Next: Boys from branch campus visit Brookings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post

I didn't create the law. Last time I checked it said a minor of 18 years of age can consume alcohol in the presence of a parent. HOWEVER if you read the tailgate policy it says everyone not 21 years old will be given citations. Policy is there. Just have to actually read them. This falls in line with a restaurant not serving a minor even if the parent is there.
    I think the following statutes are the ones Catrabbit is referring to:

South Dakota Codified Laws ("SDCL") 35-9-1: (Furnishing alcoholic beverage to child prohibited-Exceptions-Violation as misdemeanor-Civil liability)
    It is a Class 1 misdemeanor to sell or give for use as a beverage any alcoholic beverage to any person under the age of eighteen years unless:
    (1) It is done in the immediate presence of a parent or guardian or spouse, who is at least twenty-one years of age, while not on the premises of an establishment licensed for the retail sale of alcoholic beverages pursuant to 35-4-2 or at a special event for which an alcoholic beverage license has been issued; or
    (2) It is done by prescription or direction of a duly licensed practitioner or nurse of the healing arts for medicinal purposes.
    However, no licensee is civilly liable to any injured person or the injured person's estate for any injury suffered, including any action for wrongful death, or property damage suffered because of the sale or consumption of any alcoholic beverage in violation of the provisions of this section.

SDCL 35-9-1.1 (Furnishing alcoholic beverage to person eighteen years or older but less than twenty-one years prohibited-Exceptions-Violation as misdemeanor-Civil liability)
    It is a Class 2 misdemeanor to sell or give for use as a beverage any alcoholic beverage to any person who is eighteen years of age or older but less than twenty-one years of age unless it is done in the immediate presence of a parent or guardian or spouse over twenty-one years of age or by prescription or direction of a duly licensed practitioner or nurse of the healing arts for medicinal purposes.
    However, no licensee is civilly liable to any injured person or the injured person's estate for any injury suffered, including any action for wrongful death, or property damage suffered because of the sale or consumption of any alcoholic beverage in violation of the provisions of this section.

I'm just not around the UPD very much. When I pull into the parking lot, I pull up a chair, crack a beer, get out some chips, and start listening to the pre-game radio show. On the few occasions when I join a group in some tailgating, I'm not paying attention to UPD. I'm sticking with ignorance on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I think the following statutes are the ones Catrabbit is referring to:

South Dakota Codified Laws ("SDCL") 35-9-1: (Furnishing alcoholic beverage to child prohibited-Exceptions-Violation as misdemeanor-Civil liability)
      It is a Class 1 misdemeanor to sell or give for use as a beverage any alcoholic beverage to any person under the age of eighteen years unless:
      (1) It is done in the immediate presence of a parent or guardian or spouse, who is at least twenty-one years of age, while not on the premises of an establishment licensed for the retail sale of alcoholic beverages pursuant to 35-4-2 or at a special event for which an alcoholic beverage license has been issued; or
      (2) It is done by prescription or direction of a duly licensed practitioner or nurse of the healing arts for medicinal purposes.

SDCL 35-9-1.1 (Furnishing alcoholic beverage to person eighteen years or older but less than twenty-one years prohibited-Exceptions-Violation as misdemeanor-Civil liability)
      It is a Class 2 misdemeanor to sell or give for use as a beverage any alcoholic beverage to any person who is eighteen years of age or older but less than twenty-one years of age unless it is done in the immediate presence of a parent or guardian or spouse over twenty-one years of age or by prescription or direction of a duly licensed practitioner or nurse of the healing arts for medicinal purposes.

I'm just not around the UPD very much. When I pull into the parking lot, I pull up a chair, crack a beer, get out some chips, and start listening to the pre-game radio show. On the few occasions when I join a group in some tailgating, I'm not paying attention to UPD. I'm sticking with ignorance on this issue.
      Hardly seems "ignorant," given the time you took to research and provide SDCLs. The vast majority of tailgaters and attendees I've observed adopt an approach similar to yours.

Conversely, others have an agenda, and unfortunately, a seeming bias that causes them to ignore data refuting their perspective (e.g., this) that UPD egregiously deviates from other law enforcement. Notice, the source cited references arrests for violations. Now, the assumption was that this group observed Sat. was family because they seemed to know each other, but a fact that appears to be lost is that the day could've been truly ruined for folks, and law enforcement could've done much more than merely ticketing.

Objectivity would necessitate determining whether the "ruination" observed by Mr. Tibbs was a warning ticket or a formal citation, whether this was the first time said "family" (and whether it was a family at all) didn't abide by the written aforementioned tailgating policies, and the extent to which UPD utilized discretion in meting out "punishment" before, during, and after Jacks' games.

​​​​​​Similarly, I've been frustrated by the wait at concessions, but Saturday offered a prime example that those working concessions/beer lines aren't necessarily always to blame. I waited in line prior to the game while a group of four individuals placed separate orders ahead of me, and three of them kept asking the workers if they had specific candy (the selection of which was displayed for all to see while they waited), thereby needlessly delaying transactions for subsequent customers.
      Last edited by jakejc795; 10-10-2022, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Ok, to diverge from the UPD conversation...

Third quarter dominance the past two games:

SDSU- 52 plays run, 304 yards gained, 10 pts., 25:09 t.o.p
        Opponents- 8 plays run, 23 yards gained, 0 pts, 1 int thrown, 4:51 t.o.p

That's pretty impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

Our coaching staff is kicking butt. Halftime adjustments are fueling 3rd quarter dominance. Also credit to the boys for going out there and getting it done.

Comment

Great stats. I just hope Rogers and Lujan don't get poached by other programs.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post

Our coaching staff is kicking butt. Halftime adjustments are fueling 3rd quarter dominance. Also credit to the boys for going out there and getting it done.
              Stig mentioned adjustments during postgame on Sat. too.

Much of the pregame conversation in media centered on whether Jacks could pressure/sack Camp. I'd say they convincingly answered that, and man, was that a joy to watch. Even my soon-to-be 9yr old niece called Bock "legendary" given the number of plays and tackles he made

Comment

And the big stat of note, 8010 days since USD beat SDSU in FB in Brookings.

Comment

Side note, I sit on the East side.

That was the most lifeless sideline I have ever seen. The Coyotes did not appear to emotionally invested, especially after halftime.
                  (Of course there wasn't much for them to cheer about, either).

Comment

GREAT stats steel!!!

I am going to hope we make every quarter look like the 3rd quarter this coming saturday and that the bison are required to endure a legendary beating!! but obviously that is something that has not happened since..... ummmmm???

in the end, i will be satisfied and happy with ANY scenario that ends with zero significant injuries and a rabbits W

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Great stats. I just hope Rogers and Lujan don't get poached by other programs.
                      I suspect Rogers is the head-coach-in-waiting and is likely to succeed Stig after his contract runs its course in a couple more years. Lujan could be very difficult to hold onto, long term. Credit Stig for consistently being able to identify and hire talented, young coaches and then entrust them with a high level of responsibility. There are other coaches in the Missouri Valley who don't trust their hand-picked assistants enough to stay out of their business. Nielson, for example, recently stripped his offensive coordinator of play-calling duties. That had to be a serious blow to the guy's confidence and a blow to the morale of the entire coaching staff.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

What a difference with a 5 game winning streak:
                        many of us (me included) were blasting Lujan. Now some are worried about him being poached!! Isn’t being a fan a great thing!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post

Nielson, for example, recently stripped his offensive coordinator of play-calling duties. That had to be a serious blow to the guy's confidence and a blow to the morale of the entire coaching staff.
                          Seems to be working out well for him. They got 6 first downs on Saturday! 3 of them in 1 drive even!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Seems to be working out well for him. They got 6 first downs on Saturday! 3 of them in 1 drive even!
                            Ha! They almost scored a touchdown, too.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

After getting two first downs on their opening drive, USD went over 30 playing minutes before getting another one.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakPirate View Post
                                What a difference with a 5 game winning streak:
                                many of us (me included) were blasting Lujan. Now some are worried about him being poached!! Isn’t being a fan a great thing!!!!
                                The bulk of any struggle on offense seemed largely situational, and plays were there; the timing just needed to fine tuned.

Comment

Working...
                                X