Update on SDSU and D1AA Move.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Update on SDSU and D1AA Move.

The status on Sac-State and Portland State and their future in the Big Sky is one of contention, and may explain the 4-4 vote regarding SDSU and NDSU. Portland as the article posted over on Bisonville explains was to play basketball in the Rose Garden, which is a grand facility for the Trailblazers and that failed. It failed miserably and that is why they are back on campus with their 1500 capcity facility.

Sac State orginally had a minor football franchise using their facility and upgraded some of the seating and other things for Sac State. The Franchise moved on and now they are left holding the bag and in fact some of the football seating was removed. Since the franchised left their attendence has not been much better than SDSU. Add to that coaching staff had numerous problems and they fired their coach. The new guy is suppose to turn things around. Sounds familiar.

They have a new president and the AD is Terry Wanless who was a finalist for the AD at SDSU but later got the job at UND. He made some moves up at UND including removing the Sioux Logo that got him fired. I dont think he got on good with Ralph Englestad the guy with the dough, and he and the president at UND both got their walking papers.

Wanless has not been any help to NDSU and SDSU in getting into the Big Sky. In fact he is the biggest opponent. He has had a voice in this matter since, Sac State just recently hired a president. Terry seems to forget where he came from, namely Mission South Dakota.

So yes this is an interesting part of equation, and the big city media market looked different to the Montana schools in 1995 than what it does now. Not that great by any means.

Comment

The Argus Leader has its less than positive coverage on SDSU move to D1AA. They have linked two previous articles as well which does not make much sense, since they are past and not the present. I believe certain people within the Argus Sports Staff do not want to see this happen. Why I dont know.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Saturdayfeature.shtml

Comment

While I agree the Argus has not been exactly on board
        over the Jacks move I don't think this particular article is
        that negative. I thnk once the move is made the Argus will be forced to expand SDSU Coverage based on pure interest level. It seems the announcement of the plan to move into our exploratory year will come today and the quest for a conference will continue. Interesting about speculation over the Horizon and maybe Missouri Valley is still out there. In terms of Basketball I woiuld prefer both over the Mid-Cont and Big Sky. We have closer proximity to those schools.

Comment

On the main Argus front page they've got a poll up asking "Do you agree with South Dakota State University's decision to transfer to Division I athletics?" About 300 responses, with NO leading 2 to 1 right now.

Vote early, vote often.

Doesn't really matter though...here we go!
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I agree with Jackguy, setting aside the headline the article is not to bad. The Argus like much of the Sioux Falls Media has wanted to protect Augie, however I too believe they will get on board once we make the move. It is funny that today's Brookings Register has nothing to say about the issue. I will be watching the TV for word of an offical announcement. What an exciting time for SDSU.

Comment

I guess I was anticipating what I was to read before I actually did read the article and  made the first post above. Yeah, I am with you on the current article not necessarily negative, but not a Jeff Kolpeck upbeat article that the Fargo Forum sports writer did in promoting D1AA for NDSU.  Between the Argus and the Fargo Forum its been night and day as far as promotion of the D1AA program.

Granted the Argus feels obligated to cover Augustana and USF because they are local, but they could have a much better attitude towards SDSU.

The Omaha World Herald fifty miles from Lincoln does a great job covering the Huskers.  When I moved to Nebraska 18 years ago, I could not believe how much coverage the Huskers got in the Omaha paper.

The Brookings Register seems to be always understaffed and the coverage of SDSU is slow and slow to post articles to the web for out of state readers.
              When you check all the local papers for other NCC schools, the only newspaper that is slower in reporting than the Brookings Register is the Vermillion paper.

The Brookings Register could do a much better job and they should not allow Rod Thomsgaard, the part time sports writer pooh-pooh, the D1 move.  Rod probably is an excellent teacher in full time job, but his columns knocking Fred Oien and Peggy Miller have been anything but helpful.

Oh yes I just check the Board of Regents website that is linked at the SDSU home page and the Regents are meeting to day August 9th in Spearfish at BHSU.  So more articles should follow tomorrow.

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more.  The Fargo paper has been much more positive.  The Argus needs to think of itself as the South Dakota Paper rather then the Sioux Falls paper.  Sioux Falls has grown so much (Kelo reported that by 2005 it is supposed to be 140,000 pop.) that the Argus is having an identity crisis.  They still want to be that local hometown newspaper they where 30 years ago.  Many of the new people are from all over and they need to take a wider view.

We need to do the same thing ourselves here at SDSU. I think that is why we are moving up to D I/I AA. We need to reach out to all the new people in Sioux Falls and help them become better Jackrabbit fans. We need to be South Dakota's University and their Pride!

You are 100% right on about the Brookings paper they are under staffed.  I am in Brookings and there is no story today, so its not just an internet thing.  

Lastly, you are right about Rod's articles.  He needs to be on the opionion page not the sports page.  He is not reporting so much as lobbying.  Sounds like it is all for not.  I am glad SDSU is taking its rightful place in the region and state.

Comment

Remember that the Argus is a Gannett paper (i.e. USA Today, i.e. Al Neuharth, i.e. USD). When you start seeing pro-SDSU articles in the Argus, you'll know that the transition to D1 was successful. It might take a few years (and might take something like an SDSU D1 national championship in a sport like cross-country or wrestling), but it will happen.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                    Remember that the Argus is a Gannett paper (i.e. USA Today, i.e. Al Neuharth, i.e. USD).  When you start seeing pro-SDSU articles in the Argus, you'll know that the transition to D1 was successful.  It might take a few years (and might take something like an SDSU D1 national championship in a sport like cross-country or wrestling), but it will happen.
                    Great Point! Nice post.

Comment

I wonder how much involvement Al Neuharth has in the day to day operations, especially the Argus.  Most of their staff are out of staters who use the Argus as a stepping stone in their journalistic careers. I think this is part of the problem in not feeling any loyality to SDSU or South Dakota for that matter.

Chris Solari, in a private Email told me he was from Michigan.  So I think this is part of our problem. Stu Whitney has been around for a while, but I have no knowledge of his background. Kevin Dobbs sounds like someone from Colman SD, but not sure. He could be from Oregan, who knows.

Al Neuharth appears to have no interest in athletics at USD and he has not put any big bucks up.  This seems strange since in the 1950's about 1953-54 he ran a weekly newspaper covering South Dakota Sports called SODAK Sports, that was about half the paper size of USA Today form-wise, and he could not muster sufficient advertizing to keep it aflot. It went broke. I heard him talk about that venture on CSPAN a few years back. He has been missing from CSpan as my guess he is about 75 or older.  I just wonder if he will not come up with some major gift down the road to USD.  They sure could use one.

Comment

Watched all three Sioux Falls TV stations.  KDLT and KSFY reported that President Miller met with the regents.  KELO did not run a story.  KDLT & KSFY basically said what we already know in a very neutrel way.  

Comment

Here is the latest from the Argus

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayfeature.shtml

Not much new here.

Comment

No not much new. Maybe there should not be, but I dont get any signal that SDSU is going to stay in the NCC for two more years either.

Comment

President Miller is a very smart lady. She is playing her cards close to the vest. I am sure she will make the move as close to the NCC deadline as possible. I am also sure that it will be so long NCC, hello D I/I AA. She wants to limit the amount of time the anti-SDSU forces have to complain.

Comment

1963Jack:
                                Yes President Miller is a very smart lady.  I am really happy that she has made upgrading the Athletics to D1AA a major goal of her presidency.  It really takes an outsider like her to have the courage to move up.  

Dr. Wagner was a wonderful man and he wanted our football program to return to the Ralph Ginn days, and we almost got there a few times.  I just hope our next president will be as enthusastic about the athletic programs as the past two presidents have been.

When President Miller retires, and that can't be too far off, I hope and pray we won't get some-one who has no appreciation for these programs and wants to go back-wards or sideways. Athletics are a big investment for the University and provide economic development for South Dakota, not just Brookings.

I guess I am very impatient and want to hear from the horses mouth that we are offically "moving on up to the east side.", to borrower from the Jefferson's TV theme song.

Since the NCC stuck that 18 month rule in at their May Meeting, I dont think we owe Commissoner Marcil  and the other remaining members any favors.

Comment

Working...
                                X