Coughlin Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coughlin Capacity

The permanent seats on the west side are too small and too cramped, by today's standards. The deteriorating bleachers on the east side actually provide more comfort, at least at games that don't attract huge, elbow-to-elbow crowds. Both sides need updating, starting with the east side, because that side really drags down the image of the stadium. The Dykhouse Center and the Daktronics scoreboard are great improvements and a good start to what eventually could be a classy stadium. Why not Jacked Up Stadium, complete with large pedestals for dancing cheerleaders, like in the Cowboys' new stadium? Well, I guess we could go without those, if the regents get picky.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
      The JIMMY JACK DOME

That has an awesome ring to it, don't ya think? It's sarcastic Friday, enjoy the humor.

Your slogan could be:

COME BACK HOME
      TO THE JIMMY JACK DOME

Then if the weather is cold and miserable, it will be at least 69 degrees inside.
      Jimmy Jack--BEYOND THUNDERDOME!!!
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The only public financing I think we'll ever see is a penny sales tax sort of thing, with the agreement that BHS will play there until the glaciers come back down again.

Otherwise it's private donations, and maybe state bonds to cover the construction costs, I think.

Or, one of us (after paying the Stupidity Tax by buying a ticket) wins the Powerball.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          The only public financing I think we'll ever see is a penny sales tax sort of thing, with the agreement that BHS will play there until the glaciers come back down again.

Otherwise it's private donations, and maybe state bonds to cover the construction costs, I think.

Or, one of us (after paying the Stupidity Tax by buying a ticket) wins the Powerball.
          I'm in the Powerball pool at work (because if they won and I didn't, I would have to put a bullet through my head), so if we win, I will kick in the first donation. Of course, once we parcel out all of the money to all the minions, that won't be very much. (Hey, did those words kind of reflect that I believe we're going to win..."once we parcel out all of the money...").

If I grew to be unreasonably rich, I would fork over a great deal of money to the conference if only they let us use cowbells again. And, for that matter, I just might call it Cowbell Center or Bellringer Field or something just as silly. Take that, Craig Bohl! Wow...I'm losing it.
          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
            I'm in the Powerball pool at work (because if they won and I didn't, I would have to put a bullet through my head), so if we win, I will kick in the first donation. Of course, once we parcel out all of the money to all the minions, that won't be very much. (Hey, did those words kind of reflect that I believe we're going to win..."once we parcel out all of the money...").

If I grew to be unreasonably rich, I would fork over a great deal of money to the conference if only they let us use cowbells again. And, for that matter, I just might call it Cowbell Center or Bellringer Field or something just as silly. Take that, Craig Bohl! Wow...I'm losing it.
            Perhaps we could hang a giant cowbell above the field like Jimmy Jones' giant TVs in Cowboy Stadium. When the punts hit that sucker, look out! Nobody will be asking for "more cowbell".
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I know for a fact the tickets and all tickets are 50 bucks at least the 3000 given to SDSU so generously by U of Minnesota. I heard the AD from Minnesota on Sid Hartmans show a while back and he said he did not want to give opponents any advantage for seating. Now if you are able to scalp some tickets for less than 50 on game day, then you might get in for less, but I would be very dubious of that happening. Better to bring at least 50 bucks for one ticket and more if u want more tickets.

lower level tickets are going for 100-200 per ticket and upper level are $75-125 on craigslist and stubhub.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
                lower level tickets are going for 100-200 per ticket and upper level are $75-125 on craigslist and stubhub.
                thread drift

Comment

Originally posted by crjack View Post
                  Iowa State has hillside grass seating on all four corners of Jack Trice Stadium. They're cheaper tickets and lots of families sit or more likely stand there. By the way, the Jacks have drawn more fans to their first two home games than UNI has.
                  A bit unfair because their first home game was the same weekend as Iowa VS ISU and their second home game was Iowa VS Arizona. They are competing against bigger programs in the state. Rarely does anyone grow up a Panther-first fan. Also they are in a dome and in September who wants to go inside to watch a football game?

From what I recall, Iowa (yes I am going back to them again) was able to renovate Kinnick between football seasons. With the proper funding I think CAS could be made into, at least, a horseshoe 'skeleton' between seasons. I think a full grandstand renovation could easily be done between seasons. I really think the time is now to start the push though, even with the bad economy. Ten years for structure is a short life, get one bad winter and that could be cut even shorter.
                  Last edited by JimmieTuba; 09-26-2009, 12:52 PM.
                  Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                  -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                    From what I recall, Iowa (yes I am going back to them again) was able to renovate Kinnick between football seasons.
                    My brother-in-law was one of the construction managers for Mortenson on the Kinnick renovation. If I remember correctly it took a little over 2 years, but the scheduling of the work was done so that no game dates had to be changed, but the work did have some impact on some fans at the game at different times.

He also helped on the Gopher stadium for a while. He is a Hawkeye fan, but I think he was pretty unbiased in why he thought the finished Kinnick was better than the new Gopher stadium. However he did say that Gopher stadium will be able to be upgraded and be much better than it is now. I don't get all of what he was talking about because he was getting into different aspects of meeting rooms, tunnel arrangements etc. and all I care about is the fan perspective.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                      My brother-in-law was one of the construction managers for Mortenson on the Kinnick renovation. If I remember correctly it took a little over 2 years, but the scheduling of the work was done so that no game dates had to be changed, but the work did have some impact on some fans at the game at different times.

He also helped on the Gopher stadium for a while. He is a Hawkeye fan, but I think he was pretty unbiased in why he thought the finished Kinnick was better than the new Gopher stadium. However he did say that Gopher stadium will be able to be upgraded and be much better than it is now. I don't get all of what he was talking about because he was getting into different aspects of meeting rooms, tunnel arrangements etc. and all I care about is the fan perspective.
                      Ok I thought I might had been off base, but it still can be done. I really think making a horseshoe (or fully enclosed) field the plan is the way to go. Make it a continuous process instead of a year by year stage.
                      Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                      -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Ok heres my personal idea for what would be really sweet. You make the horseshoe at the north end, with seats going about halfway up the Dykehouse Center, to just under the deck/porch like area they are putting on, and make a tunnel for the players entrance. Then at the opposite end of the field build up a hill up to close to the bottom of the scoreboard. That gives some standing room seating, and leaves plenty of room to make additions. Oh, and I would move the student section and band to the north endzon and northeast corner to make it loud down on that end of the field . This would be somewhat similar to what the university of wisconsin did at Camp Randal if I'm correct, minus the hill, and they covered up their building more. I think that would make for a cool look to the stadium, avoid having to alter the scoreboard, and make it easy to do in steps if they wanted, going east/west side then enclosing the ends, and then (in my wildest dreams) add a second deck to the west side. I just think that would make for an awesome unique stadium.
                        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

How bad is the field going to get torn up this Friday night? Again the heated argument arises wether or not field turf is the way to go in the future.

Comment

I also was thinking about what kind of shape the field will be in by the time the Jacks return in 2 weeks. IMHO if Brookings High School is a long term tenant of CAS which I assume they are then the newest and greatest quality field turf should be a priority. The athletes deserve the opportunity to play on a quality field each and every week. The weather is enough of a factor and don't need another LaCrosse game!

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              How bad is the field going to get torn up this Friday night? Again the heated argument arises wether or not field turf is the way to go in the future.

I've been told that the College guys tear the field up twice as much just in warm-ups than the the High School kids do during the whole game.

That being said...with the speed that SDSU has amassed the past few years, I don't think having field turf is as much of a disadvantage as it was back when SDSU was transitioning.

Go Jacks!!
                              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I thought the field looked a bit yellow and not exactly healthy for the home opener. Not sure if BHS played on it yet, but I have to think that what gets done to the field before the season has a big impact on how it responds during the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X