awesome and makes any stadium look 10 times better.

People think about the old astro turf like the dome had and this stuff is just like grass!

I will say right now, we will have turf in two years IMO!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
            High Schools that have the turf: Garretson, Harrisburg, O'gorman, Sioux Falls Christian, Howard Wood! They seem to have it right down around Sioux Falls! Augustana also!

Great recruiting tool! It just looks awesome and makes any stadium look 10 times better.

People think about the old astro turf like the dome had and this stuff is just like grass!

I totally agree. I just don't understand this mentality that we have to live with substandard field conditions or we are an ag school so we have to have natural grass. Thank goodness there is a breath of fresh ideas in AD Sell who does not share the opinions that it's always been this way so that is the way it will stay or were not worthy of top notch facilities.

Comment

Send your checks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                Send your checks!
                Indeed!

Comment

Not sure if this was posted anywhere from the Argus yesterday,

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...25/1002/sports

How big should a new or renovated Coughlin be? I say 18,000-20,000 with ability to expand.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    How big should a new or renovated Coughlin be? I say 18,000-20,000 with ability to expand.
                    That's exactly what was thinking. I would like 18,000 between the east and west grandstands and then 2,000 and the Pride horseshoeing around the south with the ability to expand the horseshoe to the height of the east and west grandstands. At that point we'd have to move the scoreboard, but that would be years down the road.
                    Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU_TUBA View Post
                      That's exactly what was thinking. I would like 18,000 between the east and west grandstands and then 2,000 and the Pride horseshoeing around the south with the ability to expand the horseshoe to the height of the east and west grandstands. At that point we'd have to move the scoreboard, but that would be years down the road.
                      I'd put the low end of required seating a bit lower--at about 16,000 but yes, easy (cheap) expansion needs to be an integrated part of the overall plan--preferably in about 4k steps up to a possible ultimate buildout of 32k or more--not that I think a 30,000+ seat CAS is in the immediate future, you can either have expandability as a primary design consideration, or not.

("Not" basically means doing the CAS renovation on the super-cheap. It would be nice to avoid that if at all possible. Site prep work won't get cheaper than it is right now, I think.)
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

MSU's coach Allen was asked about the weather and he said artificial surface helps to minimize the elements affect on the game, which is great for both teams and fans get to see a "better" game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
                          MSU's coach Allen was asked about the weather and he said artificial surface helps to minimize the elements affect on the game, which is great for both teams and fans get to see a "better" game.
                          I'm sold. Several inches of rain, and the field was perfectly dry for kickoff.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
                            If I heard correctly - Coughlin and Western Ill are the only Valley playing surfaces with grass.

Two years for turf at Coughlin. Write that down. Yes it does impact the quality of the game. But it also inhances the appearance of the facility. Which can assist with recruiting. Don't think any player wants to play in a mud bowl in Oct and Nov. Turf will also allow the local high school and others to utilize the facility and help with the financials.

1-0 this week

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                              If I heard correctly - Coughlin and Western Ill are the only Valley playing surfaces with grass.

Two years for turf at Coughlin. Write that down. Yes it does impact the quality of the game. But it also inhances the appearance of the facility. Which can assist with recruiting. Don't think any player wants to play in a mud bowl in Oct and Nov. Turf will also allow the local high school and others to utilize the facility and help with the financials.

1-0 this week

GBGBGJ

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by JimmyJack
                              It's a little torn up. Any chance the field will dry out? What do you want? It'll be a little brown next time we play.

Nobody's saying it wouldn't be nice to have FieldTurf (about $1 million for a new installation that'll last 10-15 years, plus $25,000 annual maintainence using $15,000 worth of new equipment) but it's not the top priority right now.

Comment

I vote for Smurf blue so the players just disappear to the oppenents!
                                Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                                -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Working...
                                X