Georgia Southern Sept 12th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Georgia Southern Sept 12th

Jacks have had very good special teams the last few years and expect that once again that will be a difference maker!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      Jacks have had very good special teams the last few years and expect that once again that will be a difference maker!
      Remember that GSU has an excellent kicker also. Booger hit the winning 48-52 yd FG in last 30 sec to over take the Rabbits in 2007 in Statesboro. This may be a toss up area between the two teams.

Our best chance is to wear out their offensive & defensive lines with our bigger guys. Especially if we can consistently hurry their QB on passing, and shut down their running game, we'll get great results.

Hope we see GSU get as flustered/flattened as occurred to YSU last year in the first Brookings game. I like that we're at full strength, no injuries and deep, deep, deep on offensive power. Hope the O line has enough horses to lead the Rabbit grounding of Eagles.

Comment

You'll find that GSU has a bit more size on the O and D lines than in the past. The O line goes 280, 294, 300, 305 and 325. The three man front D line starts a DE about the size of Batten - 6'3", 250, a nose tackle at 6'3", 311 and a defensive tackle at 6'2", 300. The GSU LB and Rover are smaller than those on the Jacks, but they are extremely quick. The middle LB, Dubose, is around 220 and had 15 tackles against Albany.

The war up front should be a good one. The Jacks will be bigger than Albany along the O line, so expect lots of stunts and blitzes from the Eagles to confuse the blocking schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by straightshooter View Post
          You'll find that GSU has a bit more size on the O and D lines than in the past. The O line goes 280, 294, 300, 305 and 325. The three man front D line starts a DE about the size of Batten - 6'3", 250, a nose tackle at 6'3", 311 and a defensive tackle at 6'2", 300. The GSU LB and Rover are smaller than those on the Jacks, but they are extremely quick. The middle LB, Dubose, is around 220 and had 15 tackles against Albany.

The war up front should be a good one. The Jacks will be bigger than Albany along the O line, so expect lots of stunts and blitzes from the Eagles to confuse the blocking schemes.
          When the Jackrabbits are on defense, there's one "little" guy who you'll want to keep an eye on. Jimmy Rogers is a 5'10" 200 pound senior LINEBACKER. He's undersized for the position, but Rogers is a standout football player. He's not big and not that fast but it seems like he always finds the ball and hits like Bob Sanders. He's the kind of non-stop, effort guy that the fans really love on defense.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

GSU has four or five guys that size playing LB. Keep an eye on #10, true freshman Josh Rowe. How that guy isn't at Auburn or Alabama I'll never know.

And yes, we know about Mr. Rogers. You always root for those guys because they leave everything on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by straightshooter View Post
              GSU has four or five guys that size playing LB. Keep an eye on #10, true freshman Josh Rowe. How that guy isn't at Auburn or Alabama I'll never know.

And yes, we know about Mr. Rogers. You always root for those guys because they leave everything on the field.
              Can't wait for the game. I'm so excited that we're playing a storied program like GSU to open the season.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I would be disappointed to see SDSU go 0-4 against GSU. We had a victory in our clutches the last time and got beat in the final play. The odds have to be in our favor this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  I would be disappointed to see SDSU go 0-4 against GSU. We had a victory in our clutches the last time and got beat in the final play. The odds have to be in our favor this time around.
                  The last time we played, the thing that really won the game for GSU was turnovers. Can't believe that hasn't been mentioned much yet.

If I recall correctly (I was in that game and have tried to block it out), we had two fumbles returned for TD's and several other turnovers. We got our butts handed to us that first half because of that. The second half started and Tyler Koch picked off a Jayson Foster pass and went back for 6. That's what got the momentum in our favor and gave us a chance to make the comeback that was ended by that kicker (I won't speak his name cuz I'm still mad at him).

On Saturday, I'm looking for a big turnover to give us a chance to break the game open. Conversely, we better hold onto that ball and control the clock to get the W.

Comment

Might be a little rain on Saturday. Bring proper gear.

Saturday: A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 69. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 48. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      Boom goes the dynamite.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no

...for those who haven't seen it.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

For lack of a better place to put this: Coach Stig is scheduled to be a guest on The Sports Buffet this afternoon between 300p - 400p on ESPN 99.1

Or listen live HERE
                        "You trusted us"

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalHouse83 View Post
                          For lack of a better place to put this: Coach Stig is scheduled to be a guest on The Sports Buffet this afternoon between 300p - 400p on ESPN 99.1

Or listen live HERE
                          There goes my afternoon, TV at 2, Stig at 3...
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
                            The last time we played, the thing that really won the game for GSU was turnovers. Can't believe that hasn't been mentioned much yet.

If I recall correctly (I was in that game and have tried to block it out), we had two fumbles returned for TD's and several other turnovers. We got our butts handed to us that first half because of that. The second half started and Tyler Koch picked off a Jayson Foster pass and went back for 6. That's what got the momentum in our favor and gave us a chance to make the comeback that was ended by that kicker (I won't speak his name cuz I'm still mad at him).

On Saturday, I'm looking for a big turnover to give us a chance to break the game open. Conversely, we better hold onto that ball and control the clock to get the W.
                            Thanks Danger. I was helping someone move that day and had WNAX in the background basically recall that the game was winnable only to have it slip away. I do hope our defense has a big game. I agree we need the Tyler Koch's to step forward this Saturday.

Comment

Sports Network is predicting a narrow Jack Rabbit Victory.

Georgia Southern (1-0) at No. 21 South Dakota State (0-0)

Two high-powered offenses meet in a rematch of an entertaining 2007 matchup, which Georgia Southern won 41-38. This year, both teams have their sights set on playoff berths and a win for either would be a huge plus on their resumes.

Lee Chapple (30-of-40, 259 yards, two TDs, one interception) has emerged as the Eagles full time and had a career-high in both completions and attempts against Albany. Freshman wide receiver Jamere Valentine (six catches, 13.2 average, two TDs) emerged as a top performer in his first career game.

Adam Urbano (seven carries, 54 yards) should get most of the carries at tailback for Georgia Southern.

The Eagles lost a hug chunk of their defense to graduation, but Harland Bower (seven tackles, three tackles for loss) and Dion DuBose (15 tackles) stepped up big for the team on defense.

Ryan Crawford gets the nod at quarterback, replacing the graduated Ryan Berry, and will have running back Kyle Minnett (1,311 yards, 14 TDs rushing) to rely on. Possession receiver Glenn Fox (66 catches, 12.0 average) gives Crawford a good target.

Defense will be SDSU's strength, with Buchanan Award candidate Danny Batten (75 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, seven sacks) heading up an experienced unit. The Jackrabbits also have one of the stronger linebacking corps in FCS with Jimmy Rogers, Chris Johnson and Derek Domino and a pair of top-notch secondary performers in safety Conrad Kjerstad and cornerback Cole Brodie.

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 31, GEORGIA SOUTHERN 28

Comment

I dont know if I'm just this slow in finding this out or what but the thing I haven't people mention yet that I just read in the Collegian today is that not only do we return a bunch of guys on defense, we also return all top 8 tacklers from last season. I think that is a reason to believe that we have the possibility of having a dominant defense this year.
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X