No announcement yet.

Next: Boys from branch campus visit Brookings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPD handing out minors at a family tailgate again. They can’t help themselves. Absolutely ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

I expect it is going to be a good day and a good memory

i am not making any predictions but i expect the jacks to play very well today and if they play well i believe the score will take care of itself

also, my dad was aided by the fact that the jacks won and generally have won far more games than not. the conversion process was always better when the jacks were winning)) Literally some of the games when the jacks were winning he had little kids from opposing families chanting legs go rabbits in the second half

and as i do not expect the mutts to be winning, i expect your niece to be safe))!!

a little more reminiscing

at a bball game in verm when my son was 2, we sat next to opposing fans. they were pretty nice people but the wife was making attempts to promote her belief that the coyotes were better. at one point she said to my son, "you know coyotes eat rabbits right?"
      my son, not in any type of defiant tone or anything, completely innocent like a 2 year old would be, but without hesitation responds, "They eat rabbit dust." NOT GOING TO LIE it might still be one of my prouder parenting moments)))

That's an awesome response by your son, and this was an awesome game experience for my niece.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        UPD handing out minors at a family tailgate again. They can’t help themselves. Absolutely ridiculous.
        parents were in the tailgate area with them? Kids were 18 or older? I guess I know the law, bit what's the policy? I think policy supersedes the law(i.e. a bar can tell you "no" despite the law allowing) just curious on overall circu.stamces..
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I expected to see more red. I walked around the tailgate areas and saw a bunch of people in red. Every one of them look happy and like they felt welcome.
          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
            I expected to see more red. I walked around the tailgate areas and saw a bunch of people in red. Every one of them look happy and like they felt welcome.
            I feared we'd have a couple thousand mangy attendees as well.

I didn't see much in the way of confrontation or mistreatment, although fans of both Jacks and 'Yotes -- please refrain from blocking aisles to BS with pals during game. If it's important enough you feel the need to prevent folks from getting to their seats, go to the dang concourse

Comment

We stopped in the parking lot directly east of the stadium by a friend's pickup and cracked a beer while waiting for traffic to clear a little. We were kindly informed that it was technically an open container and we could be cited to the tune of $80. He pointed us to the nearest trash can and bid us a good day.

I appreciated the warning & professionalism but I agree with a lot on this board that rules could be tweaked to extend tailgating to one hour post game so we aren't all sitting in our vehicles burning gas & getting aggravated.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post

....I guess I know the law, bit what's the policy? I think policy supersedes the law(i.e. a bar can tell you "no" despite the law allowing) just curious on overall circu.stamces..
                I suggest that saying a law can be superseded by a policy puts you on a sled screaming down a slippery slope. I respectfully suggest the point you want to make involves the UPD using some common-sense discretion in enforcement of the alcohol laws.

It is recognized that there is discretion in enforcement of laws. Bits TD provides a good example of such discretion.

I think the UPD could be encouraged to use some discretion when coming upon a parent and their under-21 kid having a beer at football tailgating. Perhaps explaining it is against the law and directing the kid to pour the beer out is appropriate. If on the UPD’s next trip around the tailgate area they see the same kid and parent and the kid is having another cold one, then a ticket may be appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I suggest that saying a law can be superseded by a policy puts you on a sled screaming down a slippery slope. I respectfully suggest the point you want to make involves the UPD using some common-sense discretion in enforcement of the alcohol laws.

It is recognized that there is discretion in enforcement of laws. Bits TD provides a good example of such discretion.

I think the UPD could be encouraged to use some discretion when
                  coming upon a parent and their under-21 kid having a beer at football tailgating. Perhaps explaining it is against the law and directing the kid to pour the beer out is appropriate. If on the UPD’s next trip around the tailgate area they see the same kid and parent and the kid is having another cold one, then a ticket may be appropriate.
                  Perhaps we should acknowledge that for a couple of posters on here, any home game has a 100 percent chance of a UPD authoritarian "blizzard" to blanket that slippery slope.

​​​​​Details on the ticketing are absent, and for all we know other tailgaters/fans have asked UPD to respond.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                    We stopped in the parking lot directly east of the stadium by a friend's pickup and cracked a beer while waiting for traffic to clear a little. We were kindly informed that it was technically an open container and we could be cited to the tune of $80. He pointed us to the nearest trash can and bid us a good day.

I appreciated the warning & professionalism but I agree with a lot on this board that rules could be tweaked to extend tailgating to one hour post game so we aren't all sitting in our vehicles burning gas & getting aggravated.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
                    I'd be interested in learning how much more it would cost to have security/LEO presence for an additional postgame block of tailgating.

One concern I'd have is that it would theoretically divert personnel currently used to route traffic to govern tailgating

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post

parents were in the tailgate area with them? Kids were 18 or older? I guess I know the law, bit what's the policy? I think policy supersedes the law(i.e. a bar can tell you "no" despite the law allowing) just curious on overall circu.stamces..
                      As far as I know. It was a mixed tailgate with a half dozen students and about the same amount of adults. Looked to be above 18. Can’t confirm if the adults were related to the kids, but they all seemed very familiar with each other. They were all just talking and cooking and UPD came by and wrote the underage up. They were patrolling for wristbands.

Every situation is different and I have no problem with UPD handing out minors when kids are causing an issue. No one wants what happened in 2014 at Hobo Day again. But what I saw yesterday ruined an otherwise great day for some kids and their family at a quiet tailgate that wasn’t bothering anyone. Discretion is what was needed there, but I didn’t see any of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Perhaps we should acknowledge that for a couple of posters on here, any home game has a 100 percent chance of a UPD authoritarian "blizzard" to blanket that slippery slope.

​​​​​Details on the ticketing are absent, and for all we know other tailgaters/fans have asked UPD to respond.
                        You can look at my other post for details. No one called them over and they (UPD) made the decision to seek it out. Again, I don’t care if they are out there breaking up parties and kids getting out of hand. No issue with that. That isn’t what happened yesterday and I watched the whole thing from about 15 feet away. It was totally unnecessary. This isn’t the first instance of something like this I’ve heard about this year either, buts it’s the first time I’ve seen it so far.

Comment

You can look at my other post for details. No one called them over and they (UPD) made the decision to seek it out. Again, I don’t care if they are out there breaking up parties and kids getting out of hand. No issue with that. That isn’t what happened yesterday and I watched the whole thing from about 15 feet away. It was totally unnecessary. This isn’t the first instance of something like this I’ve heard about this year either, buts it’s the first time I’ve seen it so far.
                          Yeah, I've seen the other posts. I have no idea what the UPD officers are being told, what UPD's guidance is from folks like Admin, or what other tailgaters are asking them to do, and it doesn't sound like you really do either.

It's tragic to me that UPD is your focus again after a game as awesome as yesterday's was.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I think the UPD could be encouraged to use some discretion when coming upon a parent and their under-21 kid having a beer at football tailgating. Perhaps explaining it is against the law and directing the kid to pour the beer out is appropriate. If on the UPD’s next trip around the tailgate area they see the same kid and parent and the kid is having another cold one, then a ticket may be appropriate.
                            I didn't create the law. Last time I checked it said a minor of 18 years of age can consume alcohol in the presence of a parent. HOWEVER if you read the tailgate policy it says everyone not 21 years old will be given citations. Policy is there. Just have to actually read them. This falls in line with a restaurant not serving a minor even if the parent is there.
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

It is obvious some of you have some type of affiliation with UPD and that no matter the examples some of us provide nothing will change your mind. Some of the actions of UPD that I have witnessed first hand this year is inexcusable and does nothing to build affinity for SDSU and the gameday experience. But clearly it must be the persons fault and UPD deserves no blame in the situation
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                                It is obvious some of you have some type of affiliation with UPD and that no matter the examples some of us provide nothing will change your mind. Some of the actions of UPD that I have witnessed first hand this year is inexcusable and does nothing to build affinity for SDSU and the gameday experience. But clearly it must be the persons fault and UPD deserves no blame in the situation
                                No affiliation with UPD, but I do prefer to have an affiliation with fact-based decision-making. If you and Mr. Tibbs are correct and UPD choses to never use whatever latitude is available to them and discriminately cite folks who shouldn't have been, they deserve criticism.

At least one example of such discretion has been given, so what I'd advocate is considering that maybe they're doing the job they've been advised/directed to do; folks are focusing on tickets they've seen issued instead of instances where discretion was/has been utilized; and there's a certain degree of confirmation bias occurring.

Underage drinking is like speeding; sure, you might get an officer who gives you a warning, but you might also get one who's going to strictly enforce the law. In this case, there's the added element of the university potentially facing backlash if folks start reporting that underage drinking is being allowed, especially if that minor is injured and/or injures others afterward. Imagine if that were to happen and subsequent reports reveal law enforcement was aware of it and did nothing.

Regardless, if a minor drinking is that important to the family, maybe they should "pregame" where UPD isn't present and have the minor have an alcohol-free tailgating experience while on university property.

​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X