Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coughlin Capacity

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Go out to CAS today and honestly tell us the field can handle the traffic it gets!
    It's a little torn up. Any chance the field will dry out? What do you want? It'll be a little brown next time we play.

Nobody's saying it wouldn't be nice to have FieldTurf (about $1 million for a new installation that'll last 10-15 years, plus $25,000 annual maintainence using $15,000 worth of new equipment) but it's not the top priority right now.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      It's a little torn up. Any chance the field will dry out? What do you want? It'll be a little brown next time we play.

Nobody's saying it wouldn't be nice to have FieldTurf (about $1 million for a new installation that'll last 10-15 years, plus $25,000 annual maintainence using $15,000 worth of new equipment) but it's not the top priority right now.
      I see now it's about the money!

Comment

I see now it's about the money!
        What's with all the exclamation points? Of course money is a factor.

I thought it might be useful for everybody arguing for FieldTurf to know the cost. There was a post recently about how we couldn't raise a $20 million scholarship endowment. The 15-year cost for FieldTurf is almost $2 million.

It would be great to have. But it's not my job to determine the priorities for athletic dollars so I'll just trust AD Sell to figure this out.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          What's with all the exclamation points? Of course money is a factor.

I thought it might be useful for everybody arguing for FieldTurf to know the cost. There was a post recently about how we couldn't raise a $20 million scholarship endowment. The 15-year cost for FieldTurf is almost $2 million.

It would be great to have. But it's not my job to determine the priorities for athletic dollars so I'll just trust AD Sell to figure this out.
          Other than money why don't you share why we should stay with natural grass!!!!!!!

Comment

Other than money why don't you share why we should stay with natural grass!!!!!!!
            I have said twice now that it'd be nice to have but isn't the top priority now as far as I know.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I'm liking the Cleveland Stadium solution: painted dirt.

Wonder how many square feet of ground you can cover with one of those ninety seven cent cans you can buy at Wal-mart. Because if it's a lot, I think that's the solution.

In fact they could even buy two colors of green so they could have a nice pattern.

Besides, about a sixth of the field is already being painted......

Oooh, I wonder if I should post this seeings how the last joke I posted here got me dinged with negative rep for having a 'bad attitude'.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                Oooh, I wonder if I should post this seeings how the last joke I posted here got me dinged with negative rep for having a 'bad attitude'.
                Rep points to compensate for whoever dinged you.

Edit: And naturally whoever dinged you just dinged me. Grow up, d-bag.
                Last edited by JimmyJack; 10-15-2009, 05:42 PM.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The thread that never dies. It's amazing. I've posted my stadium thoughts before, but I will restate one point: 20 clams is close to as much as SDSU can charge. I know alumns who scoff at $15 or $20 to go to a game at their old school...and those are people needed to continue to build the fanbase. Winning will help...but this is still South Dakota.
                  Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Go out to CAS today and honestly tell us the field can handle the traffic it gets!
                    I think we will see turf in two years. If you don't think there is a cost to mowing, painting, fertilize, seeding, watering your fooling yourselves. It would be interesting to see how the numbers compare over a 10 year period? Turf vs grass.

Plus, if I've got a recruit in watching a game with a field painted to make it look green I don't think he'll be impressed.

I look at what turf did for Howard Wood. It turned a broken down, old, open stadium into a pretty nice looking place.

There should also be some other opportunities for revenue with turf? Regional games, band contests and use your imagination.

I also heard the Bison got beat by Ill State. I can almost hear the sirens from here.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                      I think we will see turf in two years. If you don't think there is a cost to mowing, painting, fertilize, seeding, watering your fooling yourselves. It would be interesting to see how the numbers compare over a 10 year period? Turf vs grass.
                      I think you're right. Everything I could find online suggests FieldTurf IS cheaper to maintain year-by-year. Problem is, it costs $1 million up front and then another $700,000 10-12 years in to replace the carpet part when it wears out.

If Justin Sell can find the money, though, it would be fantastic.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I have always been a natural grass fan and the field at Coughlin always used to look great. But in recent years it apppears to be tougher to keep the field looking good. Maybe with the high school playing there or whatever. The longer it goes, the more I feel the field turf will be the answer. Nothing better than a nice bright field in November. With advances in turf construction, the injury issue is a moot point.

Comment

Argus Leader story on a study to update the facilities master plan and replace or renovate Coughlin: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            Argus Leader story on a study to update the facilities master plan and replace or renovate Coughlin: LINK
                            From the article:

The Jacks are currently averaging 13,150 fans per home game, or about 3,000 more than the number of available seats.

"Now's the right time," said Sell, who took office in May. "When we don't have enough seats - by a few thousand - to fit the crowd we currently have, we need to do something."
                            So it would be safe to say the seating capacity of CAS is about 10K (I wonder if this number includes temporary bleachers?). I like Sell's attitude on this matter, standing room is great for some people, but if you want attendance/season tickets to increase, you gotta have decent seats for people to sit in.

As a side note, SDSU has always been known to have a large walkup crowd, however between the student section, the Pride, and season ticket holders, would it be safe to say half the seats in the stadium are spoken for before gameday?

The time for some major renovations has come. When the report comes in this winter, and a funding campaign are announced get behind it!
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Just a thought on a post that was mentioned earlier in the thread about going to Field-turf with the field also being used for soccer. I agree that I would absolutely hate the idea of soccer lines on the field, and actually as much of a supporter I am for field-turf, I would actually rather keep the grass surface in that case. Watching the Twins game against the Detroit I noticed that the football lines and endzone paintings had been washed off with remnants being only slightly visible a day later. Maybe this would be an option for a new potential playing surface, which might justify the expense hosting soccer games on campus. Just throwing it out there, maybe soccer would rather play where they are now at Fishback.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                So it would be safe to say the seating capacity of CAS is about 10K (I wonder if this number includes temporary bleachers?).
                                The number must not take into account the East-side and other "temporary" bleachers. (On my first try, typed "belchers"...made myself laugh.)

Comment

Working...
                                X