Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coughlin Capacity

Originally posted by Crashola View Post
    I agree completely. Putting in an east grandstand first would ignore the major pressing issue on the other side of the field -- an obsolete, outdated, and worn-out grandstand and pressbox. The next major phase needs to be a first-class west grandstand with some luxury boxes and modern amenities.
    Arguably you could put the luxury suites & press box on the E. side, but I'm pretty sure the press box & stands were put on the W side originally to keep the fans from staring into the sun during afternoon games, and that may be a consideration when they redo the stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Crashola View Post
      I agree completely. Putting in an east grandstand first would ignore the major pressing issue on the other side of the field -- an obsolete, outdated, and worn-out grandstand and pressbox. The next major phase needs to be a first-class west grandstand with some luxury boxes and modern amenities.
      My only issue with that is the old saying "good, fast, cheap, pick any two" with regards to demolishing and re-building the west grandstands in the window from December-August to do it between football seasons. Depending on how fast something can go up, you might have to sacrifice revenue (seating capacity) for part or all of a football season, so I'd first sacrifice the side with the smaller seating capacity, the east side, before taking on the west side.

Real actual engineers and architects can go figure that out, however. I just play one on TV.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
        Are you going to the SDSU vs. Minnesota game? Tickets for that one game are $50 bucks.

A Ticket to one Vikings game run from like $48 to $135.

SDSU season tickets are $95

The difference between a reserved seat and GA is $5 bucks. Are you kidding me? Spring the extra fiver and have a seat.

Maybe I am wrong but what I hear you saying is that you want to wake up on game day and see what the weather is like before you decide if you are going to the CAS. If it is nice you want to go and you want to sit down. How am I doin?
        I am going to the Gophers game, but I have no idea how much my tickets cost. I'll take your word for it.

The point is that for big games, not everyone can have a reserved seat.

I agree with your premise that ticket prices are reasonable, but $5 is still a decent amount of money for a lot of SDSU fans (when I come to CAS if everybody in the car bought GA, it would pay for the gas to get there). And I'm not really complaining about the pricing, but rather what you get for your money. The old saying "price is what you pay, value is what you get." I'm not sure standing behind three people for an obstructed view is worth $15, but that's just me.

And if you think those SRO spots are worth $15, try one out at the NDSU or UNI game. Let me know what you think.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          I am going to the Gophers game, but I have no idea how much my tickets cost. I'll take your word for it.

I know for a fact the tickets and all tickets are 50 bucks at least the 3000 given to SDSU so generously by U of Minnesota. I heard the AD from Minnesota on Sid Hartmans show a while back and he said he did not want to give opponents any advantage for seating. Now if you are able to scalp some tickets for less than 50 on game day, then you might get in for less, but I would be very dubious of that happening. Better to bring at least 50 bucks for one ticket and more if u want more tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            I think any new stadium should have some berm areas for open seating (a la Kirkeby-Over & the UC-Davis stadium), in part to preserve the 'SRO' aspect of the current facility.
            Iowa State has hillside grass seating on all four corners of Jack Trice Stadium. They're cheaper tickets and lots of families sit or more likely stand there. By the way, the Jacks have drawn more fans to their first two home games than UNI has.

Comment

Originally posted by crjack View Post
              Iowa State has hillside grass seating on all four corners of Jack Trice Stadium. They're cheaper tickets and lots of families sit or more likely stand there. By the way, the Jacks have drawn more fans to their first two home games than UNI has.
              UNI's dome capacity for football is about 16,300. It's a little surprising they don't fill it to capacity each game.

Comment

I agree with your premise that ticket prices are reasonable, but $5 is still a decent amount of money for a lot of SDSU fans (when I come to CAS if everybody in the car bought GA, it would pay for the gas to get there). And I'm not really complaining about the pricing, but rather what you get for your money. The old saying "price is what you pay, value is what you get." I'm not sure standing behind three people for an obstructed view is worth $15, but that's just me.

And if you think those SRO spots are worth $15, try one out at the NDSU or UNI game. Let me know what you think.
                You are right, the $20 dollar reserved seat is priced higher then the GA seat but is a much better value. So buck up and pay $5 dollars and have a seat and enjoy the value. Or pay the lower price knowing that it is not as good of a value. The choice is yours.

By the way the difference in buying reserved seats to all the SDSU games is $25. That of course is half the cost of your single ticket for the Minnesota game.

Comment

Like the idea of expanding seating capacity on east, west, and north.....in that order. However, got to krrp some ga sro areas. great for families (got 3 under 7) to lry kids "roam" a little w/o annoying reserved ticket holders.

For what its worth, ever paid close attention to some of the fans along the sidelines and north endzone. Lot of former Jacks there.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                    You are right, the $20 dollar reserved seat is priced higher then the GA seat but is a much better value. So buck up and pay $5 dollars and have a seat and enjoy the value. Or pay the lower price knowing that it is not as good of a value. The choice is yours.

By the way the difference in buying reserved seats to all the SDSU games is $25. That of course is half the cost of your single ticket for the Minnesota game.
                    I guess I should have been a little more clear. Personally I don't really have problem paying the extra 5 bucks (I do for every game I go to), but my original point was partially that once you get to about 13,500 people at the stadium, someone is going to be standing with an obstructed view.

If we get 17K for the NDSU game, everyone can't "buck up" and buy a reserved seat. Everyone can't get into the stadium early for a GA seat. There aren't enough reserved seats. And if you have 2000+ people standing with obstructed views, you run the risk of those people not showing up next time.

I'm wasn't an economics major, but in economic terms (I think), there are a limited number of seating resources, no matter how many people are happy to pay $20 (or 25 or 30)for a reserved seat, there are only so many reserved seats available, and for many games, demand is greater than supply.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

A bit of a rant here, but anyway...

Any time someone brings up the topic of the seating capacity of Coughlin, the response is basically: it doesn't have a maximum capacity, people just stand around the field.

Now I realize there are a certain number of folks who like to lean on the fence and watch while standing. But there are a heckuva lot more who want a seat with a decent view of the game, and if we keep bringing in crowds like we have, this is going to become a problem.

Single game GA tickets for the rest of the season run $15, I for one would not pay that to stretch my neck to try to see the game while standing 3 deep on the sideline or endzone.

My theory is that with the current setup, we will never average more than 13,500 at games, no matter how good the team is. Anything more than that, and people will simply not show up to risk standing with an obstructed view.

I know the response-buy season tickets or reserved seating, but that's not a realistic option for a lot of people.

I also know there is not an easy or quick solution to this problem (and I guess its a good problem to have), but the quicker we can get a new stadium built with a cozy capacity of around 20K, the better.
                      CAS is fine for now. Let the athletic department do a cost study on the upgrades. If a person doesn't want to "risk" having a obstructed view then get better tickets.

Until we get to the point in which season ticket holders are being put in the end zones because of a lack of space I think we are doing fine. The time of great seats being available as a "walk-up" at face value are numbered if the team continues their success.

I just don't see a need right now for a full 20k seat stadium. Just fix up the east side for now and then in a year or so think about connecting the sides to the DC. I, for one, would rather have a jam-packed and rockin' CAS at 13,500 than 14,000 people in a stadium with 4-6 thousand empty seats.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Once the feasibility study is completed and the results are made public, I think our adminstration will have a better idea where they want to go with the future in terms of an out door facility for football. There are a number of alternatives which have been brought up and possibly they will be mentioned in the feasibilty study. I just hope the engineers are wrong about 10 years as the remaining life of the west stands and and we have extra time if needed. We should all hope that things can get rolling before the time runs out.

One thing that has crossed my mind about raising the amount of funds that will be needed no matter which way we go is the possiblity of a ticket surchage for facility replacement. I don't know if this is a possibilty, but it might be one way of reaching our goal in a painless and corporate fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Once the feasibility study is completed and the results are made public, I think our adminstration will have a better idea where they want to go with the future in terms of an out door facility for football. There are a number of alternatives which have been brought up and possibly they will be mentioned in the feasibilty study. I just hope the engineers are wrong about 10 years as the remaining life of the west stands and and we have extra time if needed. We should all hope that things can get rolling before the time runs out.

One thing that has crossed my mind about raising the amount of funds that will be needed no matter which way we go is the possiblity of a ticket surchage for facility replacement. I don't know if this is a possibilty, but it might be one way of reaching our goal in a painless and corporate fashion.

I like the idea of the "ticket surcharge" that you bring up Nidaros! I know I would pay at least double of my season tickets if I knew that extra $$ was going straight to a new CAS. Not sure how far that would get us, but I guess it's a start.
                          Maybe all funds from tailgating could go there also, but I'm sure those funds have their place by now...budget-wise.

Like Fred used to tell me...all donations really just go into one big pool in the end anyway. But it would be nice to know that a portion is going to a new CAS.

Go Jacks!!
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

I would actually maybe like the fact that the west side only has 10 years, or less, left on it. That may force the issue and get this much needed upgrade done sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              CAS is fine for now. Let the athletic department do a cost study on the upgrades. If a person doesn't want to "risk" having a obstructed view then get better tickets.

Until we get to the point in which season ticket holders are being put in the end zones because of a lack of space I think we are doing fine. The time of great seats being available as a "walk-up" at face value are numbered if the team continues their success.

I just don't see a need right now for a full 20k seat stadium. Just fix up the east side for now and then in a year or so think about connecting the sides to the DC. I, for one, would rather have a jam-packed and rockin' CAS at 13,500 than 14,000 people in a stadium with 4-6 thousand empty seats.
                              How do you propose fixing up the east side? I don't they should spend any money on a bandaid approach. I would rather see us define the cost of a new east side that will replicate whatever will eventually go on the west side with the exception of suites.

Comment

Why no suites on the east side? Many stadiums have them on both sides and the revenue they generate would be more dollars for the west side. Or am I totally missing something, wouldn't be unusual after today.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X