Georgia Southern Sept 12th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Georgia Southern Sept 12th

I don't know where they are getting their imformation but one fan on GSUfans said, "SDS is complaining about there def, and not happy about their qb decision. Mabe that will help out!" I don't know if any Jacks fan has complained about the defense all year. I think we potentially have the best defense in the MVFC.

I know they are gonna have good athletes, but with them being so young, we being so experienced I don't think its gonna be close. Low scoring, but not close. I think we dominate time of possession and the rushing game. We are way, way too good on defense to let a young, inexperienced team come in to our house and keep this game close.

SDSU 24
    GSU 3

Comment

Also from listening to Coach Hatcher in his interview I take it more as a compliment that he doesnt want to play us anymore being as he said earlier in it that he likes playing easier teams, which i think means hes saying were a tough team to play for an out of conference game. I know we have the philosophy of lets get a tough as nails OCC but it is to our detriment sometimes (i.e. last year). I think he sounded like a very good and respectful coach from listenting to him.
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I think if this ends up being a shoot out like previous years we are in trouble. With our defense I don't expect it to be that kind of game. I could be wrong, but don't think points will come as easy this year.

Comment

Expect GSU to throw it 50 times to some very talented receivers and RB. I'm sure the SDSU coaches are preparing for an air assault, because that's what's coming when the Eagles have the ball. The GSU O-Line is pretty good, and getting pressure on Chapple will not be easy. When he's on, he's very accurate. I only remember Albany touching Chapple one time on Saturday. The number of points GSU scores will depend on how talented the SDSU LB and DB are, and on the ability to apply pressure on the QB.

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever View Post
            I don't know where they are getting their imformation but one fan on GSUfans said, "SDS is complaining about there def, and not happy about their qb decision. Mabe that will help out!" I don't know if any Jacks fan has complained about the defense all year. I think we potentially have the best defense in the MVFC.

I know they are gonna have good athletes, but with them being so young, we being so experienced I don't think its gonna be close. Low scoring, but not close. I think we dominate time of possession and the rushing game. We are way, way too good on defense to let a young, inexperienced team come in to our house and keep this game close.

SDSU 24
            GSU 3
            Some guys on there type what they want to hear or what they want the truth to be. Take some of them with a grain of salt. It becomes clear who is in the know and who is full of crap pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbythekidd View Post
              Some guys on there type what they want to hear or what they want the truth to be. Take some of them with a grain of salt. It becomes clear who is in the know and who is full of crap pretty quick.
              That pretty well sums up most fan message boards.

Comment

Rest assured, we've got our share of "incognito" guys over on gsufans.com too.

Comment

Coach Hatcher's show:

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com...67&oemid=18700

And here's Coach Hatcher on the SoCon teleconference:

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/...DB_OEM_ID=4000

Good stuff.
                  Last edited by JimmyJack; 09-08-2009, 04:00 PM.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

According to Terry's latest blog Antonio Thompson is out for the game Saturday. He has really struggled to stay healthy in his career, but very effective when on the field. Also O'Brien listed as #2 which may mean Whittier is headed for a redshirt which makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      Coach Hatcher's show:

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com...67&oemid=18700

And here's Coach Hatcher on the SoCon teleconference:

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/...DB_OEM_ID=4000

Good stuff.
                      Love Coach Hatcher's accent. Obvisously he did not grow up in Bismarck North Dakota.

I know from the D2 message board that Coach Hatcher did a bang up job of coaching at Valdosta State University. He might even coach a national championship at Valdosta or gotten to the final game.
                      I especially liked the comment about his kid flying to a game for the first time. He said they could leave in an hour or so on the bus, and when they get up to SD on Friday, they could swing by the bus station in SF to pick them up.

I think this will be a coaching battle as well as he had good comments about SDSU being well coached.

Comment

[QUOTE=straightshooter;126263]Expect GSU to throw it 50 times to some very talented receivers and RB. I'm sure the SDSU coaches are preparing for an air assault, because that's what's coming when the Eagles have the ball. The GSU O-Line is pretty good, and getting pressure on Chapple will not be easy. When he's on, he's very accurate.* I only remember Albany touching Chapple one time on Saturday. The number of points GSU scores will depend on how talented the SDSU LB and DB are, and on the ability to apply pressure on the QB.**[/QUOTE]

*When he's not, he's not?
                        **Isn't this pretty much the defensive calculus on any game in any college town on any Saturday?

Comment

Hatcher did win a DII National Championship at Valdosta State and finished there with a 76-12 record. He became a college head coach in his mid-20s. He won the Harlon Hill Trophy (top DII player in the nation) as a senior at VSU, and then coached another Harlan Hill winner at VSU and the Walter Payton Award winner in Jayson Foster his first year at GSU. He was also the position coach as an assistant for Tim Couch at KY and Dante Culpepper at Central Florida. The guy can coach QBs and he's a great recruiter. That "aw shucks" demeanor he's got really plays well in a recruit's living room. He's straight out of the Mike Leach/Hal Mumme school of offensive football, and he seems to know how to pick a staff. Two guys who Hatcher hired early in their careers to work for him: Will Muschamp - U. Texas defensive coordinator and coach in waiting and Kirby Smart - U. Alabama Defensive Coordinator.

Comment

Yea NoVaJack that's pretty much how things work out every week. Hard to say how Chapple will play Saturday, but in his last two games (Furman in '08 and Albany last week) he is 69/99 with four TD. He looked a little off in the first half on Saturday, but lit it up pretty good in the second half.

Comment

I really enjoyed the coach's comments and his folksy style. Thanks for the links, JJ.

How do they get two syllables out of the word "on"?

Comment

Originally posted by straightshooter View Post
                                Yea NoVaJack that's pretty much how things work out every week. Hard to say how Chapple will play Saturday, but in his last two games (Furman in '08 and Albany last week) he is 69/99 with four TD. He looked a little off in the first half on Saturday, but lit it up pretty good in the second half.
                                Hatcher seems like a good guy. There's no arguing with his success at Valdosta. From the highlights, it looks like Chapple's got an accurate arm and makes good decisions. That's essentially what Coach Hatcher said. It's also what we're hoping to get from our 5th year senior at QB.

Watching the highlights, I hadn't realized that defense and special teams did so much of the scoring against Albany. Makes me wonder why so many GSU fans are predicting 38 or more points against us. No offense to Albany, but after watching those highlights, I feel safe saying we're a lot better than them on both sides of the ball, but particularly on defense.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X