Coughlin Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coughlin Capacity

I think in the greater scheme of things, a new east grandstand and replacing the west grandstand are bigger priorities than new turf.

And as Jacks#1Fan has pointed out, the fieldhouse is in front of even those on the to-do list, unless Sell has changed the priority list, and I haven't heard anything about that.

A FieldTurf playing surface would certainly be pretty but I suspect like all things is funding-dependent. Cans of green spray paint are cheaper (maybe?)

(Referring to the notorious old Cleveland Stadium where the Browns used to play back in the day. It is not true that they were called the Browns because of the color of their field.)
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      I think in the greater scheme of things, a new east grandstand and replacing the west grandstand are bigger priorities than new turf.

And as Jacks#1Fan has pointed out, the fieldhouse is in front of even those on the to-do list, unless Sell has changed the priority list, and I haven't heard anything about that.

A FieldTurf playing surface would certainly be pretty but I suspect like all things is funding-dependent. Cans of green spray paint are cheaper (maybe?)

(Referring to the notorious old Cleveland Stadium where the Browns used to play back in the day. It is not true that they were called the Browns because of the color of their field.)
      They were named after their first head coach, Paul Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post

A major point here is that many people argue that Turf is unecessary given the relatively few games that are played on it in a given season, yet the field continues to look as if there is twice the usage. With so few games played on it... it should look better than it does. Maybe I'm the only one that thinks the field looks pretty rough already and it's early in the season. Continuing the history of a shoddy looking field. Obviously replacing the playing surface should be low on the list of priorities, but hey... I thought we were throwing out ideas on what we each would like to see someday.
        I agree whole-heartedly- From game 1 this season I do not think the field has looked as good as it should. I have seen a number of small school high school fields that look better than the grass at CAS. What is with all the brown grass? When we are an ag school and have students going into careers like golf course superintendents- can't we do better? Who does take care of the field? Is it people on work study who do all the mowing and spraying? IF we cannot do better, then I am for field turf. Turf would have the added potential for income with some high schools willing to move inclement weather playoff games to a field with turf. It will it be great to have a new CAS, but we need the playing surface to look good, too.
        Last edited by trueblue; 10-02-2009, 01:10 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

IMHO, the the new grandstands and the suites and other amenities that go with them should be a priority over a new playing surface. I have stated this before that I think that Justin Sell has reprioritized needs and put the new grandstands ahead of the fieldhouse. More people in the stands at a renovated CAS with higher ticket prices,concession and suite revenue will help pay for a new fieldhouse. The fieldhouse by itself is not a revenue generator however it will be a great recruiting tool that will lead to more talent and more wins that lead to more revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            IMHO, the the new grandstands and the suites and other amenities that go with them should be a priority over a new playing surface. I have stated this before that I think that Justin Sell has reprioritized needs and put the new grandstands ahead of the fieldhouse. More people in the stands at a renovated CAS with higher ticket prices,concession and suite revenue will help pay for a new fieldhouse. The fieldhouse by itself is not a revenue generator however it will be a great recruiting tool that will lead to more talent and more wins that lead to more revenue.
            When I spoke to Mr. Sell in Sioux Falls several weeks back, he said that there were completely different funding sources in mind for the Fieldhouse and the stadium project. He said then in his mind he thought it was possible that both of those projects could be developed concurrently.
            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
              When I spoke to Mr. Sell in Sioux Falls several weeks back, he said that there were completely different funding sources in mind for the Fieldhouse and the stadium project. He said then in his mind he thought it was possible that both of those projects could be developed concurrently.
              I have a unsent letter, word document, to Mr. Sell. I am thinking this document is heading for the recyle bin. My document expresses a great deal of concern about resources and it appears AD Sells and others are on top of it.

Thanks for sharing your exchange with AD Sell.

Comment

This looks like it could get ugly tonight.
                From the Brookings Register Twitter page:

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
                  This looks like it could get ugly tonight.
                  From the Brookings Register Twitter page:
                  You are correct sideline. I spoke with a couple of people that were at the Bobcat vs S.F. Washington game last night and the field took a beating. A couple of worth while comments were made that need sharing.

Apparently in last weeks staff meeting at SDSU the meeting focused on field turf. $800,000 for a quality turf. The cost of maintaining a grass field is significant. Plus, the Jacks have only one of two fields in the MVC with natural grass. The other is Western Ill. (I think)

Also, SDSU wants soccer to return to campus. Fishbach park is nice but the emphasis is to return events back to campus. A new turf would acommodate multiple football games and soccer to be played without damage to the playing surface.

Is Coughlin in need of some upgrading? Certainly, but that playing surface is sad and needs replacement. The high school games are not going away and its sad to see the Jacks playing on what we have today.

I wonder if the year the round up was dumped on the field by accident still has an impact on the lack of grass? Anyway, it is what it is and we will need to struggle thru some poor playing conditions.

Jacks 37 - Poly 13

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                    You are correct sideline. I spoke with a couple of people that were at the Bobcat vs S.F. Washington game last night and the field took a beating.
                    This is exactly why the grass has to go, as much as everyone, myself included, likes it. The grass at the game that shall not be mentioned was destroyed by the high school game the night before, and it looks like it has been ripped up again. Thank god we've got away games for this week and the next two. Here's hoping to some dry weather. If we had Poly at home tonight, it probably would be destroyed for the rest of the season.

If they do decide to bring back soccer to campus, this helps to justify the cost of field turf. But would this mean we all have to look at soccer field lines during football games?? Not a big fan of that one personally. Maybe there is a way to remove the lines before football games.

Comment

• Re: Coughlin Capacity

You are correct sideline. I spoke with a couple of people that were at the Bobcat vs S.F. Washington game last night and the field took a beating. A couple of worth while comments were made that need sharing.

Apparently in last weeks staff meeting at SDSU the meeting focused on field turf. $800,000 for a quality turf. The cost of maintaining a grass field is significant. Plus, the Jacks have only one of two fields in the MVC with natural grass. The other is Western Ill. (I think)

Also, SDSU wants soccer to return to campus. Fishbach park is nice but the emphasis is to return events back to campus. A new turf would acommodate multiple football games and soccer to be played without damage to the playing surface.

Is Coughlin in need of some upgrading? Certainly, but that playing surface is sad and needs replacement. The high school games are not going away and its sad to see the Jacks playing on what we have today.

I wonder if the year the round up was dumped on the field by accident still has an impact on the lack of grass? Anyway, it is what it is and we will need to struggle thru some poor playing conditions.

Jacks 37 - Poly 13

GBGBGJ
                      Please no. I do not want to see the soccer lines on the football field.

I may be mistaken but I thought the master plan called for a new soccer field on campus.

Comment

Having Turf would allow for more sports and more practicing including marching band without sacrificing field quality.

As for roundup, it breaks down fast. I think you can replant in a week or so.

Comment

Jacks 37 - Poly 13

GBGBGJ
                          The Brookings Country Club laid Roundup and killed every fairway 4-5 years ago. They replanted with new greass and today the fairways are as good as they've ever been showing no ill effects of their Roundup treatments. I'm very confident the Coughlin Roundup incident is having any lasting effects.

Comment

Watched the Sioux Falls Roosevelt and Brandon Valley game played in similiar weather on field turf at Howard Wood Field Friday night and the field and game was not affected by the weather and it's ready for the next game. It's not a matter of if field turf is coming to CAS it's when. I think if the Jacks have to play on a torn up field the rest of the year it will come sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              As I was reading through this thread, I was thinking that exact same thing. Seriously. This field can handle the traffic it gets.
                              Go out to CAS today and honestly tell us the field can handle the traffic it gets!

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
                                That certainly happened, but the round-up incident comes from, probably 5-6 years ago when our grounds crew sprayed the field for weeds I assume, but failed to rinse a tank that had contained round-up. That happened about two-weeks before the hobo day game that year. We played UND that year I beleive. We had a full stadium and the whole field was dead-brown. There are some areial pictures floating around of a packed CAS and the worst looking field ever in college football. I remember Dr. Oien not being very happy about it.

That incident and the condition of the field most years, makes me believe that Field-turf is the best way to go for our playing surface, especially with the fact that it is shared with another team. It simply has not been proven that the field can be taken care of properly, so let's take living grass out of the equation.

As for the Track & Field situation, using BHS's facility is hardly ideal for a D-I program. They should be on campus, where they can use the facility as they wish. I'm not sure if SDSU helped money wise with BHS's new track, but if they did I think that money would be better served to be saved for a long term solution rather than a short term solution.
                                Thanks, and I believe I did hear something about what you have added here but that too was some time ago, and I do recall the brown field. The AC incident was about the only thing that came to mind when some said something about round up.

My little breakfast group this morning did make mention about the near future of turf coming to CAS. We seem to have a real can do guy as AD. I expect it to happen.

When the jet stream that is usually up in Canada changes and cold air starts to come from the north, we can almost expect a very wet fall like we are currently having. Turf is without a doubt the solution. SDSU, the City Parks Department have found ways to share facilities and work together but if more pocketbooks open and open generously maybe SDSU will not need to depend on these town and gown arrangements. Those who want to crab about BHS playing at CAS need to help out here and it means helping financially.

BHS does not play at CAS for free BTW.

Comment

Working...
                                X