Coughlin Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coughlin Capacity

I don't have any idea how it'll come out, but I would bet that the feasibility study will suggest an incremental approach. If the university proceeds, it'll be with a fully-formed idea of what the final (several steps down the road) stadium will look like. But it'll most likely start with the addition of a new east grandstand. Who knows how quickly that can happen? Perhaps more quickly than we might think, depending on some creative financing.

President Chicoine only has about 7 years left. I'm betting he'd like to have a plan underway to begin replacing the stadium before he's done at SDSU.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

As a West side-sitter, I would love for it to be upgraded first. But, jeez...I think the east side could crumble at any minute. I don't know what the university's plan will be, but it just seems like the east side might be a more pressing need.

Whatever we do, we need to be able to expand in the future. Somebody else said that he doesn't see the need for 20,000 seats now. I tend to agree. If we could get 15,000 or 16,000 butts in seats (actual seats, not standing around), I think that would be good for now. And there could be room for standing, too, somehow. Actually, I think a hillside setting (a hill in eastern South Dakota!!!) would be great. I don't know how it would work, but that would give families with kids a good option. Those could be cheaper, of course, making it a better financial option, and it would give kids a bit of room to roam. Maybe, in time, the northeast corner of CAS could be built up like that. Or maybe there could be a little knoll on the north side between the new fieldhouse and the field itself...and the team could run through an entrance at the center when coming out. That might actually be pretty cool...although I don't know if it's realistic at all. The building is already pretty close to the field, it seems. Anyhow, I'm obviously just speculating.

One thing can't be argued, though. We do need some upgrades. And given the tough financial times, it won't be easy.

Like it or not, ticket prices are getting close to topping out. Sure, a few of us are hard-core and would pay more. But a lot of others won't. Families who have to drive from Sioux Falls or Watertown and pay for gas and go out and eat, etc. It all adds up. It's already 40 clams to get just Mom and Dad in the gate. That's not cheap. Remember, we still live in South Dakota. And Brookings is only a small to mid-sized town (depending on your measuring stick). It's just going to take some time unless we can find a big corporate partner or very generous alum...a current NFL kicker comes to mine. Oh well, I can dream.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        I don't have any idea how it'll come out, but I would bet that the feasibility study will suggest an incremental approach. If the university proceeds, it'll be with a fully-formed idea of what the final (several steps down the road) stadium will look like. But it'll most likely start with the addition of a new east grandstand. Who knows how quickly that can happen? Perhaps more quickly than we might think, depending on some creative financing.

President Chicoine only has about 7 years left. I'm betting he'd like to have a plan underway to begin replacing the stadium before he's done at SDSU.
        Unless somebody hits a $100M Powerball and donates half of it (before taxes) to SDSU for a CAS rebuild, then yes it will have to be an incremental ("phased") renovation project, which I would guess will probably take the better part of a decade to complete--that includes securing the appropriate funding, getting the engineering work done, getting all of the BOR and legislative approvals, and building at a minimum two new grandstand structures (east and west).

So, if there are only ten years (more or less) left in the west grandstands, then we all had best get busy with whatever recommendation comes out of the feasibility study ASAP.

If it can somehow happen faster, I'm all for that.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm working on the PowerBall thing. JimmyJack Stadium has a nice ring to it.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
            One thing can't be argued, though. We do need some upgrades. And given the tough financial times, it won't be easy.

Like it or not, ticket prices are getting close to topping out. Sure, a few of us are hard-core and would pay more. But a lot of others won't. Families who have to drive from Sioux Falls or Watertown and pay for gas and go out and eat, etc. It all adds up. It's already 40 clams to get just Mom and Dad in the gate. That's not cheap. Remember, we still live in South Dakota. And Brookings is only a small to mid-sized town (depending on your measuring stick). It's just going to take some time unless we can find a big corporate partner or very generous alum...a current NFL kicker comes to mine. Oh well, I can dream.
            This is one of many reasons a ticket surcharge may not work. Also I suspect there is a conference policy regulating ticket prices. On the surface it seems like a workable idea, but like many good ideas, there are always factors affecting these ideas that do not surface until the idea is investigated.

As JimmyJack stated the feaisbilty study will point us in the directions we will go and maybe it will be incremental unless we can find some big corporate sponsors or major donors to get things rolling.

Yes we can all agree on one point and that is we need replacement of facilities, but maybe we have different views of what, where, when and how.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              How do you propose fixing up the east side? I don't they should spend any money on a bandaid approach. I would rather see us define the cost of a new east side that will replicate whatever will eventually go on the west side with the exception of suites.
              I agree. I didn't mean a band-aid. That would be the worst approach. I would like to see the east side become permanent before we talk about building a new west side or building a horseshoe. IMO, upgrading the east side would probably provide ample seating for a couple more years. Then in 2-4 years a plan to connect the two sides in a horse shoe config could be discussed.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I agree that updates are needed for the stadium, but I think it is going to be very difficult to get public funding with the current state budget deficit. It also doesn't seem feasible to expand to even 16K when the last home game last year vs. Illinois state drew only 3,276 fans. It is amazing to me that there can be so much excitement for one or two big games a year at CAS and other games like Illinois state who is a quality MVC opponent can draw just over 3k. That needs to change before expansion is taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Football View Post
                  I agree that updates are needed for the stadium, but I think it is going to be very difficult to get public funding with the current state budget deficit. It also doesn't seem feasible to expand to even 16K when the last home game last year vs. Illinois state drew only 3,276 fans. It is amazing to me that there can be so much excitement for one or two big games a year at CAS and other games like Illinois state who is a quality MVC opponent can draw just over 3k. That needs to change before expansion is taken seriously.
                  Unless I am remembering this correctly, this Illinois State game was played under the worst posible conditions. Basically a blizzard had just come through and the stands were filled with snow. I admit I wasn't there, but I don't think you can judge the ability to draw fans to Jackrabbit games by the worst weather day in recent history.

Other than that I am pretty much with you. I am hopeful that this years attendence will prove to be much more steady. All I can say is that I will be there each game including on Saturday, November 7 when the Jacks play Southern Illinois, and will bring along a few hearty friends.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

I think it is going to be very difficult to get public funding
                    There won't be a dime of public money spent on a new stadium--except, possibly, for compliance with ADA. That's just about guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      There won't be a dime of public money spent on a new stadium--except, possibly, for compliance with ADA. That's just about guaranteed.
                      I agree with your statement completely; disagree with the policy just as much. I am not sure how much this happens with other construction projects on campus, but it seems like the building of a stadium (or any other building) would be a wonderful opportunity for the engineering students, construction mgmt students, and on and on, to get some experience, not matter how limited, that would add a little bit to the education experience of those students. Not saying you build things just for that purpose, but you shouldn't ignore that aspect when you do have a need. CAS is a need.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I'm working on the PowerBall thing. JimmyJack Stadium has a nice ring to it.
                        The JIMMY JACK DOME

That has an awesome ring to it, don't ya think? It's sarcastic Friday, enjoy the humor.

Your slogan could be:

COME BACK HOME
                        TO THE JIMMY JACK DOME

Then if the weather is cold and miserable, it will be at least 69 degrees inside.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                          The JIMMY JACK DOME

That has an awesome ring to it, don't ya think? It's sarcastic Friday, enjoy the humor.

Your slogan could be:

COME BACK HOME
                          TO THE JIMMY JACK DOME

Then if the weather is cold and miserable, it will be at least 69 degrees inside.
                          Retractable dome? Maybe. Otherwise, no deal.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Retractable dome? Maybe. Otherwise, no deal.
                            Retractable would be freakin sweet! and while were at it lets make it like the Arizona Cardinals field where they can roll the field outside and its natural grass. I have five dollars in my pocket right now for you to start the funding!
                            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

On second thought, I'll put those to me winning the powerball and donating, then it could be the Thumper Dome or Thumper Field, where NDSU always gets a thumpin
                              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I really don't see any issues currently. With the number of tickets sold as walk-up, most obviously don't care. Hopefully the demand/winning continues and in time more seats can be added.

To add additional permanant seats now would be a bad idea. It's not always bad to have demand exceed supply.

But, with the current trend in the US, I could understand how some would get confused and think that it's every fans "right" to a reserved seat. Maybe they should be free and available to all. It is a public university, let's put SDSU in massive debt and build it now! (need I say sarcasm...)

Bottom line: be patient, looking back it's already come a long way fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X